Who’s up for a $2800 fuse?

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
It is not as easy as you may think. You have 5 audio components. You put all of the fuses in the same way. Something is off. Which fuse do you change? Okay, you switch all of the fuses. Something is still off. Now what. You have to do it one at a time. Sorry, but I don't have the patience for that. I would rather follow the guide that QSA provided.
Always one new component at a time. Always.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The Synergistic Research (SR) Purple fuse is the best sounding fuse I've had in my system. It is significantly better than the QSA Yellow fuse in the application I chose for testing (Modwright PS 9.0 Power Supply). While both are more resolving and articulate than the SR Orange and AHP fuses I had used previously, the QSA Yellow has a cool, clinical sonic signature, and is bright on some recordings. The SR Purple by contrast is balanced (never bright), and has a naturally (not excessively) warm sonic signature. I'm done.

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
The Synergistic Research (SR) Purple fuse is the best sounding fuse I've had in my system. It is significantly better than the QSA Yellow fuse in the application I chose for testing (Modwright PS 9.0 Power Supply). While both are more resolving and articulate than the SR Orange and AHP fuses I had used previously, the QSA Yellow has a cool, clinical sonic signature, and is bright on some recordings. The SR Purple by contrast is balanced (never bright), and has a naturally (not excessively) warm sonic signature. I'm done.
Thank you. The Purple pricing is quite good, could be a very good choice.

Reactions: matakana

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
Could it be possible that fuse direction be mis-labeled during production?
Several here have reported better sound in the opposite direction to the arrow.
It's worth a try if easy enough to do as your experience is contrary to others when comparing OSA Yellow to SR Orange.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
It's worth a try if easy enough to do as your experience is contrary to others when comparing OSA Yellow to SR Orange.
I wouldn't think so. But again, my results were for one specific application.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Jeez… you would really hope, for the prices on these fuses, that you could depend on them getting the label right.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I did not compare the QSA Yellow to the SR Orange. I compared it head to head against the SR Purple and preferred the latter. My finding about the QSA Yellow was similar to what other posters found - it is super clear and resolving but has a cool, sometimes bright sonic signature that for me is fatal. What I said about the SR Orange is that I preferred it over the QSA Yellow because it is sounds more natural and musical even though the QSA Yellow provides superior resolution and dynamics. Not sure how/why fuse directionality labeling enters into this.

NanoSword

Mar 1, 2020
I did not try the SR
But I can already tell QSA yellow has some brightness

The positives that I hear from these fuses are The soundstage is open and there is air with the very noticeable improvement in dynamics, speed and transparency. However, it is still natural.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I did not try the SR
But I can already tell QSA yellow has some brightness

The positives that I hear from these fuses are The soundstage is open and there is air with the very noticeable improvement in dynamics, speed and transparency. However, it is still natural.
I found more positives than negatives with the QSA Yellow, but in the PS 9.0 power supply, in my system, the negatives were disqualifying.

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
I found more positives than negatives with the QSA Yellow, but in the PS 9.0 power supply, in my system, the negatives were disqualifying.
Are you familiar with Rhodium plating characteristics?

I could not find any disclosure, sure looks like it to me and also for me, there fuses have that reminiscent sonic characteristics which for me was a disqualifier for the negatives for me purchasing to purchase the yellow fuse.

They do have their unique hifi positives I can detect , exception that purple fuses has not been tried.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Are you familiar with Rhodium plating characteristics?

I could not find any disclosure, sure looks like it to me and also for me, there fuses have that reminiscent sonic characteristics which for me was a disqualifier for the negatives for me purchasing to purchase the yellow fuse.

They do have their unique hifi positives I can detect , exception that purple fuses has not been tried.
I find Rhodium plating unlistenable and have purged it from my system. Note that posters here have reported the QSA Purple to sound very different - much more warm and musical sonic signature. I'm not trying it because I'm not willing to spend that much on a fuse. The SR purple at the same price as the QSA Yellow has no deficiencies that I can hear.

Reactions: NanoSword

justubes

Aug 10, 2015
Yes, i did the same and had all furutech rohodiums, then Oyaides and now taken that all out.

For kicks I pulled a old furutech rhodium plated fuse and the yellow bested it easily in almost every area, but I did find a that touch of Rhodium's presentation.

I am not certain if the QSAs are plated, but the familiar shine and polished appearance of the QSAs fuses end caps sure do make me think so, also apart of that tiny sonic characteristic left behind that I cannot get out of my head.

Definately some type of plating and even more brilliant and shinier compared to nickel plating.

Reactions: NanoSword

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Sorry but im getting a bit " con " " fused " here

Definition of con · 1 : swindle , manipulate sense :)
The definition has been recently updated.

Definition of con · 1 : swindle , manipulate sense, $2800 fuse.

:)

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I did not compare the QSA Yellow to the SR Orange. I compared it head to head against the SR Purple and preferred the latter. My finding about the QSA Yellow was similar to what other posters found - it is super clear and resolving but has a cool, sometimes bright sonic signature that for me is fatal. What I said about the SR Orange is that I preferred it over the QSA Yellow because it is sounds more natural and musical even though the QSA Yellow provides superior resolution and dynamics. Not sure how/why fuse directionality labeling enters into this.
I have no experience of the SR orange and if their sound meets your tastes better than the QSA yellow no reason for you not to prefer the SR to the QSA yellow.
Certainly the chacteristics of the sound you heard with the yellow accord with my experience. I am using them with violets in the amp, on the power cable to the amp and on the power cable from the mains to the block and the yellows on the tuner. That combination is working very well and I am very happy with the resultant sound as described in earlier posts.
How much of this is down to personal tastes and how much is down to system differences is not completely clear at this stage, but experiences of the yellows is very consistent

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
I have the yellow in my preamp and don’t feel that coolness, but I am all tubes and analog. I will keep it until SR’s next color.

Reactions: justubes

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks for the update and I will look forward your report on the violets.
A bit off topic, but maybe of interest. Installing the QSA fuses freed some existing fuses. I have been meaning to redeploy them and today finally got round to a start. In particular, I fitted a newly freed Phonosophie Gold 13A fuse(sadly no longer available) to the power cable on my Music Works power block which serves the AV side of my system. A bit of a job because the cable is behind some record cabinets and CD shelves and obviously sensible to clean the plug with Deoxit while I was about it.
Worth it though. The TV sound through the Denon AV amp is definitely better so glad I made the effort

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing