Why the vinyl comparison/label

Peter Bomberg

Jul 8, 2024
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
I understand the concept but why the label? What I mean is everyone says they want digital to sound like vinyl, but we really want vinyl to sound like reality, so why the label?

When we talk about music being fluid, easy, precise, harmonious, etc aren't we trying to compare it to what it sounds like live (or what we perceive it would). To me the test is not when I close my eyes do I think I am listening to a record the test is and should be does this feel the same as the concert, recital, event, etc. (Minus the mud, hard seats, coughing, you name it).

I am not expecting a change but I am curious especially for those that listen to a lot of live performances, how do you feel/think.

I know the best SQ for me is not the flattest curve, the fastest cub, etc. it's does this make me feel like I was at the event!

Reactions: Tam Lin
Peter, I agree. The reason audiophiles don't use the sound of live voices and acoustic instruments as a reference is because few have significant experience with live music.

Peter, I agree. The reason audiophiles don't use the sound of live voices and acoustic instruments as a reference is because few have significant experience with live music.
I would disagree. Most of us do regularly go to live music events and some of us are musicians.

Reactions: mtemur and tony22
So @Tam Lin, they happily spend several 100K on a bunch of technology but not an evening in a un-comfortable chair
My seats are quite comfortable at Morton H. Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas, and the Charles W. Eisemann Center for Performing Arts in Richardson Texas.

and I was being silly, the truth is it's a bit like movies there is a balance between live performances and relaxing setting. I worked in the music industry for several years and really enjoy my warm cup of tea, and music a lot more as I get older.
So my question is even more relevant for the musicians, what do you look for realism, accuracy, atmosphere?

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
If most of you regularly go to live music events and are musicians, then as Peter asked, why do most of you use LPs as your reference?
last Saturday Joel Durand was in my room to deliver and set up my upgraded Durand Tosca tone arm he updated to the Limited Edition version for me. Joel is a classical composer, professor of music composition, musician, and acting Director of the School of Music at the University of Washington. and....he builds tone arms.

obviously he goes to live music. and makes it. and teaches it.

and uses Lp's as references. but also digital. but he is very much a vinyl lover. i won't attempt to speak for him, but have listened with him many dozens of times and he holds vinyl playback in high regard.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69
If most of you regularly go to live music events and are musicians, then as Peter asked, why do most of you use LPs as your reference?
Some are musicians, not most. At one time it was R2R. Do you have an analog front end or are you all digital? Analog is the baseline as a live performance is analog

Some are musicians, not most. At one time it was R2R. Do you have an analog front end or are you all digital? Analog is the baseline as a live performance is analog
Live performance is acoustic, not analog. Vinyl disks and magnetic tapes are called analog because the stored signal is an analog of the acoustic wave that was recorded.

Yes, I have what you call an analog front end. (Hint: Look at my WBF user profile) Why do you ask?

Live performance is acoustic, not analog. Vinyl disks and magnetic tapes are called analog because the stored signal is an analog of the acoustic wave that was recorded.

Yes, I have what you call an analog front end. (Hint: Look at my WBF user profile) Why do you ask?
Now that is a great question, how many LP's made today are actually truly analog. I don't have a clue but many concerts are or have been A/D converted for the sound board, effects processors, distribution systems, etc. then D/A converted for the amplification systems.

This of course isn't the case for smaller ensembles/venues but, ...

And I agree with you acoustic is the reference point, I want my system to sound like being surrounded and enveloped by the music not having it projected, which is maybe why I suspect immersive/multichannel will in the long run be the most realistic SQ, but I am still a stereo person for music.

Now that is a great question, how many LP's made today are actually truly analog. I don't have a clue but many concerts are or have been A/D converted for the sound board, effects processors, distribution systems, etc. then D/A converted for the amplification systems.

This of course isn't the case for smaller ensembles/venues but, ...

And I agree with you acoustic is the reference point, I want my system to sound like being surrounded and enveloped by the music not having it projected, which is maybe why I suspect immersive/multichannel will in the long run be the most realistic SQ, but I am still a stereo person for music.
I have ZERO albums that are Digital to Analog.

Your profile is blocked. LOL I really do not care. it is analog sound. Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing