Wilson Alexx V vs Rockport Orion

candidly, the bigger the system the bigger the problems is usually the result.

I found with the Continuum Caliburn turntable the extra mass and vibration damping created a super low noise floor.

That’s not true. It takes setting up hundreds and even thousands of systems to have the knowledge that a Jim Smith or Stirling Trayle have. REW and a bit of time are no substitute for experience. And REW doesn’t measure musical engagement. There are subjective elements to optimal setup.
Thanks for your (quite defensive) opinion. My ears and experience tell me otherwise. Most of the best systems I've heard didn't have an expert set them up. Note: This is not to diss any setup experts, more to say you can do as good, even better; you have unlimited time and plenty of resources to satisfy your own sonic preference. So many here like to believe it's as complex as brain surgery, it isn't.

It’s not just the dimensions or materials in the room. It’s proper speaker placement and that affects highs, mids, and bass.
Yep, and that's why I stated, "Mostly limited / most challenging in the bass region."

Mostly, but not exclusively.

In-house development would caused the prices for loudspeakers to explode. No one can afford good loudspeakers if you can't build them themselves.
In the context of this thread - Wilson vs. Rockport and price points in 5 and 6 figures, I think it's safe to say that we're far from "affordable" territory and either company has the budget and associated price point to design custom world - class drivers. Only one does so.

Reactions: bonzo75
In the context of this thread - Wilson vs. Rockport and price points in 5 and 6 figures, I think it's safe to say that we're far from "affordable" territory and either company has the budget and associated price point to design custom world - class drivers. Only one does so.
I only know one company that is in the same price segment as the two mentioned and develops its own chassis. That is Zellaton, formerly Podszus-Görlich since 1932.
Of course, all manufacturers should do this, but why should they set up a development department that costs millions when the market for good drivers is so big? That's why the only option for average earners is to read books, acquire knowledge and build things themselves. The internet is full of good kits and good, tried-and-tested ideas.

Rockport custom designs all of their midrange and bass drivers in house by Any Payor, The Orions tweeter is also designed completely in house. The other tweeters are modified variants.

Reactions: sujay
Rockport custom designs all of their midrange and bass drivers in house by Any Payor, The Orions tweeter is also designed completely in house. The other tweeters are modified variants.
normaly they use a illuminator berryllium scan speak tweeter. Maybe in other speakermodel i don't know every speaker from rockport
The bass driver cones (check pattern)are made in germany Dr. Müller, download the catalog you can see this type there.

P.S
My Tip when you want hear a amazing good berryllium tweeter
BlieSMa T34B-4 97.5db/1watt

Last edited:
Absolutely false. Each part of each driver comes from a different supplier. The skins the surrounds everything. Just call Rockport and talk to Josh or John. They will tell you the 20 or so suppliers they work with. No one makes a complete drive system to meet their requirements. Andy designed and specked every aspect. Let’s not replace fact with speculation. They are very transparent. 5 minutes of your time will answer all your questions.

I only know one company that is in the same price segment as the two mentioned and develops its own chassis. That is Zellaton, formerly Podszus-Görlich since 1932.
Of course, all manufacturers should do this, but why should they set up a development department that costs millions when the market for good drivers is so big?
See Magico, Vivid Audio, YG Acoustics, Vandersteen, etc.

They do it so they have complete control of their products that yield new innovations driving distortion down and capabilities ever further. No one made progress standing still.

Last edited:
I think if the manufacturer only sold directly, without distribution chains, the prices would be even cheaper today. If they had to develop it themselves, they would need someone who could do it and a lot of machines. Nobody who wants to run a profitable company does that anymore. It is rare enthusiasts, usually with small quantities of products, who do something like that. Just look at what a good speaker cabinet costs these days. I think it costs more than the drivers, in my opinion.

Agree ,

The most expensive item in any dynamic loudspeaker design is the cabinet , accounts for 75% of cost most of the time.... ..

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Charles, RH never “ replaced” the Lyra. It was never his to replace. He only had it in to review. As far as I know Josh has never given an industry accommodation to a reviewer and no way RH is paying retail. The very first Lyra just came up for resale in the history of its manufacture. No one “ replaces” them. It’s clear you haven’t really taken the time to compare. For the third time: re read the Orion TAS review. He CLEARLY states the Orion and Lyra were two of his favorite speakers. Please just say you’re really happy with your purchase and leave it at that. I’m happy for you
Certainly. And I went back and reviewed my emails. It was the Magico M6 that was replaced by the XVX in Robert's system.

See Magico, Vivid Audio, YG Acoustics, Vandersteen, etc.

They do it so they have complete control of their products that yield new innovations driving distortion down and capabilities ever further. No one made progress standing still.
I give up, you're right, I don't want to argue. The names you list are on Dr. Müller's customer list. They make all the moving parts of a driver except for the magnet and basket. Zellaton makes everything themselves, they have almost 100 years of experience in loudspeaker construction. They still hold the record for the lightest mass (cone) of a bass driver.
Old version of the driver..thats sounds amazing still today..byeGörlich-_1997_k.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Mike Lavigne
Thanks for reminding me mike , i already thought so .
Charles S seems to take anything RH does as some sort of " Absolute quality / reference " thing

Who can blame him. Harley is far less dogmatic and far more experienced than most people here.

Thanks for reminding me mike , i already thought so .
Charles S seems to take anything RH does as some sort of " Absolute quality / reference " thing

It’s his reference , same as you have yours, i don't see the issue , he believes RH knows and many may not , its nothing new ..

Nothing in audio is absolute , best we can get to, is it good enuff for top shelf performance ?

if so then Bob’s your uncle..

Price is irrelevant , only shrinks the tolerance acceptance and increase the expectation meter , good sound can be achieved with modest assembly done right ..

Both M9 and XVX are capable of top shelf performance , there are many others , does’nt make the others not chosen lessor of ..

Even yours :)

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu