Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX First Impressions

I just spent over six hours today listening to my friend's new Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX loudspeakers. Consistent with being blown away by the Master Chronosonic + Master Subsonic system at Maier Shadi's demo in Santa Monica, and consistent with a couple of reports by people who auditioned at Maier's both the Master Chronosonic and later the XVX and preferred the XVX, I am here to report officially that I think the XVX is now my favorite conventional cone driver speaker system. I think I prefer the XVX even to my longtime favorite dynamic driver loudspeaker, the mighty Rockport Arrakis.

Prior to the XVX, my friend had the Alexx. The height alone of the XVX over the Alexx affords the system the height and scale and grandeur I always notice and appreciate from very tall loudspeakers.

I don't know why the XVX is an order of magnitude better -- next level better -- than the Alexx. But I am certain that it is.

I think the XVX is the first dynamic driver speaker of which I was very aware that you can hear seemingly almost everything at fairly low listening volumes. It doesn't need to be played loudly to be heard comfortably.

In much the same way that people like to applaud their digital playback systems by saying "it sounds like analog," dynamic driver loudspeaker aficionados like to say their cone speakers have "electrostatic-like transparency." Believe me, if most dynamic driver speakers had "electrostatic-like transparency" we would not need electrostatic speakers.

As somebody who loves electrostatic speakers I have always been aware that speakers of other topologies are one or two steps less transparent than electrostatic speakers. I feel like the XVX truly has "electrostatic-like transparency" -- at least credibly so, and more so than any other cone speaker I've ever heard.

Just like I felt about the Master Chronosonic the XVX gives one the sense of unlimited dynamic capability. There is a limitlessness and an effortlessness to the sound that I do not hear from other box speakers. Other heroically inert box speakers sound tightly wrapped or button-downed by comparison -- like some portion of the sound is trapped in the box and having trouble freeing itself. The XVX sounds open somehow -- a sonic presentation I associate with planar speakers, not with big box speakers.

I know, I know, I know. I am thinking and saying the same things you are: these are meaningless statements as you can't compare loudspeakers in different systems from fault-prone memory; you will never be able to hear an XVX versus a Rockport Arrakis, or an XVX versus a VSA Ultra 11, in the same room with the same associated components at the same time, etc., etc. I know, and I agree with you.

All I am saying is that if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to buy a dynamic driver loudspeaker system for my personal system and cost was not a factor. . . I would say take the gun away from my head. Then I would tell you I will order XVX + Master Subsonics.

Without intending to be coy, I couch this is terms of "the XVX is the box speaker I would I buy if I had to buy a box speaker for myself" rather than "the XVX is the best box speaker I've ever heard," because I cannot hear the Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 11 and the Evolution Acoustics MM7 and the Rockport Arrakis and the YG XV in the same room in the same system as the XVX + Subsonics. So it just does not make any sense to declare, and it is analytically defective to declare, that the XVX is the best speaker I have ever heard.

My view that if I had to buy a box speaker I would buy the XVX + Subsonics is a combination of what I heard from the XVX, what I vaguely remember from hearing these other other speakers in other systems, and my slight prejudice against ceramic drivers which I would be worried I might find uncomfortable over a long period of time. (I would worry the same about beryllium drivers and about diamond encrusted drivers.)

I have owned only planar loudspeakers my entire life. I literally couldn't bear to listen to Wilson Audio speakers with metal dome tweeters. I have never been a big fan of Wilson Audio speakers in general. But I thought I heard magic from Maier's demo of the Master Chronosonic, and my experience today proves that that inkling was correct.

I don't know how or what Daryl Wilson did to achieve it, but I am reporting that to my ears the XVX is a very, very special speaker. It is a stunning achievement in dynamic driver loudspeaker design specifically, and in loudspeaker design in general.

PS: Assuming they physically fit in Michael Fremer's listening room, I have no doubt that Michael will upgrade his Alexx to XVX. He might go in not wanting to upgrade, but after hearing these there is no way he's going to be happy without the XVX.

Wilson-XVX.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Haileys ain't XVs. XVs can sound good with a 140 watt hybrid tube amp.

But it is a valid point, the XVs sound far better with more power, like 1,650 watts into 4 ohms. They use it all.

In a comparison with the XVX, the speakers should be on similar amplification -- both on a hybrid tube amp or both on a high power SS. Based on what I heard at the Audio Salon XVX demo it would be a fun shootout, the Wilson XVX are terrific. But my money would be on the YG XV.

Lots of power is always good. My amp is complete overkill for my speakers, but I like that.

Reactions: jeff1225
Haileys ain't XVs. XVs can sound good with a 140 watt hybrid tube amp.

But it is a valid point, the XVs sound far better with more power, like 1,650 watts into 4 ohms. They use it all.

In a comparison with the XVX, the speakers should be on similar amplification -- both on a hybrid tube amp or both on a high power SS. Based on what I heard at the Audio Salon XVX demo it would be a fun shootout, the Wilson XVX are terrific. But my money would be on the YG XV.
Please enlighten me on what 140 watt tube amp would drive the YG’s. I’ve only seen and heard them successfully paired with high power SS.

87 dB, 3 ohm and sealed base doesn’t seem to be a realistic possibility with 140 watts.

Lots of power is always good. . . .

Dear Al,

I think this is too dogmatic a statement. I believe that if high power is required, then lots of power is "always good." If the system needs 200wpc then 350wpc or 400wpc is "always good."

I think for very sensitive speakers amplifier
quality is more important than watts quantity. This is why I think your statement goes too far.

If I am driving 102dB or 108dB sensitive horn speakers then I think the quality of those watts is more important than the quantity. For that application I would rather have 30 or 40 SET watts than 250 push-pull watts.

Of course on a 108dB loudspeaker 40 watts is lots of power.

Last edited:
Dear Al,

I think this is too dogmatic a statement. I believe that if high power is required, then lots of power is "always good." If the system needs 200wpc then 350wpc or 400wpc is "always good."

I think for very sensitive speakers amplifier
quality is more important than quantity. This is why I think your statement goes too far.

If I am driving 102dB or 108dB sensitive horn speakers then I think the quality of those watts is more important than the quantity. For that application I would rather have 30 or 40 SET watts than 250 push-pull watts.

Dear Ron,

certainly you have a point here, and I agree.

To name the numbers for my speakers: My 92 dB sensitive monitors can easily be driven dynamically by 15 wpc push pull triode amps (have done that), but I drive them now with a tube amp of 100 wpc into the speaker impedance of 8 ohms (130 wpc into 4 ohms). Complete overkill for the speakers, but better imo. But I wouldn't drive the speakers with 500 wpc amps, there's no point.

To come back to your example: a 30 to 40 wpc SET amp is relatively even more overkill for 102 dB or 108 dB sensitive horn speakers than my amp is for mine.

Reactions: Ron Resnick
Please enlighten me on what 140 watt tube amp would drive the YG’s. I’ve only seen and heard them successfully paired with high power SS.

87 dB, 3 ohm and sealed base doesn’t seem to be a realistic possibility with 140 watts.

Chuck postulated a "hybrid tube amp," so you have a transistor output stage.

Last edited:
Some of the magic here is the new alnico magnet midrange driver that they've been working on for 5 years. Dave had hoped it would be ready for the WAMM but it was not....I agree with Ron that the metal dome tweeter was always an issue. However, I've always felt that everything else about the Wilson performance was what i was looking for so i listened 'around' that tweeter. Wilson switched away from it with the XLF and that was some years ago. I'd live happily ever after with the Alexx....until these arrived.
Michael, I currently own the XLF's and i've been on the fence whether it's worth the money to move into the XVX, what are your thoughts and how would you describe the sound differences between the two? I have not been able to get out to hear the XVX for myself yet, i'm hoping you do a video on them too.

The Sonja XV is an 85db sensitive, 4 ohm speaker with a minimum 3.5 ohm impedance.

The Ein Poweramp is 90 watts/8ohms and 140 watts/4ohms.

The Hailey is easier to drive than a Sonja, but I don’t know about XV.

Make your own conclusion...

I have just received an Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo amp. Is it up to the task of driving the XVX?

Some of the magic here is the new alnico magnet midrange driver that they've been working on for 5 years. Dave had hoped it would be ready for the WAMM but it was not....I agree with Ron that the metal dome tweeter was always an issue. However, I've always felt that everything else about the Wilson performance was what i was looking for so i listened 'around' that tweeter. Wilson switched away from it with the XLF and that was some years ago. I'd live happily ever after with the Alexx....until these arrived.

I am surprised that Alnico isn't used more in hi end loudspeakers. They have a harmonic richness and detail that ferrite and neo cannot match.

Reactions: bonzo75
I have just received an Gryphon Antileon Evo Stereo amp. Is it up to the task of driving the XVX?
i would have thought given not just the 92db efficiency and recommended 100watt minimum of the XVX but also the Gryphon's sheer power reserves and high current capability, that you should be in very good shape to drive the XVX. I have no doubt the XVX will take advantage of even more...Gryphon Evo Monos, Relentless, Boulder 3050, etc...but I cannot imagine you would feel the XVX lacked when driven by the Evo stereo.

While not a direct comp, I have heard the XLF being driven by the D'Agostino Momentum Stereo and the Monos, as well as I recall the Naim Statements and the Constellations. All magnificent in their own way, but I have 0 complaints using the Mephisto and personally prefer it.

Reactions: aangen
How is the Chronosonic XVX with a tube amp? Could something like the VAC Statement 452 iQ power amplifier be a good match?

How is the Chronosonic XVX with a tube amp? Could something like the VAC Statement 452 iQ power amplifier be a good match?

From Michael Fremer April 2020

"...By the time I wrote my opening paragraph, I'd spent almost two months of solid musical enjoyment, marveling at the relaxed and fully immersive presentation. No wonder Herb Reichert described the sound produced by two pairs of these amps, biamping a pair of Von Schweikert Ultra 11 speakers, as "Bigger than any Wilson WAMM or giant Western Electric theater system I have experienced. The soundstage went from heaven above and around the globe."

Herb needs to hear the WAMMs driven by the Statement 452 iQs to be sure of that, because the soundstage produced by a pair of these amps on the Alexx in my room was wider, taller, and especially deeper than anything I've ever experienced here (other than through the enormous Sonus Faber Aida loudspeakers, which have a rear-firing multidriver array)...

...Checking off the checklist
Frequency response? I'd guess the 452 iQ is full-range and measures relatively flat, even modulated by my speaker's 4 ohm load (though realistically speaking the Wilson Alexx is a sensitive speaker, and in my room the amps probably were never taxed beyond a few dozen watts).

However the amp measures, the sound was at all times coloration-free, exhibiting no frequency lumps or bumps and sounding refreshingly timbrally neutral, particularly from the midbass through the lower midrange, where I was expecting warmth and bloom. The bottom never sounded or felt sluggish or insufficiently extended, even on electrified rock, though its overall character was somewhat polite. The upper frequencies were addictively clean and pure, with faultless transient speed and clarity. I never felt I needed more air, or sparkle, or top-end shimmer from any of my familiar test/demo recordings.

Spatial performance? I think that's been well-covered. Dynamics? The amp's large-scale macrodynamic performance left nothing on the table.

The only area where I felt the amp didn't reach full audio nirvana was in the microdynamic region—those small, low-level dynamic gestures—where I noticed a kind of smoothness and leveling off of dynamic contrasts, coupled with what I'd call "start-and-stop laziness," where I'd expect things to "pop" with somewhat greater gusto. But truly, I'm reaching for something negative to write, because the VAC 452 iQ is the first all-tube amp I've auditioned in decades that, for me, completely satisfied with all musical genres.

VAC's Statement 452 iQ Musicbloc amplifier is among a handful of the finest-sounding amplifiers I've ever auditioned, tube, solid-state or hybrid, and certainly is the best-sounding pure tube amplifier I've yet heard in my home. Perhaps it will measure high in second-order harmonic distortion—we'll see. If that's the fairy dust, sprinkle more, please...

...If you prefer even greater grip, drive, and "slam," you are better off with an equally high-quality solid-state amp—something I found out when I returned after two months to my reference amps [Dartzeel 468 monos]. But I also quickly noted what had been lost. If your budget allows, VAC's 452 iQ should be on your hi-fi radar."

Reactions: Symbiose
Which ones do you have?

Hi,
I have a pair of Supravox Alizee, which have a single 8 inch 215-2000 driver in a TQWT cabinet. I use this as a basis for a full active DIY horn setup with an upper mid/tweeter horn (Beyma CP755Ti and 18 sound XT1464 horn OR Beyma CP350Ti and Iwata 600 horn).

Hi,
I have a pair of Supravox Alizee, which have a single 8 inch 215-2000 driver in a TQWT cabinet. I use this as a basis for a full active DIY horn setup with an upper mid/tweeter horn (Beyma CP755Ti and 18 sound XT1464 horn OR Beyma CP350Ti and Iwata 600 horn).

Rather that disrupt this thread further, I have started another to discuss Supravox Speakers

I have a pair here for review and believe it or not, the XVXes work better in my room than the Alexx, which work well enough! It may look unworkable, but it WORKS. To the point where my wife came down for a listen and said "YOU HAVE TO FIND A WAY TO BUY THESE".... that doesn't often happen....
Is that a curved room, or just distortion from the photo? I know some believe a curve in the center behind the speakers is very important to avoid sound reflection.

I recently saw a youTube video that seem to suggest that the XVXs were not easy to drive. I had presumed they were like other large Wilsons and not like the smaller models that have impedance that dips to 1.8. I think the XVXs are only 92db sensitive as well. Does this sound correct?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing