Wilson Audio Introduces the All-new Alexia (Offical Press Release Information!)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Thank you for your thoughts, Deb:). I have to say that I too have noticed a level of brightness with Titanium ( and all other metal domes) that i have listened to. I used to own speakers that utilized Titanium domes sourced from the German manufacturer MB Quart. While I owned these speakers, it never bothered me too much that these drivers were quite bright and rang at high frequencies, however, once I replaced these speakers with a speaker that uses a silk dome, the issues with the titanium dome became obvious.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thank you for your thoughts, Deb:). I have to say that I too have heard a level of brightness with Titanium ( and all other metal domes) that i have heard. I used to own speakers that utilized Titanium domes sourced from the German manufacturer MB Quart. While I owned these speakers, it never bothered me too much that these drivers were quite bright and rang at high frequencies, however, once I replaced these speakers with a speaker that uses a silk dome, the issues with the titanium dome became obvious.

good point Davey

When I heard the silk dome on the XLf as well as the SF Aida the difference was immediately apparent

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Thank you for your thoughts, Deb:). I have to say that I too have noticed a level of brightness with Titanium ( and all other metal domes) that i have listened to. I used to own speakers that utilized Titanium domes sourced from the German manufacturer MB Quart. While I owned these speakers, it never bothered me too much that these drivers were quite bright and rang at high frequencies, however, once I replaced these speakers with a speaker that uses a silk dome, the issues with the titanium dome became obvious.

Some are more sensitive to it than others. It's not the first time I have heard a statement similar to yours.

I would not say I have a problem with mine. I have only heard it a few times at high volume with high female vocalist. I thought I heard it in the movie Tron, but listened to it on other systems, and found the sound track itself is bright and a. It "metallic sounding".

It is so rare that I hear anything that bothers me with the tweeter that I don't even worry about. But if my bothered me as much as your system did, I also would consider changing speakers.

I am happy with mine... But I can still dream of upgrading.... Sasha's.... Thor's Hammer.... Mmmmmmm

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Debby, can you offer any information regarding the 90 dB rating? IIRC, all other Wilson speakers came in at at least 92?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Some are more sensitive to it than others. It's not the first time I have heard a statement similar to yours.

I would not say I have a problem with mine. I have only heard it a few times at high volume with high female vocalist. I thought I heard it in the movie Tron, but listened to it on other systems, and found the sound track itself is bright and a. It "metallic sounding".

It is so rare that I hear anything that bothers me with the tweeter that I don't even worry about. But if my bothered me as much as your system did, I also would consider changing speakers.

I am happy with mine... But I can still dream of upgrading.... Sasha's.... Thor's Hammer.... Mmmmmmm

Deb, I hate to say this, BUT maybe you should wait on the Sasha's until your dad replaces the tweet with the new silk dome and calls it the Sasha 2;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Beautifull loudspeaker would love to hear it one time , with the new tweeter, and the extended bass
Fit and finish ,as well as adjustment facilities are first class .

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
good point Davey

When I heard the silk dome on the XLf as well as the SF Aida the difference was immediately apparent

The Aida's tweeter was a real achievement - in some aspects it remembered me of the very airy and delicate treble I have listened with Quad ESL 63 driven by Futterman OTLs. There is a finesse and lack of coloration in the treble and at the same time it is hyper detailed - a good friend used a funny expression when listening to some recordings with very natural balance and plenty of treble sounds : the treble sounds seem like flies, they float in air and move very fast without trail.

One of the good things about this type of sound is that it enlarges the variety of electronic equipment you can use with the speakers - no more need to tame the brightness of some other tweeters.

Since this is a Wilson thread I should add that the XLF tweeter is also a considerable improvement over the X2 - I listened to the same recordings at the same day in both speakers.

Last edited:

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Deb, I hate to say this, BUT maybe you should wait on the Sasha's until your dad replaces the tweet with the new silk dome and calls it the Sasha 2;)

You make a good point here ASSUMING they will drop the new tweeter in the Sasha, but that is not a guarantee. That tweeter was designed for the XLF (and apparently for the Alexia perhaps because both the XLF and Alexia were in the design process at the same time...?).

You might not believe this since I am a Wilson that works at WA, and work pretty closely with my father and my brother, Daryl (who is WA's R&D's project manager). I literally have NO idea when new products are coming out! They worked on Alexia for over a year, and I didn't even KNOW about it or see it until about 4 months ago. When the XLF was being designed, my brother would tease me by flashing a design drawing in front of me so quickly that I could not even get a good look at it. It's pretty mean if you ask me!!! :(

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Beautifull loudspeaker would love to hear it one time , with the new tweeter, and the extended bass
Fit and finish ,as well as adjustment facilities are first class .

I am sure many European dealers will be getting them soon after release!

Debby

Lildebs888

May 12, 2011
Grantsville, Utah
www.facebook.com
Debby, can you offer any information regarding the 90 dB rating? IIRC, all other Wilson speakers came in at at least 92?

Some WA products sensitivity ratings:

Sasha - 91 dB
Sophia - 87 dB
Maxx - 91 dB
Duette - 90 dB
Alexia - 90 dB (which is within Wilson Audio's sensitivity range)

I can get more detailed infomation on this tomorrow (while I am in the office) if you would like, Ron?

Debby

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I would think it's a pretty safe bet that we are seeing the end of the inverted focal metal tweeter.

Does this include the current Be tweeter? Because Focal seems pretty happy with it (expanding its use to more models in its line).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would think it's a pretty safe bet that we are seeing the end of the inverted focal metal tweeter.

Doped silk is far from anything new. As far as inverted metal domes, I don't have a single issue. I do find it funny when people assail the Wilson inverted dome's yet probably didn't even own a pair of Wilson's of their own or perhaps heard an ill configured system. That said, I'm sure it is the correct progression especially with all that etchy, bright, brick walled digital music out there these days. The silk will soften the hardness of said music.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Hi Debby. I guess I was thinking about the X-2, the Maxx3 and WP series. In answer to your question, that would be great.

Some WA products sensitivity ratings:

Sasha - 91 dB
Sophia - 87 dB
Maxx - 91 dB
Duette - 90 dB
Alexia - 90 dB (which is within Wilson Audio's sensitivity range)

I can get more detailed infomation on this tomorrow (while I am in the office) if you would like, Ron?

Debby

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Doped silk is far from anything new. As far as inverted metal domes, I don't have a single issue. I do find it funny when people assail the Wilson inverted dome's yet probably didn't even own a pair of Wilson's of their own or perhaps heard an ill configured system. That said, I'm sure it is the correct progression especially with all that etchy, bright, brick walled digital music out there these days. The silk will soften the hardness of said music.

Actually, look at any set of Wilson measurements with that inverted titanium tweeter and it's readily apparent why it was "bright" to many - and why many preferred tubes with Wilson. Look at the breakup of the tweeter at high frequencies.

Good soft domes like the Dynaudio Esotar2 have yielded great extension in modern times, so not surprised Wilson went in this direction.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Like anything Keith, it depends on the room. If it's more damped, the extra zing may be beneficial and an untreated, overly ambient room, they may sound a bit bright depending on the electronics. There is no perfect tweeter configuration let alone speaker considering that every room acoustically is going to be unique and different.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing