Wilson X1/Grand Slamm: Still Improving after 20 years!

May 30, 2010
Portugal
Are you talking theoretical or practical? Have you actually heard the Alexx driven by an SET in the 30 watt to 45 watt range?
Both theoretical and practical. For theory you have the Stereophile measurements. As I listened to the Alexx sometime before the review, we tried it with the Audio Research REF 150 (4 KT120's push pul, 150W) that I owned at that time and it could not drive them properly, although it could easily drive the XLF's. We moved to Momentum's to listen to them.

Believe me, the Alexx needs real power. As said in Stereophile measurements "The impedance is specified as 4 ohms nominal, with a minimum magnitude of 1.5 ohms at 2.85kHz." This kills any 30W SET - electronics can not make miracles. Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#CAwkhjum4o31HBpd.99

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Both theoretical and practical. For theory you have the Stereophile measurements. As I listened to the Alexx sometime before the review, we tried it with the Audio Research REF 150 (4 KT120's push pul, 150W) that I owned at that time and it could not drive them properly, although it could easily drive the XLF's. We moved to Momentum's to listen to them.

Believe me, the Alexx needs real power. As said in Stereophile measurements "The impedance is specified as 4 ohms nominal, with a minimum magnitude of 1.5 ohms at 2.85kHz." This kills any 30W SET - electronics can not make miracles. Read more at https://www.stereophile.com/content...-loudspeaker-measurements#CAwkhjum4o31HBpd.99
You are mistaking me for someone who is seeking to be persuaded of something.

Lamm lists the ML3 Signature as having an output of 30 watts into a four ohm load.

Einstein lists the Silver Bullet OTL as having an output of 45 watts into a four ohm load.

I have heard the Alexx driven by the Einstein twice at significant length, at the home of a reviewer. It sounds fantastic and is very dynamic. Thirty watts is not quite 45 watts, but the system is in a room which is about twice the size of Steve’s room.

I stand by my suggestion that the Alexx is an interesting option for Steve.

May 30, 2010
Portugal
You are mistaking me for someone who is seeking to be persuaded of something.

Lamm lists the ML3 Signature as having an output of 30 watts into a four ohm load.

Einstein lists the Silver Bullet OTL as having an output of 45 watts into a four ohm load.

I have heard the Alexx driven by the Einstein twice at significant length, at the home of a reviewer. It sounds fantastic and is very dynamic. Thirty watts is not quite 45 watts, but the system is in a room which is about twice the size of Steve’s room.

So I stand by my suggestion that the Alexx is an interesting option for Steve.

I remember reading your review of the Alexx played with the Einstein Silver Bullet OTL - I was particularly interested as the Alexx's are in my probability list if the future XLF replacement becomes too expensive and I love OTLs ...

The Silver Bullet OTL lists 80 W/12 Ohm , 65 W / 8 ohms (45 W / 4 Ohm) . It is a complex OTL with feedback that can drive low impedance speakers. The ML3 is a classical SET, that should be used in the non feedback mode, having high levels of distortion above 20W at the 4 ohm tap and high output impedance - up to 1.9 ohm. Measurements are not an indicator of sound quality, but they can tell us a lot.

So I stand by suggesting that the Alexx is not a good candidate to Steve's room, particularly now that he sold the subs. Perhaps if Steve had faith in such system he would have already changed ... but 4 dB lower sensitivity and less than half the impedance are not promising.

I do not want to persuade anyone - I post for the pleasure of participating in WBF and presenting my opinions about subjects that I have some experience. Anyway I would love to have opinions from Lamm and Wilson dealers, perhaps they have real field experience on these matters.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
:) LL21,
The jumpers finally arrived yesterday and was able to install solo, but it was difficult keeping all together in the tight space.
First chance to really audition w/b tonight BUT looking for your opinion on the way I ran the jumpers (2 on each speaker w/Wilson copper plate).
The jumpers are labeled directional which is my quandary. Using the Wilson color id, red and black terminals, I oriented them, arrows, from black to red terminal on the jumper block.
Is this OK? How did you do it?
Thanks, Dave
Hope you are enjoying your system...this is the photo of the back i took from when it was setup in the other house. Current setup is the same.
Cannot recall directionality and will see if there is any back there when i get a chance to peek.

Wilson TA Ref XL Jumpers.jpg

dbeau

Apr 20, 2018
OKC,USA
LL21,
THANK YOU..
FYI, I was able to critically listen to the 2 jumper/Wilson block combo last night for about 4 hours. It was a step back from 'before' and my wife, acute hearing, confirmed it. Lacked the definition and depth before jumpers. Today, I took off one jumper, leaving one per speaker with the Wilson copper block, and all is well again = wonderful. I only had time to listen for about an hour, wife too, and know that it is as good as before and very possibly better - at least it sounded so revealing and natural (at least as close as I've ever heard anywhere before).
We'll settle in with it tonight and forward for a good evaluation without the intensity. :)
Thanks again, Dave

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
LL21,
THANK YOU..
FYI, I was able to critically listen to the 2 jumper/Wilson block combo last night for about 4 hours. It was a step back from 'before' and my wife, acute hearing, confirmed it. Lacked the definition and depth before jumpers. Today, I took off one jumper, leaving one per speaker with the Wilson copper block, and all is well again = wonderful. I only had time to listen for about an hour, wife too, and know that it is as good as before and very possibly better - at least it sounded so revealing and natural (at least as close as I've ever heard anywhere before).
We'll settle in with it tonight and forward for a good evaluation without the intensity. :)
Thanks again, Dave
Hi Dave,

Great stuff...I have done TA Ref XL jumpers by themselves, copper busbar by itself...and then combined. I then upgraded to the highest level TA and did the same. I found combined is the best for me...but i have never done only 1 connection.

...which ones did you connect with the jumper?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21,
I used level 5 jumpers from AntiCable.
http://anticables.com/jumpers#!/Level-5-Signature-Jumpers/p/83895022/category=3461121
Now a confirmed improvement and thanks to you.
Dave
Fantastic! I remember Martin Colloms very kindly wrote to me when i was seeking advice about trading in my speakers at that time for the Wilson X1s (at no cost other than shipping!)...and he said he felt that electronics at that time (2008?) had not caught up to what the X1 was capable of. He wrote:

"...The X1 was a tour de force...and remains a top class, very dynamic , very low distortion speaker which gets better with more modern electronics. My ratings were based on the sources available at the time. If [your current speaker] is a Yamaha grand, the X1 is a concert grade Bosendorfer, plus some !..."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio convertors (DACS), turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing