Windows 10 ?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Friday the 13th (Sept.) today.
It's been over three weeks since my last post here.
Since then a reoccurring issue made the news...high CPU usage with Windows 10.
I didn't bother to update the thread as it's always the same repetitive thing...Windows 10 and the multitude of issues that come with it since.

But now I decided to post because me too I experienced the High CPU usage starting about a week or more ago and it still persists plus I couldn't access my computer few days ago!
I was @ lost, it took me a while and many tries to get back in operation.
I am now and it was the first time it happened that way. The solution was simple; unplug everything...USB devices, Ethernet, power cord, battery, wait for few minutes and plug back things...and wait some and adjust some and be patient. ...A manual reboot because other type of reboots simply didn't work. I spent roughly more thzn four hours trying many things. It's frustrating.

I'm not yet with version 1903, and I'm in no rush ...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...art-menu-usb-audio-warning-upgrade-windows-10

I'm still with version 1809, and up-to-date with it.
I'm simply afraid to update to version 1903 because of what I'm reading every day or two in the computer world news of Windows 10 (several sources).

I know I know, it's different for a number, a group of Windows 10 users, ...still there seems to be a large enough number of users having frustrating issues, and experienced users @ that.

So when I post here it's not only to report happiness or frustration from only me but in the actual realisation that I am not alone.

That CPU thing is real. Right now I'm ok, but when I start the PC I need to wait for stabilisation.
Windows 10 for me is an exercise in patience, and a kind of Russian rollercoaster ... way of saying to describe the frustration occasionally.
_____

On another matter; my Mom's iPad was super slow recently and she was frustrated.
I helped her by sending her couple tricks to improve the performance and speed.
She was very happy as it did the trick.

My bro is also an iPad user but his is five years old or so and the battery had it, him too.
So he's about to buy a new iPad. Batteries don't last forever, and you can't replace them...you have to buy a new iPad (tablet). ...Of course, Apple needs to make money, it's only normal that products are built without upgrading or battery replacement...you simply but a new iPad/tablet et voilà.

Happy 13th and a lovely weekend ...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Friday the 13th (Sept.) today.
It's been over three weeks since my last post here.
Since then a reoccurring issue made the news...high CPU usage with Windows 10.
I didn't bother to update the thread as it's always the same repetitive thing...Windows 10 and the multitude of issues that come with it since.

But now I decided to post because me too I experienced the High CPU usage starting about a week or more ago and it still persists plus I couldn't access my computer few days ago!
I was @ lost, it took me a while and many tries to get back in operation.
I am now and it was the first time it happened that way. The solution was simple; unplug everything...USB devices, Ethernet, power cord, battery, wait for few minutes and plug back things...and wait some and adjust some and be patient. ...A manual reboot because other type of reboots simply didn't work. I spent roughly more thzn four hours trying many things. It's frustrating.

I'm not yet with version 1903, and I'm in no rush ...
https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordon...art-menu-usb-audio-warning-upgrade-windows-10

I'm still with version 1809, and up-to-date with it.
I'm simply afraid to update to version 1903 because of what I'm reading every day or two in the computer world news of Windows 10 (several sources).

I know I know, it's different for a number, a group of Windows 10 users, ...still there seems to be a large enough number of users having frustrating issues, and experienced users @ that.

So when I post here it's not only to report happiness or frustration from only me but in the actual realisation that I am not alone.

That CPU thing is real. Right now I'm ok, but when I start the PC I need to wait for stabilisation.
Windows 10 for me is an exercise in patience, and a kind of Russian rollercoaster ... way of saying to describe the frustration occasionally.
_____

On another matter; my Mom's iPad was super slow recently and she was frustrated.
I helped her by sending her couple tricks to improve the performance and speed.
She was very happy as it did the trick.

My bro is also an iPad user but his is five years old or so and the battery had it, him too.
So he's about to buy a new iPad. Batteries don't last forever, and you can't replace them...you have to buy a new iPad (tablet). ...Of course, Apple needs to make money, it's only normal that products are built without upgrading or battery replacement...you simply but a new iPad/tablet et voilà.

Happy 13th and a lovely weekend ...

Sorry to hear of your problems Bob.
I had a problem a few weeks back which Microsoft solved but were not sure it was completely solved and kept in touch. I had to go back to them as I kept running out of storage.
A corrupt file which they sorted in about 10 minutes support session since which time it has all been fine and a number of subsequent 1903 updates have all loaded with no problems.
My limited experience of Windows support has been excellent.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Barry,
The last couple days it has been better, since they updated automatically...still on 1809.

I used to contact Microsoft in the past to resolve my issues, but now I resolve them on my own.
You need a second computer to resurrect a "wounded" one...to search for tips.

There's no doubt on my end and on others too that the high CPU usage is something new recently from few weeks ago. For some people it is caused by Cortana. For me it's several processings and Edge browser. It stabilizes after ten to twenty minutes, so I plan ahead.

I resolved the main issue that I mentioned yesterday. It's a brand new day after last night's harvest moon. All good to go in a perfect world of imperfections. :)

It's the wind's fault, and nobody else.
When the computer goes berserk we listen to more music from older sources. :cool:
Or we watch John Wick ...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Barry,
The last couple days it has been better, since they updated automatically...still on 1809.

I used to contact Microsoft in the past to resolve my issues, but now I resolve them on my own.
You need a second computer to resurrect a "wounded" one...to search for tips.

There's no doubt on my end and on others too that the high CPU usage is something new recently from few weeks ago. For some people it is caused by Cortana. For me it's several processings and Edge browser. It stabilizes after ten to twenty minutes, so I plan ahead.

I resolved the main issue that I mentioned yesterday. It's a brand new day after last night's harvest moon. All good to go in a perfect world of imperfections. :)

It's the wind's fault, and nobody else.
When the computer goes berserk we listen to more music from older sources. :cool:
Or we watch John Wick ...

Hi Bob
That is interesting.
The initial problem I had was a Blue Screen and MS Tech Support thought it was caused by a software problem/other applications. MS advised me to have another PC standing by in case a reinstall was needed but happily not required.
Whether that corrupted the storage file or not I don't know but happily all sorted now.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
So that makes two of us good to go ...

One day @ a time, there's no use to rush what's coming up to us.

Thanks Bob
I should have mentioned previously that I don't use Cortana so that wasn't the culprit.
All well here. Lovely warm sunny day about 22C and same for tomorrow forecast with 24C. The garden is recovering from the earlier heatwaves now that temperatures have returned to normal, but needing regular watering.
Our climate has definitely changed in recent years and it is a challenge to maintain a traditional English garden. The high 20s/30sC don't suit my roses among others.
Best
Barry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I don't use Cortana either. 16° Celsius right now, rain yesterday, wind today.
I like it more cooler, it's better for my heart.
And the rain of the last few days is welcome; good for the grass color and plants and trees and water creek's level.

Windows 10 (on laptop) is working very good today. The planet Earth is on orbit, following its trajectory...destiny...with all the people living on it. Nothing new to report that we don't know already. :)

* I'm thinking about our great great grandchildren and the World they'll inherit from us ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I installed it on 3 machines. Non-event.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Are you running version 1903, and if yes how overall satisfied are you?

I haven't had any issues with the updates. Maybe I have been a little lucky but things have been smooth sailing (so far).

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing