Would you Pay $250 to Hear Specific Equipment at a Dealer?

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
To be clear, the fee applies where a prospective customer asks for an appointment to listen to specific gear. It is not an admission fee.
That was clear from your post. You are getting feedback that this is not only atypical, it is a bad policy that may indicate the dealer isn't very good at their job.

Personally, I would check with the distributor of the brands you are curious about and ask if there are other dealers who can help without charging a fee. And if in-home demos are possible for some (all?) of the gear.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
That was clear from your post. You are getting feedback that this is not only atypical, it is a bad policy that may indicate the dealer isn't very good at their job.

Personally, I would check with the distributor of the brands you are curious about and ask if there are other dealers who can help without charging a fee. And if in-home demos are possible for some (all?) of the gear.
Until now, I have not shared my own reaction to this approach, because I wanted to hear what others thought without my suggesting any sort of baseline. However, as enough folks have weighed in, I will now share that my reaction was to terminate the call.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To be clear, the fee applies where a prospective customer asks for an appointment to listen to specific gear. It is not an admission fee.
So if I just walked in I could get it for free?
Don't get me wrong. It's his time and his property. The OP ask if I would pay.
Tell me at least the customer would get a credit toward purchase.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
So if I just walked in I could get it for free?
Don't get me wrong. It's his time and his property. The OP ask if I would pay.
Tell me at least the customer would get a credit toward purchase.
Yes, it appears to be the case that if you just wandered in and the specific equipment you wanted to hear was already in use, there would be no fee. Now perhaps if you asked to audition the equipment upon entering there might be a charge. And yes the fee applies toward any purchase of the equipment.

unboxed

Apr 24, 2017
Question. Is the retailer selling the equipment at MSRP? If the sale is close to the 6-figures mentioned the retailer might do well to find out how serious a buyer is before disenfranchising them. Even with a significant discount there is a lot of potential profit on the line.

Looking from the other side maybe the equipment the retailer carries is so famous he gets a lot of tire kickers who just have to hear XYZ MKII speakers. Again an argument for screening.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
I have no idea whether the dealer would provide a discount. However, if I were inclined to demo on his terms, which I am not, I might also be inclined to negotiate any discount up front, before paying the fee. The equipment is no more or less famous than that of any number of other well respected high end audio brands.

I really hope this model does not become a trend, but I said that the first time I was asked to pay for bread at a restaurant, which now seems to be a very popular model :-/

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Sorry but I have never seen or wanted to listen to anything that requires me to pay $250.00 just to sit down and listen to audio gear. Maybe there are people who will pay for this. If they do great for them. Sorry but this hobby is not that special.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes, it appears to be the case that if you just wandered in and the specific equipment you wanted to hear was already in use, there would be no fee. Now perhaps if you asked to audition the equipment upon entering there might be a charge. And yes the fee applies toward any purchase of the equipment.
Fair enough if the customer is so inclined. It just seems to me if that was the policy it would be clearly stated.
Aa an aside ime appointments were for the benefit f the dealer not the customer.

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I’ve changed my mind. I would pay $250 to demo a dealer‘s system if they provide two glasses of 2013 Taste of Diamonds champagne and I get to keep the empty bottle. ;)

Reactions: Famester

Holmz

Apr 19, 2022
I had that happen at a place in Melbourne Au.

It is not that bad if they have some music that they sell.
I’ll usually buy some music at the end of a listening demo as a gesture when the shop does not have the policy.

Reactions: Solypsa

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Personally I don't frequent brick andstores anymore..CAF is all I need.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Like a number of WBF discussions, this seems like a whole lot of nothing. If someone is seriously considering a $100k system and there are no local dealers for the equipment he’s interested in, and there’s a dealer in a city that he visits frequently who does carry this equipment and is willing to arrange a demo, then a $250 fee seems inconsequential. That’s an insignificant sum under the circumstances. And it buys him, I presume, a more or less private demo on a date and time convenient to him.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Personally I don't frequent brick andstores anymore..CAF is all I need.

Same here. Everything I own now I bought online based on reviews and user comments.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I love 30 day return.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Like a number of WBF discussions, this seems like a whole lot of nothing.

Except a little bit of harmless fun.

If someone is seriously considering a $100k system and there are no local dealers for the equipment he’s interested in, and there’s a dealer in a city that he visits frequently who does carry this equipment and is willing to arrange a demo, then a $250 fee seems inconsequential. That’s an insignificant sum under the circumstances. And it buys him, I presume, a more or less private demo on a date and time convenient to him.

In any hobby you'll find a retailer with rigid business ideals encountered before gaining entry. A number of principled reasons can underly this demeanor which ultimately hold no sign of further agreements, a next door. The owner is free to set their own rates and let the free market decide.

Everyone has hangups and poker tells whether they admit it or not.

Last edited:

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
I’ve changed my mind. I would pay $250 to demo a dealer‘s system if they provide two glasses of 2013 Taste of Diamonds champagne and I get to keep the empty bottle. ;)
I'll meet you there and we will split the "demo" fee.

• Haha
Reactions: Audire

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I located a shop in a region to which I travel for business a number of times a year that carries one of the integrateds and a pair of the speakers that are both on my short lists. So I called the shop to confirm that they had the models on display and discuss well in advance (as opposed to just showing up one day) coming in to hear them together. The dealer stated that they had both models on display and would be happy to have me come in and hear them, but that I would be required to pay a fee of $250 which would be applied to any purchase, but would otherwise be non-refundable.

So he had both models in the shop on display already
The only thing he had to do for you is connect a couple of cables and arrange the listening room a bit
I would stay far away from this dealer to be honest , what a shit service

Ps Where are the days i could just walk into Mijn Hifi in nijmegen on a saturday afternoon and listen to a couple of avalons on ML gear , i didnt have to buy anything i just had to say it sounded great which it did.
By the way they took the effort to invest in a soundproof listening room which most dealers dont do

Last edited:
Reactions: MagnusG

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Two comments.

Bill Parrish / GTT Audio does not charge a fee. He operates out of his home by appointment only, has no attitude and has several rooms of excellent, well regarded hi end gear. Also takes trade ins and has some top notch used gear.

Absent wanting to buy gear from this dealer, what is the reluctance of the OP to disclose the dealers name?

Last edited:
Reactions: PYP

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The OP could be a hypothetical. Or a trial balloon.

Last edited:

MagnusG

VIP/Donor
Oct 5, 2022
Saltsjöbaden, Sweden
I have no idea whether the dealer would provide a discount. However, if I were inclined to demo on his terms, which I am not, I might also be inclined to negotiate any discount up front, before paying the fee. The equipment is no more or less famous than that of any number of other well respected high end audio brands.

I really hope this model does not become a trend, but I said that the first time I was asked to pay for bread at a restaurant, which now seems to be a very popular model :-/
I wouldn’t pay extra for bread at a restaurant, however if I did I would at least get to eat it. But if the waitress wanted money for her trip to the kitchen and back she would be on the same level as this dealer. I would shame him in relevant forums.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing