Your Personal Top Three Speaker-Amp Combos That You've Actually Heard.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
If when you get your Antileon Evo, you have the opportunity to try it with Ref6 and the Gryphon Pre Amp, I would very much like to hear your opinion.

I can say this, I had a Ref 5 (not se) before the Ref6. Ref6 was a large improvement. Deeper soundstage, greater clarity, like veil being lifted. For me a very good upgrade. I hope the Gryphon (either one) will be as dramatic. Will report back in a few months as room is not ready yet

Reactions: asiufy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Cessaro Liszt horns < Bakoon Amp-13r SS
Martin Logan Spire stats < Concert Fidelity hybrids
Azzolina Gran Sfera horns < Thomas Mayer 46 tubes

Reactions: asindc

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Reactions: HughP3

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Focal Grand Utopia driven by Rowland amps.
Martin Logan Statements e2 driven
by 2 sets of VTL Wotans (preferentially in your underwear).
MBL 101E’s with ML Statement e2 sub towers driven by by MBL 9011 amps.

Last edited:

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Cessaro Liszt horns < Bakoon Amp-13r SS
Martin Logan Spire stats < Concert Fidelity hybrids
Azzolina Gran Sfera horns < Thomas Mayer 46 tubes

I was thinking of trying the Bakoon 13r with my 107db Avantgarde Horns. AG's are mostly known for pairing with Sets, but I've been wanting to find a low powered ss amp that has the right balance of transparency and mass. I'm also looking at the Berning designed LTA Ultralinear.

Could you describe what you heard and liked about the combo of the Bakoon and Cessaro horns? Thanks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's ok wil. Bear in mind that the demo was a few years back, and hampered by some anomalous room responses. And yet the sound was so good, it's lodged in my subconscious.
And the demo was right at my most fevered pro SETs/anti SS mindset.

So, the first recollection was of amazingly good speed. Not the enhanced leading edge that I've heard in Naim, Spectral and some Class D amps, more like natural pace unhampered by veils. The only thing I've heard in SETs that match is Thomas Mayer (but on 10dB more efficient full range driver horns).

The other main takeway was of excellent texture. Here, triodes deffo have the edge, but the combination of excellent speed and suprisingly good instrumental body, and zero noise, grain or glare, really allowed the Liszts to shine. And indeed this demo remains the most emotionally connecting horns demo I've listened to, beating by a wide margin Tron 211s and Mola Class D on Liszts, Tron 211s on Trios. Only Mayer 46 tubes on Pnoes and Azzolina Gran Sferas, and homemade 45 tubes on AG Duos comes close.

Have some other thoughts on the Amp-13R best left to PM, drop me a line.

Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I was thinking of trying the Bakoon 13r with my 107db Avantgarde Horns. AG's are mostly known for pairing with Sets, but I've been wanting to find a low powered ss amp that has the right balance of transparency and mass. I'm also looking at the Berning designed LTA Ultralinear.

Could you describe what you heard and liked about the combo of the Bakoon and Cessaro horns? Thanks

Great speakers wil. maybe a picture?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wisons' claim to fame is the WATT Puppy.
The WATT was initially a portable studio monitor. It should be named the WATT Entec. Wilson never credibly denied using off the shelf parts. WAMM was also a mosiac of parts.
I am not saying Wilson does not make great speakers. I don't Alon and Magico would get away with that.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
From what it looks like the master chronosonic is full of scan speak illuminator midrange.
i see it like this, its possible to make your own units but you better be good at it .
I think magico certainly is , but in the end its the overall Package what matters

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing