Zero Distortion: Munich Coverage with some videos

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
http://zero-distortion.org/munich-2019/

Please use headphones or stream to a speaker. Videos are short, but you will probably not have time to go through them in one setting, so come back for a later listen. There is not much point in just scrolling through this report by reading.
This write up has many brief videos, quite a few on western electrics, followed by other horns. Some other videos or verity audio, Engstrom (with Verity, Goebbel, Kharma), some videos of Michael Fremer’s demo of the SAT direct drive TT in the CH marten room, and of Nishikawa San demonstrating the Techdas AF0 in the CH vivid room.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
More in the link

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
More in the link
Fantastic thanks Ked... wow, just magic to explore these snapshots. Really interesting listening back to back the sound grabs from room to room... and the sense of the Shostakovich on WE is worth the price of entry alone.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask and bonzo75

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for the fun video tour and interesting report!

Is this the first time you have heard the ESD Acoustics horns?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
On the Royal Ballet, The Zesto/Verity sounds promising. It has the drive. The attack/energy of cymbals could cut through air like that in a good system. I think it loses to Gobel in capturing venue cues. But the Gobel sounds a little laid back not so lively just portray every instruments in place really well. With CH I think maybe need to crank up the volume more, have to do warp 9.

With Scheherazade a mobile phone recorded youtube can capture an obvious drive if the system has one. Maybe with a tt is easier.

I think your Engstrom Kharma Piano vid is not Kharma but Gobel. Is that piano from the Kronos. Don't feel nothing with this video. That is no good piano. ;)

I could show you a totally different sound from the AP45 Belafonte Ked.

Why do I only hear music that I am not familiar with on Cessaro. You think if they change to different music would be better?

DCS and Wilson is Thailand's favorite combo too.

The Blumenhofer is very interestingly promising and good looking. Never heard of it before. German made?

Tang

Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75 and Hieukm

Hieukm

Oct 2, 2016
On the Royal Ballet, The Zesto/Verity sounds promising. It has the drive. The attack/energy of cymbals could cut through air like that in a good system. I think it loses to Gobel in capturing venue cues. But the Gobel sounds a little laid back not so lively just portray every instruments in place really well. With CH I think maybe need to crank up the volume more, have to do warp 9.

With Scheherazade a mobile phone recorded youtube can capture an obvious drive if the system has one. Maybe with a tt is easier.

I think your Engstrom Kharma Piano vid is not Kharma but Gobel. Is that piano from the Kronos. Don't feel nothing with this video. That is no good piano. ;)

Why do I only hear music that I am not familiar with on Cessaro. You think if they change to different music would be better?

Tang

According to the industry expert, you are not supposed to tell much from the clip Mr Tang. Your ears must be exceptional :D

Reactions: RogerD

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
According to the industry expert, you are not supposed to tell much from the clip Mr Tang. Your ears must be exceptional :D
Yeah Hieu. I need experts to tell methat and discredit me a little.;) Nothing out of anticipation. I learn to set a trap for people to jump on me from Micro. :D

Tang

Reactions: bonzo75 and Hieukm

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

DCS and Wilson is Thailand's favorite combo too.

The Blumenhofer is very interestingly promising and good looking. Never heard of it before. German made?

Tang

Wow just wow Tang - you Cessaro owners must be spending a lot of time on youtube to master this.

I haven't heard the previous Blumenhofers I like though most were at a show apart from the one that Ron and I heard here http://zero-distortion.org/reed-idlerfeickert-firebirdpluto-12athales-blumenhofer/ - never liked it before but this was really good.

yes you are right it is Engstrom Goebbel.

The Goebbel is indeed more laid back than the Verity. The Verity Zesto was my second favorite room at the show except for the fact that they are a bit light sounding and do not have weight of big cones. The would tie with the Odeon, AN with Diesis and Blumenhofer on 3. But it is the most coherent, flowing cone model with natural midrange and high tone. Used price is 5k GBP for Leonores and maybe 10 for this Amadeus? Only thing is there are alternatives like Tannoy and Devore for those who want natural sound through smaller non-horn speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Added the Thomas Mayer PAP video. And a small write up

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thank you Ked for the excellent Video Snippets-- yes the WE is the clear standout from the crowd--just goes to show they knew what "natural with impact"was in those days!;). The AG's sounded as I've heard them on numerous occasions boomy and honky--Fremers demo left me cold as well.
I've always been a Verity fan and yes they tend to be tad lightweight--but I like the way they don't energise a room to sonic extinction like say some of the other pretenders do.
The Vox were my second choice of the vids(Yes I used my "Hi End" headphones!)

Appreciate the trouble and the Posting--Kudos:)

BruceD

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Are you serious? I can hear it. In fact I'll write an impression for each, full well knowing that in person it'll be different but also that a good bit of character comes through on videos;

WE sounds echoy... and overly soft. Maybe some other things, too. It sounds kinda gutless.

AG's, what is that "wump" sound?? Pink Floyd never sounded so weird with drum.

Blumenhofer sounds ok, character is a bit one colored.

Vox sounds very detailed, no body, timbre is sorta a consistent "revealing" nature.

Odeon is kinda flat/SS sounding in these vids.

TechDAS is rounded and one colored (low timbre differentiation)

Verity sounds nice, a little 60hz coloration, but ya, it has some drive, sounds capable of body. It's not flat. Volume changes make sense and read. But that Jazz album sounds like poor album to show off the goods.

Gobel no texture, no drive

VAC way better than Gobel for Royal Ballet.

Kharma... not sure here. Maybe it's just the format. It doesn't sound very natural, but I get a little bit of natural. Maybe that's why DDK likes the speakers, they're capable of that more than most? Mostly I don't get a bunch of gummy plastic sound, a lack of notably bad things. Overall it's just not quite invigorating. But SACD could be to blame.

Gobel piano, weird.

Verity digital, I think the format/DAC is the lacking part there, just guessing. I hear what maybe could be like other Verity room hidden in it.

Gobel review, meh. Same issue as TechDAS room.

DCS Wilson, not that bad sounding for digital, kinda surprised a bit there. It's still pretty Wilson, but hey, maybe the Sasha is better than I'd expect.

BelFonte - not sure I trust the 45rpm, clip too short.

" "
The Who, not actually a great album for stereo checking... It's kinda flat in general, and not much crest factor. People think otherwise, but it just ain't true!

Cessaro, too dumb a track to really make an impression

Konda, has some potential but does sound a little flat, probably from lack of power as Ked says.

ESD ESD, real potential, way better than WE. But lots of questions left from the only clips.

VDH VDH, kinda flat, not convinced on volume tracking

Audio Note, HA, I wouldn't want to make that comparison. Kinda flat.. meh volume tracking.

TM PAP, speakers might be over damped a little for amps, I hear some potential, but probably not from this combo specifically

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thank you Ked for the excellent Video Snippets-- yes the WE is the clear standout from the crowd--just goes to show they knew what "natural with impact"was in those days!;). The AG's sounded as I've heard them on numerous occasions boomy and honky--Fremers demo left me cold as well.
I've always been a Verity fan and yes they tend to be tad lightweight--but I like the way they don't energise a room to sonic extinction like say some of the other pretenders do.
The Vox were my second choice of the vids(Yes I used my "Hi End" headphones!)

Appreciate the trouble and the Posting--Kudos:)

BruceD

Thanks Bruce, hope all is well, you weren't on the analog discussions recently.

Reactions: BruceD

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Even through the limited recording, if you aren't convinced about what 'jump factor' is, the Shostakivich should do the trick.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry Folsom you are way off how it was in person while Tang is bang on

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Even through the limited recording, if you aren't convinced about what 'jump factor' is, the Shostakivich should do the trick.

:D

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Thanks Bruce, hope all is well, you weren't on the analog discussions recently.

Ha!-Sorta sitting on the fence re posts these days--I get the impression on the Site now if you say something outa whack-- you will get
your head bitten off usually by the Commercial members who tend to guard their patch with increasing diligence.
Not a fan of too much confrontation I'm afraid :(
Always enjoy your banter though Ked--keep up the good work!

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing