Zero Distortion: Munich Coverage with some videos

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang, the reason you did not like the piano on the Engstrom Goebbel is you are using a horn yardstick. Pianos on these speakers will never match up to what good horns do (or dual concentric 15 inch driver like tannoys), but you need to change your perspective to compare with the American sound (not the turntable, but those multi driver cones with crossover confusion and tiny drivers)

Reactions: Hieukm

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Tang, the reason you did not like the piano on the Engstrom Goebbel is you are using a horn yardstick. Pianos on these speakers will never match up to what good horns do (or dual concentric 15 inch driver like tannoys), but you need to change your perspective to compare with the American sound (not the turntable, but those multi driver cones with crossover confusion and tiny drivers)
What is the American sound?

(Here is a trap for you to get jump on and get your head bitten off. Hehe :D)

Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What is the American sound?

(Here is a trap for you to get jump on and get your head bitten off. Hehe :D)

Tang

It is similar to American food that gets popular the world over - sugared water, fried chicken, big Mac... These guys can sell anything. Have you ever had a situation where your wife wants to cook your son natural food but he wants to go out to eat Mac chips and coke? At that age they believe anything. But kids grow up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fyi, the Shostakovich is a Telarc digital LP

Reactions: tima

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks Ked. I enjoyed this new format report immensely. Great stuff.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Yes, thanks for the efforts, Ked. The 'snippets' approach is great, just enough to get a good impression of what's going on but no draggy bits.

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, thanks for the efforts, Ked. The 'snippets' approach is great, just enough to get a good impression of what's going on but no draggy bits.

You mean you don't want me to give vocal commentary in between in a slow, dragging manner?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
You mean you don't want me to give vocal commentary in between in a slow, dragging manner?
Only if you sniff haughtily, and belabor obscure points of audiophilia ad nauseam. Tapping with a conductor's wand would help.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Only if you sniff haughtily, and belabor obscure points of audiophilia ad nauseam. Tapping with a conductor's wand would help.
Hmmmm, haughty belaboured sniffing, now there’s a writing style worth regulating. Perhaps we need a new special branch task force of the Hyperbole Police armed with modified conductor’s batons as a fierce new forum riot nightstick... also applicable for the next dude that swaps his seat at the symphony!

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hmmmm, haughty belaboured sniffing, now there’s a writing style worth regulating. Perhaps we need a new special branch task force of the Hyperbole Police armed with modified conductor’s batons as a fierce new forum riot nightstick.

yes and just think that those batons could indeed be "light sabers" so hyperbole would be quickly dealt with ;)

Reactions: the sound of Tao

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Ha!-Sorta sitting on the fence re posts these days--I get the impression on the Site now if you say something outa whack-- you will get
your head bitten off usually by the Commercial members who tend to guard their patch with increasing diligence.
Not a fan of too much confrontation I'm afraid :(
Always enjoy your banter though Ked--keep up the good work!

BruceD

I bet you are not alone who's very afraid to share your opinion without getting hammered.
It's funny because life is short and it's nice to feel free of expressing intelligent ideas and different experiences.

I had to quote you; it makes me feel sad.

And that's a good pick for an avatar ... :cool:

Reactions: BruceD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think Ked should barter w Breuninger prior to entering rooms. I'm sure he can offer a better rate.

Reactions: sujay

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think Ked should barter w Breuninger prior to entering rooms. I'm sure he can offer a better rate.

Don't you think I should charge a premium for keeping my trap shut

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What is the American sound? (...)

Tang

Well, I always think about the big Genesis's or Infinity's when thinking of it, even the Snell type A. I had friends owning them and have nice memories of such systems. Big scale, powerful bass and good imaging. The ability to fill an whole room with sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The smaller infinity (betas I think) are still a great value for money and apogees were too. But those days are gone. Just as the days of the old blues and Jimi Hendrix have over there

Reactions: sujay

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Ked,

enjoyed the video's and listened to most of each one but ran through them quickly to get a feel for Munich. just did it on my laptop but some magic comes through here and there. one of these years i will go for myself.

WE's did seem to stand above......during my down and dirty process for what it's worth.

thank you for your efforts as always.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked,

enjoyed the video's and listened to most of each one but ran through them quickly to get a feel for Munich. just did it on my laptop but some magic comes through here and there. one of these years i will go for myself.

WE's did seem to stand above......during my down and dirty process for what it's worth.

thank you for your efforts as always.

When you have time go through the WE videos completely

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing