A new star in 2019 : Innuos Statement Server

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well maybe, when you buy a € 12,000 product, you should have a complete manual at your disposal. To say that they are a small company and that they have not had time to do it, is unacceptable.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I don't remember anybody making excuses for a lack of a manual, specially not the one you put out there.
For the record: the Innuos products DO come with printed documentation. It's just not up to the level Francisco requires and/or expects.
There is also an online manual available here as well: http://www.innuos.com/en/go/innuos-manual
As it's such a simple product (the bulk of the complexity will lie with Roon), the documentation is perfectly adequate for the intended target audience, and as Francisco himself clearly laid out a few posts ago, his preference is for a different kind of server.

thanks,
Alex

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I still did not manage to know what databases Innuos rippers use to check the accuracy of the ripped files. Did any one find any information on this subject?

Innuos Statement gets metadata from Gracenote and GD3 during ripping.

But for the details of the process, you have to ask the Innuos customer support dept.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco,

I was not debating, I was pointing out a fact, Mike's server ran Windows, and Innuos runs Linux. You're the one that brought security into this.
I do agree with you that forums are a great, open space for, among other things, asking questions and getting answers. But I still think, when you buy a product, you deserve better than having to go on a forum to get answers. And I've pointed out that Innuos' support staff would've gladly answered your question by now, if only you asked them. I am sorry you only have WBF, as I consider dealer and brand support extremely important, and paramount to the survival of this industry.

cheers,
Alex

You are manipulating the argument - anyway the proof of my point is that even you, were not able to answer my simple question that I already asked a few weeks ago.

The high-end is a very special industry. Most of the time, manufacturers and dealers do not want to tell us the complete truth about their products, particularly concerning digital products. They give us just enough to keep our interest, nothing else. Innuos is not different from other companies - and surely they do a great job and have a great product.

I appreciate technical aspects and fortunately we have a forum where some people also enjoy knowing more than marketing literature. It is why I ask questions, even knowing there is a probability they will not be answered. This happened before, for example when debated the Trinity DAC some years ago. Surely I will not ask questions about products that I have no interest in.

We have companies that consider that systems are a turn-key affair, where consumers should be passive listeners and only dealers or distributors should access the equipment set-up. Goldmund, for example is one of them and many people like their great systems. I respect the position, but it is not my cup of tea in this hobby. I am a hands-on curious audiophile. :)

FIY I am also discussing these aspects and our forum debates with the Innuos dealer, who is a good friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: nonesup

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Innuos Statement gets metadata from Gracenote and GD3 during ripping.

But for the details of the process, you have to ask the Innuos customer support dept.

Thanks, my question was not on metadata, but on how they check rip accuracy.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't remember anybody making excuses for a lack of a manual, specially not the one you put out there.
For the record: the Innuos products DO come with printed documentation. It's just not up to the level Francisco requires and/or expects.
There is also an online manual available here as well: http://www.innuos.com/en/go/innuos-manual
As it's such a simple product (the bulk of the complexity will lie with Roon), the documentation is perfectly adequate for the intended target audience, and as Francisco himself clearly laid out a few posts ago, his preference is for a different kind of server.

thanks,
Alex

Alex,

No, my preference is not for a different type of sever, it is for different type of documentation, information and a few extra features. The Statement seems an excellent choice for the DCS Vivaldi stack.

Also IMHO the indented audience and level of exigence of a 12k euros server is not the same of that of a 3k euros server. BTW I now know that Innuos people consider some of my points - they will probably address some of them in due time.

See for example this table on ripping software - it has the level of details some of us like to know. IMHO expensive servers with ripping features should supply similar information. https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Comparison_of_CD_rippers

Last edited:

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Francisco,

That link you sent only shows specific pieces of software, no "expensive servers with ripping features", which implies a hardware+software solution. It is quite possible Innuos is using one of those, but this information is, frankly, irrelevant to 99% of the population. For the 1% that needs to know, the dealer/brand is always available to provide it. There's no sinister conspiracy aiming to keep you away from information, but a conscious decision to simplify what's a complex matter.
When I say the Innuos is not your kind of server is because you don't want that simplification, or at least do not appreciate it. That's fine. That was just my observation, and seeing how there are other servers out there that do not hide the complexities of it all, you might be better served by those, than one in which the company tries their best to hide the complexities instead of exposing them.
I'm glad you're enjoying the SQ with your Vivaldi, and hopefully the information you want will be coming soon :)
Have you done any ripping comparisons, between the Innuos x a computer running one of the software in your link?

cheers,
Alex

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Francisco,

That link you sent only shows specific pieces of software, no "expensive servers with ripping features", which implies a hardware+software solution. It is quite possible Innuos is using one of those, but this information is, frankly, irrelevant to 99% of the population. For the 1% that needs to know, the dealer/brand is always available to provide it. There's no sinister conspiracy aiming to keep you away from information, but a conscious decision to simplify what's a complex matter.

Do consider knowledge about the the ripping software irrelevant? :eek:

(...) I'm glad you're enjoying the SQ with your Vivaldi, and hopefully the information you want will be coming soon :)
Have you done any ripping comparisons, between the Innuos x a computer running one of the software in your link?

cheers,
Alex

Why spending my time doing such comparisons if a simple answer can save hours of work? I hate rediscovering the wheel!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
BTW, you can ask Mike Lavigne to what has happened to his music server some years ago ...

His *Windows* -based music server, I might add...

Nothing happened to his *Windows* based music server.

He did have a compromised Windows system, again NOT his music server, in his home.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Do consider knowledge about the the ripping software irrelevant? :eek:
No, I don't. That's why I asked if you had first-hand experience with all the different software!

Why spending my time doing such comparisons if a simple answer can save hours of work? I hate rediscovering the wheel!

First hand experience usually trumps all, IMHO... And I thought we were on the forum to share (first-hand) experience. Specially since the software is only part of the ripping process, as the drive used matters too...

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Wow, this thread is getting heated. Can I ask again, anyone heard the new Roon Nucleus+ music server? It seems an ideal solution by the guys who know (Roon and Linux).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, I don't. That's why I asked if you had first-hand experience with all the different software!

I told before - I am a registered user of dBPoweramp and all my rips were carried used this software.

First hand experience usually trumps all, IMHO... And I thought we were on the forum to share (first-hand) experience. Specially since the software is only part of the ripping process, as the drive used matters too...

First hand experience in computer audio takes a lot of time and listening. We are in the field of the so called "small differences" that are immeasurable in terms of classical audio measurements and IMHO we need long term listening to bypass and avoid our biases. I am not the kind of person who has instantaneous opinions on all kinds of gear.

As we have tools to check rip accuracy I prefer to trust them. Since long we know that the drive used does not matter if it was quality enough - I am sure that Innuos choose a proper drive. However even the best driver can have problems - no product is 100% reliable during its operational life.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Wow, this thread is getting heated. Can I ask again, anyone heard the new Roon Nucleus+ music server? It seems an ideal solution by the guys who know (Roon and Linux).

Yes,it seems great, but unless you (or someone you want to trust) try it with your DAC you can't know how it sounds.

And IMHO the thread is not heated, it is very cold - the only real heat it can get is new factual information. ;)

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

IMHO it's not cheap.
A nunber of published reviews and user reviews commented that if the music file library was large, even the higher spec Nucleus+ was barely able to handle the computing and would become slow in reaponse.

Will Roon1.6 improve this pitfall?
I am waiting for user comments.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

I have, but this thread isn't about the Roon Nucleus. Perhaps if you asked in the appropriate thread, you'd get responses.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Its not new it's been around for a year or so....
I had the + version...slow.....

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Interesting. It boots up in 3 seconds. seems fast to me. Did you do lots of DSD conversion for example? I wouldn't need that, or HQ Player or up sampling.

How was it sonically?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing