Aesthetix Io Users Group

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
How do you roll tape around the spindle and keep the same distance from spindle as each time you wrap the tape, invariably an unequal deviation of distance will occur from the spindle to various points of the template. It won’t be perfect, at least the way I envision wrapping the spindle with tape, and not removing the platter. The SME V templates that came with my V Arms were always loose with the spindles and was also an issue and SME never provided any directions as to how to cinch the spindle or template holes to make them snug. I guess if you get it done correctly then you can use it. However, the Wally tool is fairly straightforward as well and you can use the mirror to align the cartridge. That is what it I have been using for a while now.
You need this:
IMG_0031.jpeg

if you want a snug fit and better precision you can roll tape around the spindle like this but you don't have to:
IMG_0033.jpeg

Additionally you can do the same to spindle bush's lower, wider part. Just one turn made carefully and equally is enough. This way you can achieve better precision than any other protractor cause none of them snugly fits the spindle.
IMG_0035.jpeg

J.R came to the house and spot checked my alignment and he was impressed. So, if I can do it, so can anyone else. It’s part of the toolbag.
That's great.

Last edited:
Reactions: audioquest4life

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
Wally arc protractor is maybe the best protractor available but it’s not the best for SME or any sliding base tonearm. I recommend getting SME V’s original paper protractor directly from SME together with a spindle bush. IMHO It’s the best protractor for SME V. Don’t forget to roll a piece of tape around the spindle to fill the gap between spindle and the bush. This will provide a more precise alignment. BTW no photocopy or print out will substitute the original.
I was always amazed at how well the SME provided jigs would align the tonearm and cartridge. I did find over time that the indentation for the stylus had too much play and made accurate settings more difficult. I actually wound up doing basic alignment with the SME jigs, then used the WallyTractor for precise overhang. Had to finagle it a bit, but it was worth it.

I too did not find any advantage to the SME damping oil and just cleaned out the chamber and left it empty.

My SME days are over, I now have a Clearaudio tangential arm with a different kind of setup alignment challenge. Not to mention aging eyes and can no longer focus on the fine details required for a cartridge alignment.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Offset: I use the SME protractor + spindle bush. It is ok but I better be careful, I don't like putting the stylus into the small hole (any platter movement and things could go wrong). Also, just a little movement of my head, looking from above, makes the lines change. so I think of it as a fairly rough measure.
Azimuth error: I adjusted using the Fozgometer, but can check a bit by listening.
Damping: I have mainy used it without engaging the damping. I am not sure, am I still in the "no thank you" camp, or in the "little bit" camp. Easy to experiment with, though.
Generally I am not sure what exactly is the problem. Is the sibilance just a symptom of a too hot recording? Or that complex music is harder to get right? On some albums I hear the same problems from streaming and from the LP. So its not like my cartridge (or the Io) is way off.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Chasing sibilance

Hard to do.

First: I don’t have much sibilance, as such. Rather, some distortion, especially evident in the treble. Cymbals not natural. Voices too hard / harsh. Is it the cartridge, or the Io? Mainly, no. I hear the problem in digital recordings also, and often, even more clearly.

The problem is clearly related to ‘complex music’. The more complex – many voices, or band plus symphony orchestra – the more problems. Some of it related to a too hot recording. So I use the old band-aid – turning the volume down on some complex high intensity passages. Luckily my preamp has a remote volume control.

I wonder if the «hard at the start better at the end» impression is wrong. Or not consistent. Often, used LPs are more worn at the start, with more scratches and mistracking, less at the end. I don’t get a consistent difference between the start and end of an LP, using new mint LPs. So there goes my theory!

I run the Io very sparingly these days, but notice, it does need an hour or so of warm-up, to sound its best.

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
In many ways the Rhea is what the Io should be in terms of convenience. Loading on the fly, multiple inputs on the fly and variable gain on the fly all with remote control

I have installed a couple of Rheas locally for friends up to the signature level. I have not seen the Eclipse version. My comment is that it is a very capable phono. However, it seems more so than the Io, you must take extreme care in low noise tube selection. Usually, if you are in the Rhea camp you are not a super nutty enthusiast and you tolerance for noise is less so you can get discouraged. I have seen this happen.

I think if you install selected tubes.. your friend will be thrilled.
Could not enjoy this hobby very easily without my Rhea Signature. Bought it is a stock Rhea, and then upgraded it. It’s been a dozen years or so and now I’m going to get the eclipse on it. It breaks down like this for me, I just can’t have an I/O because I need three cartridges and tonearms in play, mono, stereo, and something for visiting cartridges. Just got a Metis and as soon as we get a good feel for the new pre in play, off goes the phonostage to Glenn for the update. Plus, want the software update to handle the Metis remote on the Rhea.

Last edited:
Reactions: OGH and Kcin

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Detroitvinylrob - based on my Io experience, the Eclipse upgrade will be worth it, you won't look back. I would also order some selected ultra low noise tubes for the critical positions in the Rhea from Aesthetix, while you are at it. Then, you can experiment from there. I was very lucky to find NOS tubes that were equally low noise, or even better, but that does not happen every day.

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
So far the Metis/Rhea Signature compo is a heavenly match (and will only get better). Though I’m still getting used to the dead quietness in the performance of the Metis. It is a bit off putting because I’ve never had anything so quiet. Don’t want to suggest that it is too pristine, but it is taking some getting used to. The music is simply lovely. All smiles here.

Reactions: Kcin

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Detroitvinylrob - based on my Io experience, the Eclipse upgrade will be worth it, you won't look back. I would also order some selected ultra low noise tubes for the critical positions in the Rhea from Aesthetix, while you are at it. Then, you can experiment from there. I was very lucky to find NOS tubes that were equally low noise, or even better, but that does not happen every day.
Yes, I have an original set of their “select” that came with the Rhea new but have never been used, if memory serves. Also have a closely guarded shoe box of NOS Telefunken smooth plates and Amperex Harleen Bugle Boy or Clef Note, hospital graded etc, so not worried there. Hopefully enough to last a life time. I’ll certainly ask Glenn what he recommends. Thanks. In fact, just checked, have several sleeves of RCA 7058 that GB recommended way back. Forget what those sound like…

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Closely guarded shoe box....any extras? Or, I might steal it, in the night : - )

Here is a question for all.

You have a quad of 12ax7 that sound very good but is getting too noisy in the first gain stage of the Io. You maybe dont hear it when playing music, but between the tracks and in silent passages. I am not talking about bad noisy tubes, where the noise is like a storm in the background, but decent fellows, yet a bit past their prime time.

These tubes may have cost a lot, and you dont want to throw them away, just because they are not quite up to the job in the first gain stage. You may know from experience that they still work very well (no noise problem) in other applications, like your tube headphone amp.

Now - where do you place these tubes in the Io, to give them a second chance? Does anyone know the next-most noise-critical position in the Io, after gain stage 1? If the quad has no impact on the overall noise level in this position, chances are, it can be used elsewhere in the system, with good results. Some more "life time".

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Closely guarded shoe box....any extras? Or, I might steal it, in the night : - )

Here is a question for all.

You have a quad of 12ax7 that sound very good but is getting too noisy in the first gain stage of the Io. You maybe dont hear it when playing music, but between the tracks and in silent passages. I am not talking about bad noisy tubes, where the noise is like a storm in the background, but decent fellows, yet a bit past their prime time.

These tubes may have cost a lot, and you dont want to throw them away, just because they are not quite up to the job in the first gain stage. You may know from experience that they still work very well (no noise problem) in other applications, like your tube headphone amp.

Now - where do you place these tubes in the Io, to give them a second chance? Does anyone know the next-most noise-critical position in the Io, after gain stage 1? If the quad has no impact on the overall noise level in this position, chances are, it can be used elsewhere in the system, with good results. Some more "life time".
Yeah agreed, my Rhea Signature is indeed quite picky about low noise, especially first gain stage, not unlike the Io that many of you cherish.

In my experience, never throw out a vintage tube that is still working. I can always find another circuit down the road or
with a buddy who has a less sensitive application.

Not sure I have enough NOS provisions to get us through. My plan is to grow ancient! About four decades of careful procuring, and many date matched pairs and quads are well hidden away. But still, a relatively small stash and I like to play it safe with unobtainium.

PS. I have set out a couple of Acme bear traps around my stash space to offer a bit of a challenge should someone care to go night creeping . :)

Happy Listening

Last edited:

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Bear traps! Catching bass also, I presume. I'll be over : -)

Where to put somewhat-noisy but good tubes, after they have done their duty in gain stage 1?

Based on posts 542, 543 and 815 above, the rough answer seems to be that gain stage 2 and 3 are *somewhat* noise-critical, maybe one more than the other (not clear to me). I asked Glenn at Aesthetix, who answered that the only way to be sure is to test the tubes in the Io itself. As always, he answered right away, confirming the excellent customer support at Aesthetix. He wrote:

"The 1st gain stage consists of a different electrical environment than the 2nd or 3rd. Therefore, how a tube performs in the first gain stage is different from the second & third. So not only is the word 'noise' relative, but also subjective. Put the same tubes in a guitar amp and see if they are as quiet as in the Io. They will not be, I promise you!

The next test, if you want to evaluate them further, is to put a pair in the V3 position., then V5, and listen to see how quiet they are."

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Bear traps! Catching bass also, I presume. I'll be over : -)

Where to put somewhat-noisy but good tubes, after they have done their duty in gain stage 1?

Based on posts 542, 543 and 815 above, the rough answer seems to be that gain stage 2 and 3 are *somewhat* noise-critical, maybe one more than the other (not clear to me). I asked Glenn at Aesthetix, who answered that the only way to be sure is to test the tubes in the Io itself. As always, he answered right away, confirming the excellent customer support at Aesthetix. He wrote:

"The 1st gain stage consists of a different electrical environment than the 2nd or 3rd. Therefore, how a tube performs in the first gain stage is different from the second & third. So not only is the word 'noise' relative, but also subjective. Put the same tubes in a guitar amp and see if they are as quiet as in the Io. They will not be, I promise you!

The next test, if you want to evaluate them further, is to put a pair in the V3 position., then V5, and listen to see how quiet they are."
Any tubes in my Io that get noisy go into the retired tubes box. I find no point trying to eek out more life if they are already noisy. Fortunately, I started collecting 12AX7's thirty years ago and have a well hidden stash. They are all rigged to leak if anyone tries to steal them.

Have you tried them in the power supply instead? That "might" be more suitable. Although I have found that quiet tubes in the power supply also make a huge difference.

Tnewell

Mar 1, 2023
Anyone else here currently experiencing super long repair times at the Aesthetix factory? My Io Eclipse has been there since late July of last year. Jim and Glenn are great guys but this is getting a little irritating.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Anyone else here currently experiencing super long repair times at the Aesthetix factory? My Io Eclipse has been there since late July of last year. Jim and Glenn are great guys but this is getting a little irritating.
Just business as usual, they always take forever, forever and a day if you live in Europe ! :rolleyes:

Reactions: bonzo75

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
My Io repair took several months last year. They were very up front and advised me when I sent it in for repair to expect the long delay.

I was fortunate to locate a loaner phono stage in the meantime.

Ultimately, I am glad I had the repair done at Aesthetix, they also upgraded the power supply transformers while they had them. That was quite the nice upgrade and reduction of background noise.

Tnewell

Mar 1, 2023
My Io repair took several months last year. They were very up front and advised me when I sent it in for repair to expect the long delay.

I was fortunate to locate a loaner phono stage in the meantime.

Ultimately, I am glad I had the repair done at Aesthetix, they also upgraded the power supply transformers while they had them. That was quite the nice upgrade and reduction of background noise.
I’m also getting the power supply transformer upgrade. Thankfully I still have my Rhea Signature as a backup

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jim White is very happy with the new transformers. I think that my new Io is more transparent than the Ios of yore.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Jim White is very happy with the new transformers. I think that my new Io is more transparent than the Ios of yore.
Ron - I have an Io of yore. Well not your but yore. Got it back in 1999.

What has always impressed me about Aesthetix is their customer support and integrity. While they may be slower than I would like, they have supported my purchase of the phono stage for almost 25 years. Mine started out as a Io with volume control and single power supply. It is now dual power supply and has the Eclipse upgrades and new transformers.

They have done all the upgrades and added the second power supply, at "reasonable" costs. While there is some cost to it, it is better than purchasing a new one or seeking better performance in a different product. Well to me anyway.

And yes - their upgrades and improvements over the years has resulted in a much quieter Io. Early on, they did a no charge upgrade to replace some resistors with quieter Roederstein resistors (yes, resistors can add noise).

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
I’m also getting the power supply transformer upgrade. Thankfully I still have my Rhea Signature as a backup
Sorry to hear about the delay in getting your upgrades. Seems to be shipping and availability are issues that are prevalent in some sectors and sporadic in others. For our new house build, our 400 amp transfer switch is missing in action with an estimated springtime delivery. The same for our windows, MIA. This is putting a cramp on the next steps, insulation, drywall, etc. All on hold, Arghhh.

I did the upgrade to the partial Eclipse with dual power supplies and new transformers almost two years ago. It took about 2 months to get it back. I sent it in around Oct/Nov time frame and got it back just before Christmas 2020. It was worth the wait, although I was deprived of good quality listening sessions while it was gone. I really think I am addicted to the intoxicating musical qualities of the Io with the Eclipse upgrade. It is jus that darn good and fire and forget unless you want to play around with tubes...that is another journey.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing