Aesthetix Io Users Group

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Is there a way to identify if the transformers have been upgraded or not?

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
Outside of no or much lower noise coming from the transformers or knowing factually from Aesthetix that one has the newer transformers I would suggest opening the power supply and see if you can ascertain if there is a date stamp/label somewhere on the transformers. I am Not sure when the date cutoff was for the transition to the newer transformers. I have some pics somewhere when I obtained my updated unit. I will see if I took photos of the power supply. I know I did for the preamp section, not sure about the power supply side though.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Thank you - let me first ask Aesthetix. They did the partial eclipse upgrade in 2012, including a new second power supply. The Io (all three boxes) went back for repair in 2016-17, including new volume controls and other components.

I had used the Io as preamp for 12 years, adjusting the volume a lot, and also, leaving it on for extended periods. So it was a "wear and tear" problem, exacerbated by heat over time. I think the volume solder started to give / crack, and thereby caused a variety of component problems (erratic behaviour hard to diagnose, like low volume in a channel, scratch noise from turning the volume, etc).

Today, I do it another way. First of all, I don't turn it on unless I actually play music. Second I have better ventilation. Third I don't use it as a preamp, meaning that I mainly adjust the preamp volume when listening, and only adjust the Io volume once in a while.

My guess is that "wear and tear", using the volume controls a lot, isn't by itself problematical (if so, more users would have reported it). But when you expose them to heat over time, things may go wrong.

Last edited:

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Subjectively, power supply noise is no big deal over here. I don't hear much of it, through the speakers, although I hear a bit of hum from one of the supplies, when I stand next to it, but not in the rest of the room. I got new tubes in the power supplies from Aesthetix when I did the repair in 2017. Power supply noise may be there but it seems low, it is more easy to hear the groove noise from the record.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
See post #955. The photo shows the new transformer with the Aesthetix label and part number.

If you have the new transformers, then they would be similarly labeled.

Last edited:
Reactions: OGH

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
Thank you oldvinyl. My transformers are marked 'Mercury' and then some code (both in the 2002 and the 2012 power supply), not with the Aesthetix sign and code in post #955. So I guess I have the old ones, although some power supply parts were repaired in 2017.

OGH

Oct 9, 2020
I just got a mail from Glenn at Aesthetix. I dont have the new transfomers and would need to upgrade.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
I just got a mail from Glenn at Aesthetix. I dont have the new transfomers and would need to upgrade.
OGH - you can also check if the power supply regulators have the latest capacitors. I found that the new caps and the new transformers reduced background noise. The original transformers were spec'ed out in the 1990s - before WiFi, cell phones, BlueTooth and other source of EMI/RFI were so abundant. The new transformers were conceived to address these now known interference sources.

The new capacitors do a better job at noise filtering as well.

Or, just enjoy what you have! That is awesome in its own regard.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think I am ready to tube swap in the Io Eclipse!

What are people using for V1 and V2 in the first gain stage?

Is there any reason to replace the 6922 in V7?

I have six Amperexes, six Mullards and six Telefunkens. I could swap out all three gain stages.

My primary sonic goal is to maximize tonal density. My secondary sonic goal is to maximize transparency and "aliveness" on vocals.

What should I do? The first gain stage? The first two gain stages? All three gain stages?

Where should I swap what?

E2F5FE52-A215-4EB8-A733-C9F7458B9A97.jpeg

4380E344-2CC4-4A01-BE3C-16863DA36DB1.jpeg

D6ACC419-CB07-440C-8C31-B1B6707908B3.jpeg

Last edited:

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Ron - the characteristics of the tone of each type of these tubes is accurately described on Brent Jesse's web site. His descriptions match my experience. How They Sound

Given your desire to maximize tonal density, I would recommend:
Mullards in V1, V2 and V3.
Telefunken in V5.
Find a nice quiet Siemens, RCA, Telefunken for V4 and V6.
V7 (the 6922) - use a Telefunken or Siemens. CCA is preferable if you can find them and want to spring $$ for them. 7308's are also very nice and not as expensive as the other variants of the 6922.
Rationale: the Mullards will likely have the richer/warmer (slightly) mid-range and the Telefunken will pass that through without
much change to the tonality.

If the bass is not to your liking, the shuffle them:
Telefunken in V1, V2 and V3.
Mullards in V5.
Rationale: the Telefunkens are very linear, the Mullard will add a touch of richer/warmer mid-range.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it works out.

In general, I use Telefunkens or RCA black plates in V1 - V6, Telefunken CCA in V7 and a 5692 to replace the 6SN7.

PS - those are nice tubes, you really can't go wrong with them. You will get more of their flavor if you use one brand in V1, V2 and V3.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Ron - the characteristics of the tone of each type of these tubes is accurately described on Brent Jesse's web site. His descriptions match my experience. How They Sound

Given your desire to maximize tonal density, I would recommend:
Mullards in V1, V2 and V3.
Telefunken in V5.
Find a nice quiet Siemens, RCA, Telefunken for V4 and V6.
V7 (the 6922) - use a Telefunken or Siemens. CCA is preferable if you can find them and want to spring $$ for them. 7308's are also very nice and not as expensive as the other variants of the 6922.
Rationale: the Mullards will likely have the richer/warmer (slightly) mid-range and the Telefunken will pass that through without
much change to the tonality.

If the bass is not to your liking, the shuffle them:
Telefunken in V1, V2 and V3.
Mullards in V5.
Rationale: the Telefunkens are very linear, the Mullard will add a touch of richer/warmer mid-range.

Hope that helps. Let us know how it works out.

In general, I use Telefunkens or RCA black plates in V1 - V6, Telefunken CCA in V7 and a 5692 to replace the 6SN7.

PS - those are nice tubes, you really can't go wrong with them. You will get more of their flavor if you use one brand in V1, V2 and V3.
Good synopsis @oldvinyl -- I do what you do. The mullard's up front are too much of a good thing for me with the Io. I like the V1-V6 to be TFK.<>

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, gentlemen!

What about splitting the baby, Nick? Instead of all Mullards, what about Mullards in V1 and V2, and others elsewhere? Would that give you a little midrange warmth without "too much of a good thing"?

I am thinking to try Mullard in V1 and V2, Amperex in V3 and V4 and Telefunken in V5 and V6 and V7?

I just discovered that 6922 = E88CC, so I have Telefunken E88CCs for V7!

I just discovered I have RCA GT 6SN7s for V8!

So I think what must've happened is when I bought all these tubes 5 to 8 years ago I must have had a head full of steam to buy tubes to be able to swap out everything.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And just to be clear, so you guys replace all of the stock tubes V1 through V8?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I replace all the tubes Ron.

You can certainly split and try the mullards up front and TFK down the line. TFK ECC88s are very nice and good examples are rare- nice tube .. I use a USN 6992 Amperex in that spot and use a 5692 RCA red base for the 6sn7 position.'

There is no wrong way Ron just try. I would use your combination then move the telefunkens forward to see what Oldvinyl and I are talking about from our perspective .

Quietness is most important. The other aspect is gain. I find the Telefunkens to always test lower for gain than most other types and certainly lower than new Russian types. It doesn't make much of a difference but its there.

Have fun.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wait, what are these wacky screws in the Io Eclipse cover? Torx screws?

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does ECC 801S substitute for any tube in the Io?

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
And just to be clear, so you guys replace all of the stock tubes V1 through V8?
Yes, all.

And the power supply tubes too! Read back through the thread. KT-66 in place of EL-34 in the power supply is a great place to start.

For V4 and V6, low noise is more critical than their tone characteristics. They are not in the direct signal path.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing