All New Yamaha NS 5000 Speakers..... World-Beaters ?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Can I ask as favor or you? Can you move the NS5000 about a foot from the front wall and record a video? I cannot place them out like you can, and I have heard conflicting feedback from NS5000 dealers that said with that the speaker can and cannot be placed so close to the front wall.

I know you were interested in the CODA #16. I have one now and a Lumin X1 DAC to go direct (with remote control). I just need the speakers and it is between the KEF Blade 2 Meta and the NS5000. Though I have a limitation that the speaker needs to be about a foot to 2-foot (maybe) from the front wall. I could use Convolution filter DSP to solve this for both speakers, but I am interested in finding out which speaker would work best naked.

I can physically move the NS5000 more comfortably than the slipperier Blades for each listening session if that would make the sound better.

LOL I thought you already ordered the Blade 2 meta?

Imo I don't think ns5k is that limited by near wall placement. Does really well but of course like most all speakers pulling them out often will sound better. I wouldn't worry about the rear port honestly.

My advice is listen to both speakers and decide which one sounds better then grab that.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
LOL I thought you already ordered the Blade 2 meta?

Imo I don't think ns5k is that limited by near wall placement. Does really well but of course like most all speakers pulling them out often will sound better. I wouldn't worry about the rear port honestly.

My advice is listen to both speakers and decide which one sounds better then grab that.
I have not bought speakers for the Livingroom because I wanted to wait until my son was a bit older. Now is the time I can finally buy speakers for that room. The Blade 2 could work but I have limited space in my Livingroom, and I am worried that it may get knocked over by a rambunctious kid and dog because it is rather easy to tip. The NS5000 is less of a concern.

I have been working on getting my headphone system(s) in place and that is now complete with the RAAL SR1a and CA-1a phones plus amps. Another reason I have waited on the final system to build.

I have heard the NS5000 in a terrible demo room, close to the front wall with glass walls, and it sounded bad though I heard the potential when I moved-in very close for a near-field listen. The local dealer is a PIA to get the speaker moved to another demo room. He is not getting my money.

When you listen to speakers, they are usually setup in an optimal space or optimally positioned in a difficult space. I need to know which speaker is better in a bad space or which speaker is more flexible with positioning. I do not have much flexibility in placement. Though I do know that I can always call Mitch Barnett at AccurateSound.ca to create Convolution filters for the speaker and room. My room is 15 W x 20 L x 20 H with a lot of side wall space and the room opens up to a Familyroom on the right side. I will be doing a longwall placement. This room will be shared with my son's playroom. I can listen when he is at school since I work from home.

Living Room System | Virtual Listening Room (audiogon.com)

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
hi yyzSB, The blade 2’s while considerably smaller than the 1’s are still going to be out in the room further than the ns5k even if the backs are the same distance from the wall. An option would be to tip and swivel the blades parallel to the wall when not in use. I share your interest in the ns5000’s, but the blades make a strong case for themselves. Why don’t you call one of the online sales places that offer a 30 day home trial and tell them what you’re trying to do and see if they’ll send you a pair knowing full well what you expect from them?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
hi yyzSB, The blade 2’s while considerably smaller than the 1’s are still going to be out in the room further than the ns5k even if the backs are the same distance from the wall. An option would be to tip and swivel the blades parallel to the wall when not in use. I share your interest in the ns5000’s, but the blades make a strong case for themselves. Why don’t you call one of the online sales places that offer a 30 day home trial and tell them what you’re trying to do and see if they’ll send you a pair knowing full well what you expect from them?
I spoke with a NS5000 dealer and he said the Blades would be much easier to place over the NS5000. I spoke to KEF UK and they said that the Blades can be as close as 9 inches from the front wall (to back of speaker). I am actually going to get the Playback Designs MPD-8 DAC first and then the Blade 2 Meta. Likely ordering the DAC in June and the speakers in September. Then I am really done audio buys.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
i went out listening to +$100k systems last week and decided my blades are keeper. I’ve always wanted Mac gear tho’ so bought a pair of 611’s and a c49 pre/dac. I’m still impressed with the h590 and it still holds its own, but the 611’s bring another level of inner detai and image precision. After the week I had I do believe my stereo is as good or better than my hearing. Those blue meters and green backlighting help cast a spell.

Reactions: yyzSB

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
i went out listening to +$100k systems last week and decided my blades are keeper. I’ve always wanted Mac gear tho’ so bought a pair of 611’s and a c49 pre/dac. I’m still impressed with the h590 and it still holds its own, but the 611’s bring another level of inner detai and image precision. After the week I had I do believe my stereo is as good or better than my hearing. Those blue meters and green backlighting help cast a spell.
Congrats. Nice to get what you want.

I also came to EASY decision to buy Blades after hearing a lot of really expensive setups. THE NS5000 was always plan B.

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Thank you, I’ve been following your quest with anticipation and some excitement for you. I don’t want to scare you off but it’s your kids friends more than your own you have to worry about…I wonder if kef makes a protective sock for when they’re not in use?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Today, I finally bought the NS500. Should get delivery in 2 or 3 weeks. Decided against the KEF Blade 2 because of the danger with kids poking their fingers into the drivers. The NS5000 has some nice grills.

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
I absolutely adore that they used the same material to build all the drivers, so the tonality remains coherent in the entire frequency range.

All manufacturers that want to build a coherent sounding multi way speaker should do this, no excuses other than lack of budget for comissioning the drivers, lazyness or just plain ignorance.

Yamaha cheaped out on the cabinet (rectangular ported box) and crossover parts (inductors and caps should be made of the same materials too, so it adds to the coherence of the speaker) tho, but is understandable considering they wanted to reach the 15k eur price point.

The perfect (or the closest to perfect) multiway passive speaker should have all drivers made out of the same materials, loaded the same way and using crossover parts build with the same materials (ie: all copper inductors and caps), that's for sure.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Today, I finally bought the NS500. Should get delivery in 2 or 3 weeks. Decided against the KEF Blade 2 because of the danger with kids poking their fingers into the drivers. The NS5000 has some nice grills.
Woohoo congrats man. Look forward to your thoughts! Hope you love it.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I absolutely adore that they used the same material to build all the drivers, so the tonality remains coherent in the entire frequency range.

All manufacturers that want to build a coherent sounding multi way speaker should do this, no excuses other than lack of budget for comissioning the drivers, lazyness or just plain ignorance.

Yamaha cheaped out on the cabinet (rectangular ported box) and crossover parts (inductors and caps should be made of the same materials too, so it adds to the coherence of the speaker) tho, but is understandable considering they wanted to reach the 15k eur price point.

The perfect (or the closest to perfect) multiway passive speaker should have all drivers made out of the same materials, loaded the same way and using crossover parts build with the same materials (ie: all copper inductors and caps), that's for sure.

They also cheaped out in that the speaker is built in Malyasia not in japan. But its still a great sounding speaker.

Rob181

Oct 1, 2014
I didn't say it meant the speaker had worse performance as a result. What I was saying is that it was a cost cutting measure just like doing a simple box design like @marmota mentioned.

So let me understand this - because its assembled in Malaysia its is somehow less then what it could be if assembled in Japan. If its cheaper to assemble in Malaysia - surely that benefits the consumer (you would hope) as well as the principle company. No different to Apple or Samsung phones - no one complains about where they assembled...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing