All New Yamaha NS 5000 Speakers..... World-Beaters ?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I demoed the NS 5000 in a very bad room. I was rather annoyed at where the speakers had been placed given the time I took to drive to the dealer. Nevertheless, I heard enough from the speaker to decide that the NS 5000 as the speaker I will get. As many NS 5000 reviews have stated, I also thought they made instruments sound very realistic. I heard these speakers with the new Yamaha top end preamp and amp. I will be buying the Luxman c900u preamp and m900u amp.

This speaker will go into my office and I will use ROON with a DSP Convolution filter if the bass is deemed to much in my 12x11x9 room. Though the room actually plays a little larger due to the use of a closet and also an open entrance door.

The other speakers I had considered during this year of auditioning were the following:

Paradigm Persona 3F
Vivid Kaya 45
TAD ME1

I am sure I would be happy with any of the 3 other choices but the Yamaha brings a few things to the table that make it the more interesting choice for me.

Reactions: Alinous

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
Where are they available to demo?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sony, Phillips, Yamaha, Pioneer ,et al can do great things if they put thier resources es to it.
You might take a listen to GamuT RS 3i

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
untitled.png

rustplane

Feb 26, 2016
Those are good thoughts, particularly about the scale to your current and future room. FYI black furniture makes a room look larger and reflective gloss black even moreso. Think about a black gloss grand piano vs. matte black or gloss white. The NS-5000 have been out for about 4 years now, but just recently in the USA and then in limited distribution. They have received excellent reviews all over the world and I expect one forthcoming in the US as well. Whether the speaker "takes off" is still unknown. Yamaha chose a very competitive price point, which says a lot about the company's confidence, and while it's always about the sound, the tech is amazing. Besides what you can find online, this world class company even had the birch manufacturing process modified so the northern Japanese birch wouldn't warp when delivered to their Indonesia factory.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
I have heard the NS5000 and will be buying it once the market recovers. I was hoping to buy it his month but those plans are out the window. I am glad I waited until this speaker made it to the USA. I will be using it in a smallish treated room (my office), it should work there. I have DSP convoluton files via ROON as my safety net if the speaker is too much for the room. I have a bigger room to put them in a year or 2.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I have heard the NS5000 and will be buying it once the market recovers. I was hoping to buy it his month but those plans are out the window. I am glad I waited until this speaker made it to the USA. I will be using it in a smallish treated room (my office), it should work there. I have DSP convoluton files via ROON as my safety net if the speaker is too much for the room. I have a bigger room to put them in a year or 2.
I'm waiting for an smaller version to come on the market.

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Someone who bought the NS5000 in Torointo mentioned to me that he had spoken with a Yamaha rep and that person said a smaller version will happen.

I was scheduled to go to a NS5000 listener session near Los Angeles last Thursday with a Yamaha rep present, but the event was cancelled. I wanted to ask about smaller models.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Someone who bought the NS5000 in Torointo mentioned to me that he had spoken with a Yamaha rep and that person said a smaller version will happen.

I was scheduled to go to a NS5000 listener session near Los Angeles last Thursday with a Yamaha rep present, but the event was cancelled. I wanted to ask about smaller models.
I heard that they will be a few versions in the coming years.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I got the NS5000 1 month ago. Loving them so far. Incredible holographic imaging, realistic tone colour.. very fast and detailed. Amazing deep bass. Have dual bryston 4bsst driving them, denafrips terminator dac, he9 preamp. I do wonder what would happen if I put some pass xa160.8s on them. When I move to a bigger listening space in a few years Ill try other amps and preamps. I have them setup in a small room but they still sound amazing. They sounded better at my dealer who had a massive listening space.

Fit and finish is beautiful. Reminds me of tidal or piano finish.

Reactions: Gregadd

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Looking to try another amp for the ns5000. May get into pass labs or luxman. Will report my findings.

rustplane

Feb 26, 2016
I paired my NS-5000 with the Luxman 590axII, which is Class A 30 watts, but actually after that its AB to about 100 watts. Luxman really doesn't explain this at all. There was only one review but I searched the forums to confirm this. I can tell you the amp has plenty of power. Even Yamaha's new separates their 5000 series preamp and amp have only a little more power. My thinking was I loved the new Yamaha 3000 integrated and you can buy them pretty cheap. But Yamaha years ago pioneered some interesting Class A amps and I didn't want to do tubes, so high bias Class A, like Pass, I thought would be a good compromise. Most of the time we're only using a few watts and even my old NAD M3, 180 watts dual mono, had 5 watts of bias in Class A. I like the looks of the Yamaha 3000 a little better than the Luxman but also in searching integrateds wanted those big VU meters! The 590 is big and really heavy. I bought it only a few months old for about the same price as the Yamaha integrated list (but more than you can get these online) and thought it was a better value. It's fine for me, but I have nothing to compare it to. I was very interested in the new Yamaha 5000 separates, but two things stopped me even before any review. One, I really am space constrained and two, these are about $10k each. I couldn't see spending $20k on $15k speakers. It seemed like a mismatch. However, now that I have the NS-5000 my thinking is it is as good as a $20k or more value. I think Yamaha maybe should have price their separates lower and the speakers higher to come to the same $35k total and make the amp/speaker ratio a little different. But I'm just guessing.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I paired my NS-5000 with the Luxman 590axII, which is Class A 30 watts, but actually after that its AB to about 100 watts. Luxman really doesn't explain this at all. There was only one review but I searched the forums to confirm this. I can tell you the amp has plenty of power. Even Yamaha's new separates their 5000 series preamp and amp have only a little more power. My thinking was I loved the new Yamaha 3000 integrated and you can buy them pretty cheap. But Yamaha years ago pioneered some interesting Class A amps and I didn't want to do tubes, so high bias Class A, like Pass, I thought would be a good compromise. Most of the time we're only using a few watts and even my old NAD M3, 180 watts dual mono, had 5 watts of bias in Class A. I like the looks of the Yamaha 3000 a little better than the Luxman but also in searching integrateds wanted those big VU meters! The 590 is big and really heavy. I bought it only a few months old for about the same price as the Yamaha integrated list (but more than you can get these online) and thought it was a better value. It's fine for me, but I have nothing to compare it to. I was very interested in the new Yamaha 5000 separates, but two things stopped me even before any review. One, I really am space constrained and two, these are about $10k each. I couldn't see spending $20k on $15k speakers. It seemed like a mismatch. However, now that I have the NS-5000 my thinking is it is as good as a $20k or more value. I think Yamaha maybe should have price their separates lower and the speakers higher to come to the same $35k total and make the amp/speaker ratio a little different. But I'm just guessing.

I think the 590AXII is a good choice. Tons of praise for that amp. How are you liking the pairing? Did you hear any other amps with the NS5K ?

yyzSB

May 14, 2017
Very happy to hear that you love the PASS. What you describe is how I heard the Luxman m900u.

Francis Chung at Toronto Home of Audiophile was the man who sold me my first speaker in 1996ish,, a NHT 2.5.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Very happy to hear that you love the PASS. What you describe is how I heard the Luxman m900u.

Francis Chung at Toronto Home of Audiophile was the man who sold me my first speaker in 1996ish,, a NHT 2.5.

Hah that is awesome. Hes a great guy to deal with. Yes the Pass is amazing for sure!! Never thought audio can be that good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing