Alternative static eliminator for vinyl playback

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
since static removal is known in industrial applications, has anyone tried alternatives to the CDS Port unit
I find it hard to believe this should need to cost USD 1.800 when I google for alternatives
there is Keyence in Belgium and Simco in UK and Exair and others

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
since static removal is known in industrial applications, has anyone tried alternatives to the CDS Port unit
I find it hard to believe this should need to cost USD 1.800 when I google for alternatives
there is Keyence in Belgium and Simco in UK and Exair and others
of course the issue with pre-treating records with some sort of anti-static is that the effect of the treatment quickly goes away since the spinning of the record creates static. so these expensive negative ion shooters from CS Port and DS Audio are the only ones that continually neutralize static.....but....

it was suggested in a thread on Audiogon that the Hudson Sweep arm has a ground wire imbedded in the bristles that somehow grounds the record and reduces/eliminates static. never used one, but maybe worth trying for $29.99 USD.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
a lot of the industrial models do exactly the same...they´re even used directed at assembly lines in production, so make no mistake
it´s been done by pros for years

Reactions: ddk

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i had a conversation some years back with my PhD in Physics son-in-law about tourmaline treatments on records, relative to his tourmaline treatments with laboratory measurement devices. i was trying to understand why it worked. he said that negative ions released the static tension of dust particles on the lens surface and allowed more accurate readings for better data.

whether a simple ground wire in a brush gets things as 'right' as the negative ion guns is the question. it might. or more likely gets you part of the way. you would have to compare them to know.

industrial products only have to be 'good enough' or maybe even are a safety device to eliminate sparks.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
I just purchased a used SPI Westek 94000 Counter Workstation Ionizer but I'll need to make a riser to get it at the right height of my platter. I'll report my findings this weekend or early next week.

Scott

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hate it when a simple tech thingie is branded for audio and the price is suddenly multiplied with 5-25 or even more
what do they take me for? :rolleyes:

this is precisely why audiophiles who buy without doing any research feel offended when someone gives feedback on their ultra expensive stuff. They go, what do you take me for? I feel like replying, less than what the manufacturer and dealer took you for

Last edited:

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
of course the issue with pre-treating records with some sort of anti-static is that the effect of the treatment quickly goes away since the spinning of the record creates static.
Actually it does not. According to an article based on research by James H. Kogen in 1978:
"The observation that placing a charged record on a grounded turntable reduces the effect of the charge because the electrostatic field is concentrated between the turntable and the underside of the record, which reduces the original field. When the record is removed from the turn-table, the original voltage reappears."

He mentions that records can be charged up to 30.000 negative volts and it can decrease to 3000 negative volts when placed on a grounded platter. He also explains that playing a record doesn't cause a significant charge to build up.
"A few minutes of experimentation with such an instrument will show how tenacious and easily produced the charges are. Even wiping the record with damp cloth may produce charges rather than neutralizing them. Incidentally, measurements with these instruments have shown that electrification from the direct friction between the diamond and vinyl is, oddly enough, negligible."

"Any form of friction, motion, or contact is likely to produce charges, and vinyl is one of the most easily charged materials available. Hence, such common actions as removing a record from its jacket or wiping it with a cloth or brush, is certain to produce a charge that will be hard to remove."

That's why brushing should be done before anti-static treatment. The effect of anti-static treatment does not go away even after you play the whole side but can easily be reverted by brushing, rubbing etc.

Last edited:

djsina2

May 30, 2019

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
“audible sparking sounds from the 3 ionizing needles let you know that negative ions are being released.”

Wonder how audible that is…
I don't know. I didn't show interest to the much praised one 7-8 years ago (but I couldn't find the link to share) and I don't think I will get this one either. I just mentioned it as an alternative diy project. Constant ion bombardment to vinyl while playing doesn't seem reasonable to me. Additionally these kind of products produce harmful ozone.

Last edited:

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Here’s my contraption from Panasonic :

I mounted it on an articulating microphone arm. It does require some wiring and a 24v power supply.

Attachments

• 6FB1FF5C-221B-4E19-A217-25914BA051B2.jpeg
    6FB1FF5C-221B-4E19-A217-25914BA051B2.jpeg
    842.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 078F4567-9ECD-488B-8074-5D7C87203DC7.jpeg
    078F4567-9ECD-488B-8074-5D7C87203DC7.jpeg
    587.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Love
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Neil.Antin

Jul 9, 2021
Industry has an entire science on controlling static - is called Electro-Static Discharge (ESD) control, and one of the fundamentals is grounding all conductors - example of a program - Desco - Developing an ESD Control Program (descoindustries.com).

The ubiquitous carbon fiber (or Thunderon) record brush, is the simplest of methods to dissipate static charge from the record surface, but there are some nuances to how these work and how effective are they. First, in ESD world, conductive and dissipative have very different meanings, but specific resistive defintions. Generally, for ESD control you do not want to discharge static too quickly so the wrist strap and ESD mats ground wires have resistors installed to slow down the rate of static charge dissipation. This is done to prevent shorting out sensitive semiconductors.

Otherwise, by this paper, the implication is that brushes are only so effective - Microsoft Word - SEALEZE_WHITE_PAPER_Final dam.doc. Enough to dissipate the record static charge below the level that causes noise, but not enough to prevent other problems. The article (addressed in a prior post). Phonograph Reproduction 1978, James H. Kogen, Audio Magazine May 1978 Audio-1978-05.pdf (worldradiohistory.com) goes into some detail on static. The article indicates that static is not uniform but exists as islands on a record. Additionally, once the static gets high enough to discharge to the cartridge it only reduces to about 4200 volts. A static charge on the record of 4200 volts will not create noise by itself, but it can by electrostatic attractive forces cause a transient increase in cartridge VTF as much as 0.375 grams leading to distortion and premature wear.

Industry has benchtop air ionizers that come in various price points from certified units such as Desco - 60505 High Output Bench Top Ionizer, 120VAC (descoindustries.com) to the low-cost knock-offs Amazon.com: YUCHENGTECH Ionizing Air Blower ESD Ionizer Fan Static Eliminator Fan Desktop Anti Static Ionizer Fan Electrostatic Discharge Fan 110V : Industrial & Scientific of unknown quality and ozone generation (which is very toxic and eats Buna-N rubber) to a very small device with no specified price - Ultra-Compact Static Eliminators | KEYENCE America. How these work is nicely described here Technical Guide - STATIC REMOVERS (IONIZERS) (panasonic.biz).

For turntables, one of the 1st actions is to ground the plater via the bearing or spindle. However, if the platter is not conductive such as acrylic, trying to ground the plater can be difficult. Some platter mats are conductive or dissipative so that if the record has static charge when placed down the charge will slowly dissipate through the mat to the spindle/patter if it is grounded. Otherwise, some platter mats such as felt are notorious for producing static.

However, its always good to confirm that the problem is static and this is easy enough to do by holding the record above your arm 1-2". Do the hairs on your arm lift up to record - if so, its static. Note that a full wet clean will dissipate all static on a record. Once the record is free of static, the trick is keeping it that way.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Many modern turntables will have non- conductive bearing thrust plates and sleeves - the platter will never really be grounded.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing