Alternative static eliminator for vinyl playback

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Besides the ones with fans there are also ionizing bars (static bars) still effective around 10cm distance and can cover a whole lp radius. These are silent and one may even use it like a tonearm and put it in position during playback.

There are also photoionizers that use x-rays to ionize gas molecules. These are very effective, can work from farther. I am looking into these.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
I just purchased a used SPI Westek 94000 Counter Workstation Ionizer but I'll need to make a riser to get it at the right height of my platter. I'll report my findings this weekend or early next week.

Scott
I spent a few hours doing some A/B testing with the ionizer and I'm a fan of what it does. During the winter months I can have some static issues when removing an album from my turntable this ionizer has eliminated this problem.

One of the albums I used for evaluation was Sarah McLachlan The Freedom Sessions. With the ionizer on the bass was a little fuller and better defined, I could hear more of the individual notes. On vocals Sarah's lead was better separated from the backup/ harmony vocals. Overall I would say the noise floor was lowered.

I bought the ionizer used off of E Bay...for me it was $85.00 well spent.

Scott

Reactions: sbo6

Vinylfan

Jan 12, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Anybody tried one of these ;

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Better than a Zerostat or carbon brush but nowhere near as good as the CSPort IME1 I use now.
I have a Zerostat and it doesn't appear to do anything i.e. still get static and see the very fine airborne dust being attracted to the record wihtin seconds it has been so called 'zero stated' !

Found a big improvement using my Kuzma XL DC as opposed to when I had the Rega P10. The P10 was a nightmare for static !

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I have a Zerostat and it doesn't appear to do anything i.e. still get static and see the very fine airborne dust being attracted to the record wihtin seconds it has been so called 'zero stated' !

Found a big improvement using my Kuzma XL DC as opposed to when I had the Rega P10. The P10 was a nightmare for static !

If you do an initial wet wash once and then maintain with something like the CSPort IME1 you will have completely static free records. I live in a cold and dry climate with carpet in my room and there’s nothing once using this approach.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
If you do an initial wet wash once and then maintain with something like the CSPort IME1 you will have completely static free records. I live in a cold and dry climate with carpet in my room and there’s nothing once using this approach.
Yes, I have the same problem living in the UK during winter time and have a room with a carpet.
I do wash / clean all of my records with my Keith Monks Classic RCM (with a 2 stage washing & cleaning cycle) before I play them whether they are brand new or second hand and then put them straight into new Mofi antistatic inner sleeves after the RCM clean.
So if I get the CSPort IME1 I should hopefully then be able to completely eliminate any static from my records when they are playing.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Yes, I have the same problem living in the UK during winter time and have a room with a carpet.
I do wash / clean all of my records with my Keith Monks Classic RCM (with a 2 stage washing & cleaning cycle) before I play them whether they are brand new or second hand and then put them straight into new Mofi antistatic inner sleeves after the RCM clean.
So if I get the CSPort IME1 I should hopefully then be able to completely eliminate any static from my records when they are playing.

Same approach I use with my Degritter and zero static now. You may also experience a slight improvement in sonics.

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
The weather in Belgium is quite similar to the UK and prior acquiring a DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer and then two CSPort IME1 Static Eliminators for my three turntables, I had static when playing vinyl. Since then, not a single zap anymore.

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
The weather in Belgium is quite similar to the UK and prior acquiring a DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer and then two CSPort IME1 Static Eliminators for my three turntables, I had static when playing vinyl. Since then, not a single zap anymore.
If you just have to buy one Static Eliminator / Ionizer 'dcc', would you go for the CSPort IME1 or the DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer ?

dcc

VIP/Donor
Nov 4, 2012
Continental Europe -
It depends on the turntable's size and heigth. The DS audio is the perfect size for the Brinkmann Balance and the Thorens TD 124/II with the Swissonor plinth but not for the CS Port TAT1 and the TD 124/II with the Artisan Fidelity plinth. Whereas the DS Audio might be more elegant, the CSPort provides more flexibility in terms of adjustability. It also comprises a demag function and it is slightly cheaper.

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
I've been using the CSPort IME1 for a couple of weeks and it certainly does the job with static elimination; and surface noise is definitely reduced. On almost every LP, the demag function also brings a subtle but noticeable uplift in terms of clarity and musical definition. Not a cheap gadget, but for the same price as the DS Audio device, the CSPort IME1 also does demagnetization so is perhaps better value.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It depends on the turntable's size and heigth. The DS audio is the perfect size for the Brinkmann Balance and the Thorens TD 124/II with the Swissonor plinth but not for the CS Port TAT1 and the TD 124/II with the Artisan Fidelity plinth. Whereas the DS Audio might be more elegant, the CSPort provides more flexibility in terms of adjustability. It also comprises a demag function and it is slightly cheaper.
I own 2 CS Port IME1’s, and 1 DS Audio Ion.

For me the issue is positioning for optimal effectiveness. The CS Port works where you have plinth real estate around the platter not obstructing arm access. The unit has to be positioned over the edge of the platter.

The DS Ion can sit on your rack surface where the platter is near enough so you have effective broadcast distance. In my case I have to put a 2” thick block beneath it to raise it enough to expose the outputs above the platter.

So look at the documentation to make sure it will work for you.

Last edited:

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Here’s my contraption from Panasonic :

I mounted it on an articulating microphone arm. It does require some wiring and a 24v power supply.
Kcin,
Can you hear fan noise when this is in use?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I own 2 CS Port IME1’s, and 1 DS Audio Ion.

For me the issue is positioning for optimal effectiveness. The CS Port works where you have plinth real estate around the platter not obstructing arm access. The unit has to be positioned over the edge of the platter.

The DS Ion can sit on your rack surface where the platter is near enough so you have effective broadcast distance. In my case I have to put a 2” thick block beneath it to raise it enough to expose the outputs above the platter.

So look at the documentation to make sure it will work for you.
With my Kuzma XL DC I can accomodate either as the XL DC is on top of a large DIY shelf. With the IME1, I could sit it on top of my spare Kuzma Tonearm Tower (at least until a 2nd arm arrives which will most probably be some time away yet with me itching to get a used CH X1 to go with my CH P1 sometime this year) and with making a fixing plate could look at actually bolting the IME1to the top of the Tonearm Tower.

For me, it's just down to ease of use and performance between the two as they also both cost exactly the same in the UK (RRP: £1,500). So any information of your experiences of the two Mike would be most beneficial i.e. with all things equal, and you could only choose one which one would it be and why ?

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
With my Kuzma XL DC I can accomodate either as the XL DC is on top of a large DIY shelf. With the IME1, I could sit it on top of my spare Kuzma Tonearm Tower (at least until a 2nd arm arrives which will most probably be some time away yet with me itching to get a used CH X1 to go with my CH P1 sometime this year) and with making a fixing plate could look at actually bolting the IME1to the top of the Tonearm Tower.

For me, it's just down to ease of use and performance between the two as they also both cost exactly the same in the UK (RRP: £1,500). So any information of your experiences of the two Mike would be most beneficial i.e. with all things equal, and you could only choose one which one would it be and why ?
Sorry Mike, Just realised you had already answered my question yesterday evening on the 'vinyl upgrades; Dava, FCL tone arm, EMIA silver Phono Corrector, MC Trio' thread i.e. you would most probably lean towards the IME1 due to it's extra Demag feature and it's flexibility with X & Y axis adjustments.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Kcin,
Can you hear fan noise when this is in use?
Fan is running but speed is adjustable with a control on the unit. I can not hear fan noise when listening.

Reactions: trekpilot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing