American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Reactions: Folsom and Lagonda
(...) Or does Fransisco still have a turntable?

Still having the three turntables - EMT927, SME30 and the Forsell. But they have a secret agreement of not playing the same LP more than once in the same week ... At best I can listen to one side in one of them and the other in another ... :)

i'm very happy for you. reading your thoughts over the years, having tasted the ML3's in my own way, i think it probably hits your target.

i am in awe of it all.....

bravo!

Mike

I hope so Mike. I think they could be a better match to my speakers. My Cessaro is very easy to drive and certainly does not need 85 watts to get the drive the dynamic. I hope they are keepers. Physically, boxes and boxes of Lamm really dont do well with my already limited space.

Thank you Mike

Tang

Dear Khun Tang

I am very happy you are giving the Lamms a try. As many people know, Lamms are voiced according to a psychoacoustic model developed by Vladimir. While they do measure very flat, Lamm does have a very special characteristic. My theory is that models are indeed influenced by the culture. In Vladimir's case it is an eastern european flavor evocative of the great composers and soloists of eastern europe. I am sure you will be drawn in by the nuances and inflections as certain notes and chords will suddenly cause deep emotional responses. The kinds that make one swoon. I ca't wait to get your impressions particularly on voice, strings, woodwinds and brass.

Emjoy your latest exploration!

Best

Jack

As many people know, Lamms are voiced according to a psychoacoustic model developed by Vladimir.

Grounded in hundreds of hours of blind and double blind listening experiments with large pools of test subjects. Data converted into models using differential equations. Models into topologies. Only a small number of topologies passed more tests. His designs are like deductive conclusions that follow from his mathematical codification of real-world real human listeners. The elegance of sweet genius: design audio gear based on the way we actually hear with the ears we have.

(Obviously he doesn’t want to for I am sure very good reasons but) I wish Vlad made high-power all-tube amps!

Reactions: ddk
Tang

Did I miss it or did you not go full Lamm Sig and get the LP1

Buy the LP1 and the Sig series is 11 boxes. Then you’ll have fun with cabling.

But “to SUT” or “to not SUT” is a whole separate can of worms.

Grounded in hundreds of hours of blind and double blind listening experiments with large pools of test subjects. Data converted into models using differential equations. Models into topologies. Only a small number of topologies passed more tests. His designs are like deductive conclusions that follow from his mathematical codification of real-world real human listeners. The elegance of sweet genius: design audio gear based on the way we actually hear with the ears we have.
Tim, apologies if this sounds sarcastic, but is this true/fact?

Reactions: tima
Did they take a representative sample of digital and analog listeners?

Reactions: bonzo75
Did they take a representative sample of digital and analog listeners?

The research period straddled the mass market shift from LP/FM/Tape to Digital, so yes.

Based on my interviews and research,I believe it is. Mr. Lamm was the Chief Design Engineer of Research and Development at the Lvov Radio & Electronics factory in Soviet Russia. He had the resources.

Thanks for the confirmation, Jack.

Sure thing Tim

Vlad was also involved in the comms research for the Cosmonaut program. Russians may have sucked compared to the west when it comes to consumer goods but State/Military was competitive. The tube choices of Vlad are not so subtle hints of his distant past before Ukrain's independence same with Victor K of BAT. .

Reactions: jeff1225
I'd really love to know more about this. I can imagine doing a series of blinded A/Bs, different tubes etc, and coming to a group consensus.

But to talk about differential equations etc, now I'm lost.

But “to SUT” or “to not SUT” is a whole separate can of worms.

All Lamm phonos use shunted SUT circuits for MC. So we are SUT-ing by default. On order you can specify the ratios for the LP2s and LP2.1s. The Signature has a low and high ratio.

Of all the externals I've tried the only one that gave the Lamm custom Jenzens a fight were Silvercore. In any case, if one does want to try, both models have excellent MM inputs. The tough part is finding the right cables to use with external SUTs. I use Masterbuilt (obviously :D)

Last edited:
I'd really love to know more about this. I can imagine doing a series of blinded A/Bs, different tubes etc, and coming to a group consensus.

But to talk about differential equations etc, now I'm lost.

No different from extensive market testing. It's a lot of statistical analysis from tons of data. Kinda boring stuff for most and that's the reason you don't see it in any of the marketing materials. What is obvious is their house sound which while subtle, is IMO unique.

My main system may be CH now but my love for all things Lamm has never waned. I've just ordered E5s and a pair of Shockwave 12s to go with a full Lamm Reference Suite fronted with an AF2 with a 4-Point and likely the latest EERA digital stack.

Reactions: tima
(Obviously he doesn’t want to for I am sure very good reasons but) I wish Vlad made high-power all-tube amps!

I've been begging for over a decade. Vlad just isn't interested. Heck I've been begging for remotes on the pres too and I know for a fact I'm not alone LOL

Thomas Mayer is abs reluctant to go much higher than 30W on his SETs too. Ditto remote control.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing