American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I write for people with a reasonable ability of understanding and audio knowledge, not to fundamentalists -sorry.
But I recognize you are a master in word jugglery.

No you used the word split to describe people with different references. I hope the people you are writing for do not consider you a representative.

Reactions: PeterA

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
You think in terms of social ideology when that discussion is about objectives. I don't see you whining about Resnick's objectives 'splitting the audiophile community' into four. The ideology is yours Francisco -- we are not responsible for you clinging to it.
Ron makes no attempt to glorify his sonic viewpoint. he simply owns it. nothing to whine about. it's not the viewpoint on the objective that is ever the issue. it's the wider implications inferred.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
In 1493 Pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia) drew a line on the globe with his finger to say what part of the New "World outside Europe belonged to Spain (Castile.) The other world super power (King John II of Portugal) was unhappy with this and negotiated directly with Spanish Monarchs Ferdinand and Isabella to adjust the line to protect Portugal's interests - the famous Treaty of Tordesilla. Wrapping the line around the world, Portugal got protections for their trade routes down the cost of Africa along with the Indian Ocean and Spain got the Pacific along with most (but not all) of Sourth America. It's why Brazil speaks Portugese. Even though the negotiations happened without a papal blessing, in history the new line was known as "the Papal Line of Demarcation".

Yes, we study this childish version of Tordelsilla at elementary school. Later at secondary school we are though it with more detail and rigor.

I used that by analogy in my discussion of Naturalists and Synthesists, referring to the audiophile line of demarcation between.those who use live music as a reference as those who do not. Of course a few got their snoot on over this characterization and thus Micro's continual attempts at chastising -- "how dare you split the audiophile community" - as if there is a unified group for whom he speaks. I suspect he is a Natural Contrarian - or he just doesn't like the Borgias.

Yes 'differentiate' is a better word.

Nice try to focus on the accessory - the split - and forget the fundamental aspects I and others have addressed.

In fact, one of my preferred recordings is Jordi Savall "Dinastia Borgia" - a great album that analog fundamentalists will ignore forever. I have referred to it several times in WBF, the sound is just part of music. The Borgia's history is really fascinating - do you know that several parishes in the US are dedicated to Saint. Francis Borgia (Francisco de Borja) ?

Reactions: Argonaut

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
In fact, one of my preferred recordings is Jordi Savall "Dinastia Borgia" - a great album that analog fundamentalists will ignore forever.

I have that on disc from Alia Vox. A small hardcover book. The last release has a different cover than mine which shows the Pope on his throne and Lucretia speaking to him with perhaps a Moor between them. The newer version shows a painting of Lucretia.

I doubt vinylists would ignore it if it were on LP.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
It is not just the tt. It is the whole system with Lamm and everything else that get the system out of the way to listen anywhere in the room. When you can listen casually that is when your sound is natural enough.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
It is not just the tt. It is the whole system with Lamm and everything else that get the system out of the way to listen anywhere in the room. When you can listen casually that is when your sound is natural enough.

Is that Vivaldi? Wonderful sound Tang. Love the Neumann (or whatever is that cartridge.) This might not make sense, but the AS2000 and Lamm electronics seem made for each other.

Reactions: ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Is that Vivaldi? Wonderful sound Tang. Love the Neumann (or whatever is that cartridge.) This might not make sense, but the AS2000 and Lamm electronics seem made for each other.

Tim, they do seem made for each other. And it is quite difficult to describe how either one sounds. I think one basically describes how they don't sound like other gear, or he simply ends up describing how the recordings sound. These items seem to have little to no sound of their own.

David describes a "magic" with this gear. It is the absence of sound from the gear itself that allows one to experience the music on the recording and forget the system. At least, that is the way I am starting to think about these components. It is why I think the word "natural" suffices.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Tim, they do seem made for each other. And it is quite difficult to describe how either one sounds. I think one basically describes how they don't sound like other gear, or he simply ends up describing how the recordings sound. These items seem to have little to no sound of their own.

David describes a "magic" with this gear. It is the absence of sound from the gear itself that allows one to experience the music on the recording and forget the system. At least, that is the way I am starting to think about these components. It is why I think the word "natural" suffices.

The absence of artifice.
What's left is the muic.

Reactions: PeterA

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I think AS2000 is a great source that can go with any associate gears. It is just very transparent to source. I am more in the camp of hearing more from the record itself than cooking sound of my own. Many records I have,most actually, dont sound good. I could put this and that in to cook the sound to play them more enjoyable but chose not to. The AS2000 (and my system) will tell you that. Instead I have to learn to adapt my ears listening substandard quality record. ( The naturalist should too.) These days I can pretty much enjoy the not so good to great sound. I enjoy a lot of pressing that has digital in the path too. Dont really care if pure analog process or not as long as it sounds resembling real.

Yes it is Vivaldi for four violins. I was using the Neumann DST. The Lamm imo is so transparent...as transparent as the best of SS but with tonal density and vividness resembling real sound.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is that Vivaldi?

Concerto Grosso. That looks like SXL 6026 wideband. Not expensive so others can try on their system

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Hey Tang - sounds really lovely. There are some lovely harmonics and density coming out with this Neumann that sounds very realistic.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Tango

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
Am I correct in assuming, that your equipment is in your office? If so, does it not distract you from work? By the way, I very much enjoy your videos.

Reactions: matakana

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK

“ Bravo “

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hey Tang - sounds really lovely. There are some lovely harmonics and density coming out with this Neumann that sounds very realistic.
It sounds as great as its reputation Bill. No wonder why many cart builders try to match the sound.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Am I correct in assuming, that your equipment is in your office? If so, does it not distract you from work? By the way, I very much enjoy your videos.
Hahaha. Total distraction sir. Only work I do in the room is signing documents and routine stuff which is no value adding to my business. I actually create works for my people most at a coffee shop in my son's school watching kids play. That's when my head is crystal clear and creativity kicks in.

Thank you for appreciating my videos.

Reactions: Klonk

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It sounds as great as its reputation Bill. No wonder why many cart builders try to match the sound.
Did you try that new German rebuild version at all yet? Curious as to whether that is decent or not.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Incredible sound from a video taken at that position in the room, congrats!

Reactions: matakana

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing