American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What is the difference in design, and what is the difference in sound, between the original white DST and the original black DST?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
What is the difference in design, and what is the difference in sound, between the original white DST and the original black DST?
The white one is the original DST black one is the last version the DST 62. The 62 is closer in character to modern MC cartridges the DST is more visceral and IMO less colored. @Tango should share his impressions of both too.

david

Reactions: mtemur

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The white one is the original DST black one is the last version the DST 62. The 62 is closer in character to modern MC cartridges the DST is more visceral and IMO less colored. @Tango should share his impressions of both too.

david

Thank you, David.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I would love to know what changed between the white dst and the dst62 and why.

I am pretty sure that Neumann did not lose their abilities in this time period, so whatever changed must have been on purpose. Cost? Striving for wider bandwidth?

@Tango did you keep the westrex cart as well? I recall you tested it or heard it somewhere?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

I am pretty sure that Neumann did not lose their abilities in this time period, so whatever changed must have been on purpose. Cost? Striving for wider bandwidth?
Nothing changed in the construction or level of sound quality the difference is only in the sonic aesthetic. Think of it as a higher level vintage EMT or SPU type sound. Neumanns weren't commercial cartridges they were almost exclusively used in mastering, maybe he wanted to get closer to high end consumer type sound with the 62.

david

Reactions: Solypsa

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
That system looks great. Congratulations Tang and David.

I spy with my little eye: two 3012Rs, two Axioms, and two SATs. Interestingly, no arm on the Kronos. I agree with Lagonda that the AS2000 is the best looking TT of the bunch. Very purposeful look, and solid. Congratulations to Jarek also on a fine looking and what looks to be a very successful rack design.
Just noticed that Peter posted this four years ago today… the audiophile trap in that seemingly harmless thought was set very early! :eek:

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Just noticed that Peter posted this four years ago today… the audiophile trap in that seemingly harmless thought was set very early! :eek:

Graham, I admired from afar the AS 2000. I then heard it and directly compared it to the TechDAS AF1in Rockitman’s system. There was no comparison. I then heard the turntable in David‘s system on two separate visits. Then I lived with the original AS1000 for a month in my own system. I am not at all surprised that Tang has kept the EMT 927 and the AS 2000 and sold off the rest.

Yes, the trap was set four years ago. My leg got caught two weeks ago. Just think how much Tang has learned in the intervening four years. And wait until he gets those speakers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lagonda

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
It’s funny Peter, I think we sometimes can sense the moment that a thought goes in that will become a clear direction.. though sometimes it enters in a small innocuous observation … it’s like in landscape design there is the desire line which is the way we are drawn to travel instinctively. You can feel it being triggered even though reason might tell us to question what is required by the going in a certain direction. But for me this is definitely a hobby of passion over reason lol. We pretend it’s all reasonable but I’m not sure that’s why we are actually here. Passion is a fabulously wayward driver but such a journey!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

@Tango did you keep the westrex cart as well? I recall you tested it or heard it somewhere?
Yes. The Westrex 10A. I did not mention much trying to keep it unheard as has been. The cart is incredible. Even better the Neumann in clarity and transient speed. The most agile cart I have heard. But in the region of bass it is not as impressive as the Neumann. The bass from Neumann is just so natural. For both Westrex and Neumann Instrument just makes sound out of the air in front of you. Natural presentation. No color that veil the recording. A lot of use of the term natural because when it is so difficult to describe the word natural just pop up.

Added: Another stand out character of the two cart is the energy that they pour into music.

Regarding bandwidth. The Westrex also goes up to no more than 17k I believe. But its strength actually lies in the highs. Living with these carts change my perception of the need for bandwidth that goes beyond my ears.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk and Solypsa

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
@Audiophile Bill. Here is a video walk through of my new speakers. You asked many times when I will have in my room. Well they are still not in my room. David only finalized the wood baffle two days ago. You being a meticulous DIYer only know so well changing one material could lead to different sound. Sending me video clips, David walked me through the change in baffle for example changing just the top part could make a difference like changing cable. We will keep our secret sauce to our own though. The video was made before we finalized the baffle. The volume he played was alittle low. It gets more interesting starting the second song Roxanne when he moved toward the speakers and to the back. The tone is very pure.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
I love these large baffles, reminds me of flush mounted studio monitors!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
@Audiophile Bill. Here is a video walk through of my new speakers. You asked many times when I will have in my room. Well they are still not in my room. David only finalized the wood baffle two days ago. You being a meticulous DIYer only know so well changing one material could lead to different sound. Sending me video clips, David walked me through the change in baffle for example changing just the top part could make a difference like changing cable. We will keep our secret sauce to our own though. The video was made before we finalized the baffle. The volume he played was alittle low. It gets more interesting starting the second song Roxanne when he moved toward the speakers and to the back. The tone is very pure.

W-O-W! That is fantastic! Congratulations! When do we all get to see the whole system come together? Very very exciting!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Very happy for you, Tango. Wishing you lots of pleasure and happiness when these beautiful beasts arrive at your place.

Best.

Reactions: christoph and ddk

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Very happy for you, Tango. Wishing you lots of pleasure and happiness when these beautiful beasts arrive at your place.

Best.
I am thinking of putting a bear in my room.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

Awesome sound, fantastic -- wonderful choice, David. Sounds better through my computer speakers than through my system. How 'bout 'Guarda Che Luna' ?

Once upon a time I asked Vladimir Lamm to tell me what records he would play for me if I came to his house. That album was on his list. Fonè 106

Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The baffles look great. I also think the whole execution of the rear frame looks very nice. Are those newly made subs also? What is the box on the table at the end - is it an active crossover for the subs?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Awesome sound, fantastic -- wonderful choice, David. Sounds better through my computer speakers than through my system. How 'bout 'Guarda Che Luna' ?

Once upon a time I asked Vladimir Lamm to tell me what records he would play for me if I came to his house. That album was on his list. Fonè 106
The behind the scene was David sent me a set of videos this Musica Nuda included. He asked me what I think of them. I said I liked the natural tone very much. Even when he moved toward the driver up close, the tone was still pure without distortion. I also gave him my reservations of the sound. He responded back agreeing the sound to his quote " was still bugging me" and should have that last bit of realism. The build up, the rise and fall, the surge should be more heartfelt that were what I said. Then he went back did something, didn't tell me, send me another set of videos same songs and asked me to compare. I said I wanted the sound on second set of videos. My thinking was he switched cables. Then he told me it was a change of baffle. "We are done Khun Tang. Iam 100% satisfied now." There are multiple pieces of wood panels constituting a baffle. Changing one make that big of difference I could hear it on videos. Yes. All these through videos. The video I posted here is from the first set. I just want to show the walkthrough. The second set did not have this Musica Nuda but contains other songs that we could compare. It really took so long (because of Covid too) to finish the job. What I described above is just the very last part. I think he did this for me because I am his friend. As a business person I do not think it is worth to spend so much time like this for this much money even it is no little. With the amount of time involved I could make a lot more, so much more doing something else. I think David just wants to pass on something special to me because he sees me realize the value of this audio treasure and also as a token of our friendship.

Tima you have this Musica Nuda record. You know very well that the voice of Petra Magoni has one hell of a sibilance if the system is off and the cartridge set up is not spot on. I use this vinyl for setting up cart too. Listen to how David set uphis cart. It is flawless.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I think David just wants to pass on something special to me because he sees me realize the value of this audio treasure and also as a token of our friendship.

Opportunities to carry the Eurodyn/Bionor sound into the future should be seized -- even though these are built for you, you are now their custodian. David hinted to Peter and I in May of obstacles to overcome -- kudos to him for this remarkable achievement. Thank you for sharing it -- I look forward to more videos.

That raw opening cello ... when I first played the video I knew he made it happen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing