American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The main guy working on the wood and doing most of the construction assembly set up shop here living with us for the last 3 months we can call it "Made In The Backyard" :)
Careful, you might just end up with something akin to the original Bugatti workshop : masterpieces from the backyard! ;)

Seriously tho, may as well make a few more pairs now that you have the blueprint, materials and methods down, right?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Careful, you might just end up with something akin to the original Bugatti workshop : masterpieces from the backyard! ;)

Seriously tho, may as well make a few more pairs now that you have the blueprint, materials and methods down, right?
Theoretically yes but unlike wood Siemens parts don’t grow on trees:(.

david

• Sad
Reactions: christoph

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thank you Tang for sharing this with others here. It would remain unknown otherwise.
I have made many friends here in this forum. Most of them I might not even have a chance to meet in person not to mention hearing their systems since we live world apart. Showing system video is just opening up for us to know more of one another. It is a pity we regulars chatting making comment to each other everyday about sound, system, gears for years but never get a glimpse of their system. I found many videos so intriguing capturing my attention and made me want to know more about those gears. Without it I would not have know that the sound can be so good from many of those gears. Until we have a teleporter we crazy audio nuts will have to make use of technology available to get a glimpse of someone's system that is on the other side of the globe. One thing about posting a system video is you have to learn to accept comments from people who see it. Whatever impression they have, thats their impression. No need to defend if they hear differently.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Is this the permanent magnet or field coil version of Euronor?
I heard the field coil version, all original, but in a much smaller enclosure, it dissapointed me. In regard to younger alnico speakers, it sounded like telephone, typical 1930s sound. It needs much knowledge from experts to convert those old speakers systems to play with modern tone and frequency range. In their original state, they easily can sound outdated.
So this version sounds very good to me, we have to understand that in those days the music plays from the middle of the frequency spectrum, that was the main part and most realistic. Much more realistic tone than almost all systems today.
Another thing is the loss in audio quality with recordings. Its not fair to judge a system on the internet when played by mp3 algorithm. But even then, this one lets its qualities shine. Thats excellent.
Regarding the Neumann DST, I had the chance to listen to a very fine replica, made in germany. It was a DST and a special mono DMT. They sounded excellent, better than Ortofon stereo and mono. But for the price of doubling the tracking force to 6gr. Its a little bit too much for me.
But both showed a quality in tone equal to the Eurodyn, I think it would be a fine match when building such a system from scratch.

Last edited:

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I always told Tang is number one
I am very courious to see his new loudspeakers he will buy next 5/6 years

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I always told Tang is number one
I am very courious to see his new loudspeakers he will buy next 5/6 years
I am always #13 Gian. All my license plates are 13. Most things that fell on me have been around 1 and 3 somehow. I want to buy your Quad but you did not know and sold them to another friend.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Tang, will the humidity in Thailand change the sound of the baffles? Floor boards certainly need a couple of years to acclimatise to warm humid climates. Might they need a re-tweaking in a few years?

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Tang, will the humidity in Thailand change the sound of the baffles? Floor boards certainly need a couple of years to acclimatise to warm humid climates. Might they need a re-tweaking in a few years?
I guess Tang's office has an AC ;)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Is this the permanent magnet or field coil version of Euronor?
I heard the field coil version, all original, but in a much smaller enclosure, it dissapointed me. In regard to younger alnico speakers, it sounded like telephone, typical 1930s sound. It needs much knowledge from experts to convert those old speakers systems to play with modern tone and frequency range. In their original state, they easily can sound outdated.
So this version sounds very good to me, we have to understand that in those days the music plays from the middle of the frequency spectrum, that was the main part and most realistic. Much more realistic tone than almost all systems today.
Another thing is the loss in audio quality with recordings. Its not fair to judge a system on the internet when played by mp3 algorithm. But even then, this one lets its qualities shine. Thats excellent.
Regarding the Neumann DST, I had the chance to listen to a very fine replica, made in germany. It was a DST and a special mono DMT. They sounded excellent, better than Ortofon stereo and mono. But for the price of doubling the tracking force to 6gr. Its a little bit too much for me.
But both showed a quality in tone equal to the Eurodyn, I think it would be a fine match when building such a system from scratch.
Permanent magnet version. FC version has a more limited frequency range but I wouldn’t call it a telephone, they are extremely musical and natural sounding. The problem with 50+ year old audio is condition so they can be all over the place sonically.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One thing about posting a system video is you have to learn to accept comments from people who see it.

and from Al

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Al M. and ddk

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Permanent magnet version. FC version has a more limited frequency range but I wouldn’t call it a telephone, they are extremely musical and natural sounding. The problem with 50+ year old audio is condition so they can be all over the place sonically.

david
Don't know the conditions of the FC Eurodyn, the owner stated that they were all original in original small cabinets. They sure looked very old, like 90 year old hifi do today. What I meant was, to have such a system compare to our modern standards, it has to be perfected in one way or the other, maybe a new frequency dividing unit, a new enclosure. As it was, it reminded me on what we gained and what we lost in music reproduction. We gained wide frequency range but often lost many of this capability to reproduce the midrange correct and let the music shine from the midrange. Some high end speakers today even have lost all midrange for better clarity and so they loose all sound colors of the midrange. Thats not easy to recreate, even the electronics aren't able to recreate this magic today. And as we could hear with this system, the wood enclosure is another complex task to solve, I don't see many companies that solved it like in this example, just play acoustic music with their systems and the loss of bad cabinets become very clearly for any experienced listener.

Reactions: mtemur and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing