American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
The baffles look great. I also think the whole execution of the rear frame looks very nice. Are those newly made subs also? What is the box on the table at the end - is it an active crossover for the subs?
Thanks Bill, the subs are vintage JBL B380s refinished to match the speakers and stands to go with it too. We have to make the system fit Tang’s hence the vertical orientation, they work both ways.

The crossover is a tube electronic one but it’s different from it’s off the shelf versions, it’s been custom made specifically for this Klangfilm/JBL combination. It has it’s own slope for this purpose.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Awesome sound, fantastic -- wonderful choice, David. Sounds better through my computer speakers than through my system. How 'bout 'Guarda Che Luna' ?

Once upon a time I asked Vladimir Lamm to tell me what records he would play for me if I came to his house. That album was on his list. Fonè 106
I’ll have Guarda Che Luna in the next set of videos for Tang, need a few more days to finish the final baffles.

david

Reactions: matthias and tima

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Vocals sound too bright.
That’s pretty much the Yin & Yang of the duo and the recording, lightness of her voice and fullness of double bass compliment one another. With the subs it takes a click to warm up the vocals if that’s one’s after.

david

Reactions: mtemur

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: ddk

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
@Audiophile Bill. Here is a video walk through of my new speakers. You asked many times when I will have in my room. Well they are still not in my room. David only finalized the wood baffle two days ago. You being a meticulous DIYer only know so well changing one material could lead to different sound. Sending me video clips, David walked me through the change in baffle for example changing just the top part could make a difference like changing cable. We will keep our secret sauce to our own though. The video was made before we finalized the baffle. The volume he played was alittle low. It gets more interesting starting the second song Roxanne when he moved toward the speakers and to the back. The tone is very pure.

Tang, this sounds fantastic. Excellent tone and weight and dynamics. Great balance also. You are one lucky dude.

Congratulations David. The speakers are a superb achievement. Great integration with the subwoofers. The music is so present and alive.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
@Audiophile Bill. Here is a video walk through of my new speakers. You asked many times when I will have in my room. Well they are still not in my room. David only finalized the wood baffle two days ago. You being a meticulous DIYer only know so well changing one material could lead to different sound. Sending me video clips, David walked me through the change in baffle for example changing just the top part could make a difference like changing cable. We will keep our secret sauce to our own though. The video was made before we finalized the baffle. The volume he played was alittle low. It gets more interesting starting the second song Roxanne when he moved toward the speakers and to the back. The tone is very pure.

Looks and sounds wonderful Tang :cool:

Although the lite female jazz covers almost sent me to sleep

No idea how those beasts will be shipped to Thailand.

Can the speakers play rock n roll and electronica music?

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

You know I like 80's Brit. The Eurodyn I am sure play better this music than my Cessaro. Are they going to be great on rock and electronica? I doubt it. I have not heard any system that plays unamplified music more realistically play electronica and rock better than those speakers used in a discotheque or club. I love club music and I am tied to the sound I hear in club. Most satisfying to me that way Shane. I like listening electronica in my car too.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dual woofer horns like Altec horns and Leif’s horns play amplified music much superior to cone speakers. Add subs depending on requirements. Bionor are also dual woofer. Altecs were used by most 60 70 artists like Hendrix etc, check pictures of their live shows. They were also used in disco clubs.

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
For tang’s Cessaro to be good on amplified rock he just needs to add a bit more body in the top half. If required by reducing resolution

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bionor and Kondo with some amplified music

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
That’s pretty much the Yin & Yang of the duo and the recording, lightness of her voice and fullness of double bass compliment one another. With the subs it takes a click to warm up the vocals if that’s one’s after.

david
I think the vocal is spot on. Congratulations.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It’s just a simple hand held phone video and all this quality and natural sound comes through easily. And it is basically a one off DIY project. It is another example of knowledge and experience and skill coming together to create something very special. It is great to see.

Thank you Tang for sharing this with others here. It would remain unknown otherwise.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
Thank you, I don’t have a problem with it either!

david
Doesn’t sound natural to me. Sounds overly bright and peaky. If you played these same tracks on Peter’s system it would sound very very different. Seems like Tang said you made some changes to the baffle since this video though so I’m sure it’s better now.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Doesn’t sound natural to me. Sounds overly bright and peaky. If you played these same tracks on Peter’s system it would sound very very different. Seems like Tang said you made some changes to the baffle since this video though so I’m sure it’s better now.
You're hearing what you're hearing Derek I'm not arguing about that and I'm fine with your assessment. I know these tracks very well and this is how it's recorded so it will always be peaky and annoying for some. The final baffle modifications don't have anything to do with this recording there are other reasons for it and if anything there will be a more rising top end. This LP happened to be on the turntable when I made this video for Tang, showing him what he's getting that's all.

david

Reactions: djsina2 and mtemur

djsina2

May 30, 2019
You're hearing what you're hearing Derek I'm not arguing about that and I'm fine with your assessment. I know these tracks very well and this is how it's recorded so it will always be peaky and annoying for some. The final baffle modifications don't have anything to do with this recording there are other reasons for it and if anything there will be a more rising top end. This LP happened to be on the turntable when I made this video for Tang, showing him what he's getting that's all.

david
Thank you for not arguing with my assessment. I don’t know these tracks at all so it’s good to know the recording itself is making it sound so unnatural.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
It’s just a simple hand held phone video and all this quality and natural sound comes through easily. And it is basically a one off DIY project. It is another example of knowledge and experience and skill coming together to create something very special. It is great to see.

Thank you Tang for sharing this with others here. It would remain unknown otherwise.
This baffle is anything but DIY Peter :rolleyes:, it's actually a very involved project. I'm guiding the direction, figuring out the structure and managing the project but the physical work is done by 3 artisans almost full time for the past 6 months. That's aside from the engineer working on the crossover's slopes for this system. An Italian architect friend penned the original design and conceptualized the floating infinite baffle. There are many other details we had to work out from matching the sub's drivers to finding the original phenolic material for the spacers that go between frame and the horn. Then there are all the various prototypes assessing different woods.

The main guy working on the wood and doing most of the construction assembly set up shop here living with us for the last 3 months we can call it "Made In The Backyard" :) but not DIY! Pretty much how cottage manufacturing works.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
This baffle is anything but DIY Peter :rolleyes:, it's actually a very involved project. I'm guiding the direction, figuring out the structure and managing the project but the physical work is done by 3 artisans almost full time for the past 6 months. That's aside from the engineer working on the crossover's slopes for this system. An Italian architect friend penned the original design and conceptualized the floating infinite baffle. There are many other details we had to work out from matching the sub's drivers to finding the original phenolic material for the spacers that go between frame and the horn. Then there are all the various prototypes assessing different woods.

The main guy working on the wood and doing most of the construction assembly set up shop here living with us for the last 3 months we can call it "Made In The Backyard" :) but not DIY! Pretty much how cottage manufacturing works.

david

Thank you for explaining David. What I meant was getting a great result from someone who is not a speaker manufacture per se making many speakers. I know it was a team effort by people knowing what they are doing. My mistake to refer to it as DIY.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing