American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
You are welcome Bill. I installed a steel column under each of the four legs of my rack going through the basement down to the house foundation. There are no issues.

I apologize to Tang for taking the discussion away from his system and David’s Turntable.
Very clever solution!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Nothing is happening just yet. David's speaker system is rested in my warehouse still in the boxes. The Cessaro Gamma II are moved to my friend's house because I have no space. My Studer and Lamm pre are back from repair. Hardware are all ready for setup. Just waiting for me to get back to audio. I actually feel like I have "the" system and a peace of mind. It is in my hand so I am doing other things. My crazy French friend had his Bionor setup kept asking me if I have heard the sound of the "small dick" Eurodyn yet. He said his Bionor is the Big Dick the best speakers he heard by his words. Now he wants to switch from Kondo to Lamm.

231E1363-8F59-45F1-8A05-FDA36F2C45AF.jpeg
244C9E96-7682-4D73-9B51-13EE8BD379F5.jpeg

Last edited:

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The Tango-sphere will never be the same. I was kind of fond of the old set up, from a strictly internet point of view.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Nothing is happening just yet. David's speaker system is rested in my warehouse still in the boxes. The Cessaro Gamma II are moved to my friend's house because I have no space. My Studer and Lamm pre are back from repair. Hardware are all ready for setup. Just waiting for me to get back to audio. I actually feel like I have "the" system and a peace of mind. It is in my hand so I am doing other things. My crazy French had his Bionor setup kept asking me if I have heard the sound of the "small dick" Eurodyn yet. He said his Bionor is the Big Dick the best speakers he heard by his words. Now he wants to switch from Kondo to Lamm.

View attachment 100909
View attachment 100910
A very lucky friend… must be exciting coming into the holidays with a bold new world ahead.

Reactions: christoph

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Nothing is happening just yet. David's speaker system is rested in my warehouse still in the boxes. The Cessaro Gamma II are moved to my friend's house because I have no space. My Studer and Lamm pre are back from repair. Hardware are all ready for setup. Just waiting for me to get back to audio. I actually feel like I have "the" system and a peace of mind. It is in my hand so I am doing other things. My crazy French had his Bionor setup kept asking me if I have heard the sound of the "small dick" Eurodyn yet. He said his Bionor is the Big Dick the best speakers he heard by his words. Now he wants to switch from Kondo to Lamm.

View attachment 100909
View attachment 100910
Time to show him YOURS!

david

• Haha
Reactions: Bobvin and tima

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Time to show him YOURS!

david
Size doesnt matter as long as it is still soft. Wanting to switch to Lamm means his is still soft. No subs also means not hard as it should. :D

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Size doesnt matter as long as it is still soft. Wanting to switch to Lamm means his is still soft. No subs also means not hard as it should. :D
For full range maturity he needs to a grow a pair for his Big D!

david

Last edited:
Reactions: Bobvin

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
He said his Bionor is the Big Dick the best speakers he heard by his words. Now he wants to switch from Kondo to Lamm.
For small private listening rooms, the big auditorium baffles aren't necessary at all. They don't fit the most private rooms at all and are much oversized. Those were designs for cinemas or big venues with hundreds of people attending a listening session.

It's possible to shrink it to more user friendly sizes easily. Who needs to have a big dick audio system, the adolescents with deep pockets?
Come on man, we are adults and should behave like those, no teenagers. It's all about quality in sound reproduction, not size for no reason.
Once I auditioned a big horn speaker, but even this speaker could fit into a bigger than average living room. Those old speakers are not about the lowest octave of listening like its modern these days. Their qualities lie in different aspects of sound. Sound, no modern speaker can deliver
anymore.
1484051791_kb052b.png

Last edited:

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Nothing is happening just yet. David's speaker system is rested in my warehouse still in the boxes. The Cessaro Gamma II are moved to my friend's house because I have no space. My Studer and Lamm pre are back from repair. Hardware are all ready for setup. Just waiting for me to get back to audio. I actually feel like I have "the" system and a peace of mind. It is in my hand so I am doing other things. My crazy French friend had his Bionor setup kept asking me if I have heard the sound of the "small dick" Eurodyn yet. He said his Bionor is the Big Dick the best speakers he heard by his words. Now he wants to switch from Kondo to Lamm.

View attachment 100909
View attachment 100910
7BE1A084-DBA7-40E2-A001-A736D48D427A.jpeg

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
For small private listening rooms, the big auditorium baffles aren't necessary at all. They don't fit the most private rooms at all and are much oversized. Those were designs for cinemas or big venues with hundreds of people attending a listening session.

It's possible to shrink it to more user friendly sizes easily. Who needs to have a big dick audio system, the adolescents with deep pockets?
Come on man, we are adults and should behave like those, no teenagers. It's all about quality in sound reproduction, not size for no reason.
Once I auditioned a big horn speaker, but even this speaker could fit into a bigger than average living room. Those old speakers are not about the lowest octave of listening like its modern these days. Their qualities lie in different aspects of sound. Sound, no modern speaker can deliver
anymore.
View attachment 100919
Been experimenting with all sorts of baffles and horn bass bins a for very long time, at least 20 years, even built 6 more baffles for @Tango 's project, while I agree with you on their special qualities you're totally wrong about the baffle size and wood quality Walter. Both have a huge impact on the final sound of these speakers including the mids and highs, you can only hope to guess what such speakers are capable of miniaturized as above but not touch, size matters!

david

Last edited:

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
David, there might be a misunderstanding in my post.

You won't find anything in my text that denies the importance of the wood quality concerning those old resonant speaker designs.
I've studied those old designs of the past in depth and for years because as a DIY, I'm interested in this field of mostly forgotten knowledge about resonant wood speaker designs.

And that means, I've studied it longer than two decades, more than three decades ago I first was initiated to this mysterious quality of sound generated by those speakers. I made much approach to audition some excellent examples of those speakers, so I'm truly aware of their qualities, shortcomings and sound.

With the importance of big baffles for low frequency reproduction, I'm with you absolutely.
The main question remains, were those antique audio speakers designed to play, lets say, 20 Hz with a relevant SPL (Sound Pressure Level per speaker)?
If you look at the data of the main power amps for those old speaker designs with big baffles, one clearly sees that the amps had a relevant frequency response not below 50 Hz at that time. They struggled hard with the low and high frequency response, because of the limited quality of their audio transformers. Every data book on audio transformers tells the whole story.

For the first generation of cinema amps, the WE 43A, Western did not state a frequency response at all.

But for the third generation, the 124 series of power amps, they stated 50-10Kz +-1dB. That was the situation in the 1950's, and it had improved from the original state of frequency response of tube amps in the late 1920's greatly.

This is why the speakers had to be that big or they made use of big baffles, otherwise, they weren't able to reproduce low freqencies at all.
Even a famous speaker design of that time, the WE 728B, did not produce Sound Pressure levels below 60 Hz.

With a modern power amp, having a nearly linear freq. response from 20-20KHz, that full frequency range speaker doesn't need big baffles to compensate for a limited frequency response of the amp anymore. And thats even true for modern tube amps as well.

So what you achieve, combining speaker designs invented for compensating the limiting frequency response of the amps of those days, with modern, linear amp designs, is just an overpronounced low frequency response.
That is even more true, when using big baffle speakers, designed to operate in big venues or cinemas but being completely oversized for the listening situation in personal living rooms of much smaller size and different shape.

You may write that I'm completely false on this topic, but personally I do know what an Altec VOTT horn speaker can do in a living room environment. One will have a hard time to control that energies in that room. Most installations I've heard struggled hard with the problems.
As modern technologies present a solution for those situations, some audiophiles went further on to install a digital speaker management system to cover those problems, they never get rid off in the analog domain.
But even that creates new, but different problems.

So for me, the room size has to match the speaker size and the room should be able to accept and absorb the huge energies a horn speaker is able to throw into the room.
An old, original speaker design, combined with a modern amp in a much too small room can't deliver an ideal sound result. And that's not only my opinion, that's simple physics.

Last edited:
Reactions: Argonaut

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

You won't find anything in my text that denies the importance of the wood quality concerning those old resonant speaker designs.
I replied directly to your comment, no misunderstanding.
For small private listening rooms, the big auditorium baffles aren't necessary at all.

... It's possible to shrink it to more user friendly sizes easily. Who needs to have a big dick audio system, the adolescents with deep pockets?

I've studied those old designs of the past in depth and for years because as a DIY, I'm interested in this field of mostly forgotten knowledge about resonant wood speaker designs.
And that means, I've studied it longer than two decades, more than three decades ago I first was initiated to this mysterious quality of sound generated by those speakers. I made much approach to audition some excellent examples of those speakers, so I'm truly aware of their qualities, shortcomings and sound.
I appreciate your experience but I own and live with these particular designs for over two decades, direct experience not study from a distance.
With the importance of big baffles for low frequency reproduction, I'm with you absolutely.
Actually I was commenting on and concerned with mid and high frequency response more than bass extension, which is also very important but not the issue in this build.
....the baffle size and wood quality Walter. Both have a huge impact on the final sound of these speakers including the mids and highs, you can only hope to guess what such speakers are capable of miniaturized as above but not touch, size matters!

david

The main question remains, were those antique audio speakers designed to play, lets say, 20 Hz with a relevant SPL (Sound Pressure Level per speaker)?
If you look at the data of the main power amps for those old speaker designs with big baffles, one clearly sees that the amps had a relevant frequency response not below 50 Hz at that time. They struggled hard with the low and high frequency response, because of the limited quality of their audio transformers. Every data book on audio transformers tells the whole story.

For the first generation of cinema amps, the WE 43A, Western did not state a frequency response at all.

But for the third generation, the 124 series of power amps, they stated 50-10Kz +-1dB. That was the situation in the 1950's, and it had improved from the original state of frequency response of tube amps in the late 1920's greatly.

This why the speakers had to be that big or they made use of big baffles, otherwise, they weren't able to reproduce low freqencies at all.
Even a famous speaker design of that time, the WE 728B, did not produce Sound Pressure levels below 60 Hz.

With a modern power amp, having a nearly linear freq. response from 20-20KHz, that full frequency range speaker doesn't need big baffles to compensate for a limited frequency response of the amp anymore. And thats even true for modern tube amps as well.

So what you achieve, combining speaker designs invented for compensating the limiting frequency response of the amps of those days, with modern, linear amp designs, is just an overpronounced low frequency response.
That is even more true, when using big baffle speakers, designed to operate in big venues or cinemas and not being completely oversized for the listening situation in personal living rooms of much smaller size and different shape.
Maybe if you don't know what you're doing, certainly not my experience with these speakers.
You may write that I'm completely false on this topic, but personally I do know what an Altec VOTT horn speaker can do in a living room environment. One will have a hard time to control that energies in that room. Most installations I've heard struggled hard with the problems.
Most installations I hear struggle hard with any speaker, nature of the beast. This is where knowledge and experience comes into play.
As modern technologies present a solution for those situations, some audiophiles went further to install a digital speaker management system to cover those problems, they never get rid off in the analog domain.

So for me, the room size has to match the speaker size and the room should be able to accept and absorb the huge energies a horn speaker is able to throw into the room.
An old, original speaker design, combined with a modern amp in a much too small room can't deliver an ideal sound result. And that's not only my opinion, that's simple physics.
We're discussing Siemens Klangfilm speakers, two very specific models using modern electronics there's no relevant point generalizing about different unrelated designs and prewar electronics.
You can overdrive a space with any speaker doesn't have to be an open baffle theater speaker, many have been using them in domestic environments with excellent results, even large WE horn systems. We probably have a difference of opinion about too small a space as well.

david

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I don't know why there is such a delay in setting them up. They're not that big. Oh, wait, I mis-spoke. Looks like they're up and running. And since they're bluetooth, you can throw all those wires away. Enjoy!!

View attachment 100948
Thats just mean! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ddk and tima

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

This is why the speakers had to be that big or they made use of big baffles, otherwise, they weren't able to reproduce low freqencies at all.

That is even more true, when using big baffle speakers, designed to operate in big venues or cinemas but being completely oversized for the listening situation in personal living rooms of much smaller size and different shape.

As modern technologies present a solution for those situations, some audiophiles went further on to install a digital speaker management system to cover those problems, they never get rid off in the analog domain.

The baffles don't "compensate" for lack of low end in the amps. That's a totally misleading characterization of the reality.

Under 100hz everything has to be over 3ft and growing the lower you go, to have a horn effect (not just flat baffle). None of them have that. Even if they did the drivers don't play very low. The baffle size prevents cancellation with the back wave. The size of the baffle determines what frequencies won't be getting cancellation. The drivers likely work better in OB/IB config due to their parameters, such as a Q more suited to it. There simply is nothing to do with acoustical gain in the lower frequencies - especially in relation to the amplifiers.

I simply don't understand why there is an insistent claim about voodoo with speaker... "energies" aka room gain... Very normal standard stuff that is simple to deal with and totally unrelated to dumb shit like "pressurizing" comments.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Been experimenting with all sorts of baffles and horn bass bins a for very long time, at least 20 years, even built 6 more baffles for @Tango 's project,

After Tang is up and running, I would love for you to write a thread about the project, of course w/out trade secrets. I'll go so far as asking (please) for a Forum:

David Karmeli Discusses 5 Reference Speakers Forum​

Bionor/Eurodyne
Vitavox
JBL ?
TAD ?
?
?
... whatever you want to write about. :)

• Love
Reactions: pcosta and PeterA

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
After Tang is up and running, I would love for you to write a thread about the project, of course w/out trade secrets. I'll go so far as asking (please) for a Forum:

Bionor/Eurodyne
Vitavox
JBL ?
TAD ?
?
?
We’ll see it’s mostly a question of time I also have to finish this turntable series.

david

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

Bionor/Eurodyne
Vitavox
JBL ?
TAD ?
?
?

I love this idea. Perhaps Mitsubishi Diatone.

Reactions: tima and crosswind

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing