American Sound AS-2000 Installations- Far East (Tango)

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang

Thank you for posting this video. I believe David sent you this video to show where in the ballpark he is with your project. To me, it showed that a horn speaker can be without the vices usually associated with that type. Most of the videos I have seen about horn speakers left me veering towards the McGowan camp. Have I been wrong all this time? Then David Karmelli and you ( I have never met either) ,made it right again: A horn can sound the way it must. It can be a damn good speaker first and then add the elements thay makes a horn special.

In a way ,I started this video mess by posting a video because most people never heard a gigantic horn and few shall. In the end they should be just speakers that happens to be horns ,not some diabolical creation that somehow create a sound. Dave Karmelli gets that and for that the giants that became before us should be thankful.

Thank you for letting us get some feel of your system. I think I have seen a picture of your system before somewhere. I was wondering too how the sound would be to have a room as part of the speaker. Great job you did.

As David mentioned, the baffle is tunable. A smart design. My room acoustic, phono stage and tubes I use are different from David. Adjustability will give me flexibility to optimize the sound. The Eleanor Rigby you heard was a "rounded sound." More density in the mid and low down. No tilt up. Less exciting sound but super smooth with tremendous presence from bass as oppose to a presence from the treble. Video below is a different sound shifting the tonal balance up a little while not hyping. I think tuning sound is about balancing act. You will feel more presence now from leading edge. Cello plug at the beginning. Magoni voice is great for checking the system set up from cartridge setting, power mgt, cables and speakers themself. Her sibilances will show more when things I said is less good. Good record for system check up purpose imo.

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
This is superb sounding. Can you please specify wether this is an analog or digital source what we hear from your Klangfilm baffle? And if analog, what front end do we hear and what amplification?

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Dear Tang

Thank you for posting this video. I believe David sent you this video to show where in the ballpark he is with your project. To me, it showed that a horn speaker can be without the vices usually associated with that type. Most of the videos I have seen about horn speakers left me veering towards the McGowan camp. Have I been wrong all this time? Then David Karmelli and you ( I have never met either) ,made it right again: A horn can sound the way it must. It can be a damn good speaker first and then add the elements thay makes a horn special.

In a way ,I started this video mess by posting a video because most people never heard a gigantic horn and few shall. In the end they should be just speakers that happens to be horns ,not some diabolical creation that somehow create a sound. Dave Karmelli gets that and for that the giants that became before us should be thankful.

Wow jdza - epic system. King Kong Ding Dong - best Eleanor so far even though I detest that record with a passion haha. Any chance of more vids of your system - really impressive.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Fantastic speaker Tang,,you come from one of the best speaker in the world with good tad components,but when you will have in your room this you will be surprised and very excited to listen
I love this speaker

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Wow jdza - epic system. King Kong Ding Dong - best Eleanor so far even though I detest that record with a passion haha. Any chance of more vids of your system - really impressive.
The track has 3 simple and distinct instruments covering the entire frequency range. It’s not copyrighted for YT and many people are familiar with it. Also as you’ve heard from various vids it’s a great tool to show the differences among systems. It’s also a good tool for Tang to share the progression of speaker as he chooses.

david

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The track has 3 simple and distinct instruments covering the entire frequency range. It’s not copyrighted for YT and many people are familiar with it. Also as you’ve heard from various vids it’s a great tool to show the differences among systems. It’s also a good tool for Tang to share the progression of speaker as he chooses.

david

Hi David,

No offence intended lol. It just makes me sick into the back of my throat listening to it hahaha.

I am excited for Tang though because without question the Eurodyn will be a sexy speaker and very tonally saturated and full, which is up my street.

Any chance of hearing some piano or violin sonatas or similar?

Best.

Reactions: Klonk

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi David,

No offence intended lol. It just makes me sick into the back of my throat listening to it hahaha.

I am excited for Tang though because without question the Eurodyn will be a sexy speaker and very tonally saturated and full, which is up my street.

Any chance of hearing some piano or violin sonatas or similar?

Best.
Come on Bill, what offense I also loved jdza's sound! The purpose of my post was to explain why I chose this song to communicate with Tang, you're not the only one who hates it.

Baffle is now done and everything else dialed in enough to ship, I'm sending Tang some videos later tonight and he can share at his discretion.

david

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
An Open baffle Eurodyn is very depending in rooms acoustic. I didn't liked the fact that its a typical Dipole speaker. This was demonstrated in high end munich, think it was 2012.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
An Open baffle Eurodyn is very depending in rooms acoustic. I didn't liked the fact that its a typical Dipole speaker. This was demonstrated in high end munich, think it was 2012.

Yes I was looking at pictures of that curved baffle one at Munich. Did it sound any good?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Here is the one:
3B0CFF53-4F2C-453E-9BB6-AAEE2CC2AF98.jpeg

A485696E-ED8A-4D39-A59F-C0F670BC82C5.jpeg

Auditorium 23 presented it I believe.

• Love
Reactions: christoph

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I actually like the Eleanor Rigby on David’s speakers the best. I think it sounds the most dense and the woodiest to me.

Sorry, Bill, but musical Philistine that I am, I actually like the Musica Nuda cover musically.

Walter66

Aug 22, 2022
Here is the one:
View attachment 97665

View attachment 97666

Auditorium 23 presented it I believe.
The acoustics weren't on the same Level as the speakers. Typical audio fair shortcomings. I think amps weren't that good, too as we hear in this Installation. But its a Long Time ago, Just remember that it wasn't as good as it could be. But its a Showroom system. It should attract listeners to the actual A23 Products.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I actually like the Eleanor Rigby on David’s speakers the best. I think it sounds the most dense and the woodiest to me.

Sorry, Bill, but musical Philistine that I am, I actually like the Musica Nuda cover musically.

Hey Ron. No need to apologise haha. Is only my opinion!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
The acoustics weren't on the same Level as the speakers. Typical audio fair shortcomings. I think amps weren't that good, too as we hear in this Installation. But its a Long Time ago, Just remember that it wasn't as good as it could be. But its a Showroom system. It should attract listeners to the actual A23 Products.

Thanks. I like the look of what Auditorium 23 are doing but never heard their stuff.

Reactions: christoph

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

Ron who is this Phyllis Stein of whom we speak? Also loving the video sharing as always, learning much thanks guys… it’s really great to see the different characteristics come out of baffle design and other various horn configurations.

That track does set off my issue with second language jazz vocals and lyrics… ahhhhh look at all the lonely peep-holes ermmm whoops… :eek:

jdza think your setup sounds awesome, easily deserving a thread of its own, very much subscribed… also equally looking forwards to hearing some other genres from Tang’s new Euros.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Fantastic speaker Tang,,you come from one of the best speaker in the world with good tad components,but when you will have in your room this you will be surprised and very excited to listen
I love this speaker
Thank you Gian. I will try to make them sing even more fantastic than when in David's room. :D The in-room presence and tone purity should be something that surprise me. The TAD drivers in Cessaro are good but I think these Klangfilm has some more some less making the overall sound more balance.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dear Tang

Wow. 'Just' a video but what a video that is. Would love to hear that in real life some day.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Thank you for letting us get some feel of your system. I think I have seen a picture of your system before somewhere. I was wondering too how the sound would be to have a room as part of the speaker. Great job you did.

As David mentioned, the baffle is tunable. A smart design. My room acoustic, phono stage and tubes I use are different from David. Adjustability will give me flexibility to optimize the sound. The Eleanor Rigby you heard was a "rounded sound." More density in the mid and low down. No tilt up. Less exciting sound but super smooth with tremendous presence from bass as oppose to a presence from the treble. Video below is a different sound shifting the tonal balance up a little while not hyping. I think tuning sound is about balancing act. You will feel more presence now from leading edge. Cello plug at the beginning. Magoni voice is great for checking the system set up from cartridge setting, power mgt, cables and speakers themself. Her sibilances will show more when things I said is less good. Good record for system check up purpose imo.

Wow. It's almost worth flying to Utah before they depart to experience it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing