American Sound, "The Absolute Nothing"

I witnessed this same demonstration at Bé Yamamura's house in Tuscany in 1993. The demo unfolded in exactly the same manner. He showed us (my future wife and I) a rubber mallet, and without saying a word proceeded to hit the graphite record weight with force while the LP was playing. The needle, as Jonathan reported from his encounter, did not skip a beat. Bé later removed the platter so we could see the cylindrical bearing with its many air holes.

Be Yamamura and Imai of audio tekne were friends and lived in Italy for a long time and friends with Gian and Pietro. Gian could say more about this will ask him

No, he gave up the hobby. Sold it to my cousin three years ago. I'm building him a nice tube amplifier in exchange. Revox A77 motor, belt rubberized Kevlar tape. With capstan shafts almost 100% wrap angle on the platter for perfect power transmission.

P.S
the upper part of the platter is noise protection glass no contact with the spindle of bearing
It looks like it would sound very good, how is the motor controlled ? Does it use the servo control unit from the Revox ?

Peter,

no, it clarifies the nature of the beast. what does it do for the music. and the experience.

my point was that as i live with, and have lived with, multiple turntables and drive types, and bearing types, along with multiple arm types and arm bearing types, with all sorts of cartridges......lived with them for years and years........BUT.......most visitors to my room have not done that. so......that having a tt and arm both using air float and air bearing allows those visitors to really hear how those features present the music. and i personally appreciate what that combo does for my listening too.

i specifically said that i'm not claiming any scientific proof, just a taste of what this does. and some listeners really like it. with a high level, well executed hard bearing tt and arm sitting next to it.

unless you live with all these variables over an extended time, the nuances are hard to determine......if they are combined. what is causing what? for the visitor. i already know.

I think at the highest levels, sonic signatures tend to disappear. The best products have very little coloration or character.

I understand your point about demonstration purposes to show the sonic signature of a certain type to your guests.

At your level, the one that sounds the most natural should be all about the music and not about the sound of the turntable or tone arm support. If you play them all and like them all for different reasons, you are liking their individual characters. And that is fine. If you get to the point where there are no trade-offs between options, you’ve arrived at something that gets you closest to the music.

I have this experience with cartridges. I switch between cartridges for different flavors, but I always gravitate back to my favorite because it is the most transparent and gets me the closest to the music. It has the least sonic signature or identifiable sound.

Some listeners like a variety of ice cream and others tend to eat the one which they prefer to all the others.

As you say, no right or wrong, just different approaches.

@PeterA I would seek out the preferred approach for each component and then listen in combination to pass judgment. Sometimes the design is integrated so it is more difficult to separate.
I did this but still too many variables to get a good sense of the differences. I initially listened to my CS Port with a Kuzma Safir arm, initially using an MSL Platinum cartridge but wasn't that impressed. Switched to a SoundSmith Sussurro Gold LE and now the music flowed. Listened for several months then switched to the CS Port Linear air arm using the SoundSmith. Sounded fine but when I changed out to the MSL Platinum I now understood what the MSL brought to the table. OMG this was a revelation. It wasn't, IMO, the air-bearing platter & air-bearing arm working together but the synergy with the cartridge that made this work. The point is that each component by itself has meaning but just using one and the right combo of arm or cartridge is obviously the key. I have enjoyed trying these combos but I enjoy just sitting back and listening far more to music.

So, you're positive that American Sound turntables—yes, even the latest one—have no contact with the bearing, plinth, or anything else, except for the belt?

Reading through the response about the ‘uniqueness’ of the bearing, I couldn’t help but get the impression that as if David personally invented the air bearing turntable, and Micro Seiki just walked in and swiped the idea right from under him.

The platter is only in contact with the stylus and the thread, and the cushion of air below it. All three American Sound turntables are the same.

The bearing is completely different from the one in my big Micro Seiki turntable. In that case, there is physical contact with the bearing which I learned when I took the thing apart, cleaned it and repaired it.

Last edited:
It looks like it would sound very good, how is the motor controlled ? Does it use the servo control unit from the Revox ?
Mulcher conversion .
He used to convert revox motors for turntable use. With a ten-speed potentiometer you can adjust the speed from 32,500 to 33,500 rpm. An adjustable tension roller sits directly on the platter to set the correct tape guide and pre-tension . I know its based on orginal controller.you can also operate it without flywheel.

Reactions: Lagonda
Mulcher conversion .
He used to convert revox motors for turntable use. With a ten-speed potentiometer you can adjust the speed from 32,500 to 33,500 rpm. An adjustable tension roller sits directly on the platter to set the correct tape guide and pre-tension . I know its based on orginal controller.you can also operate it without flywheel.
Nice ! :) Some of the best sounding equipment in the world is probably sitting in basements of diy people in Germany. Great traditions and skills in engineering and tooling many places.

Last edited:
Reactions: DasguteOhr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu