Analog Magik

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
More experimentation. This time, the only parameter changed was zenith.

I had the numbers previously posted after realigning to Baerwald, with zenith set visually using Smart Tractor and dead center to the eye. There was a right channel bias in the VTA measurements: 2.4 left, 3.1 right.

Tonight, I tried two different zenith orientations: (1) zenith slightly skewed left, and (2) zenith slightly skewed right. Results were interesting.

Zenith skewed slightly left of center:
VTA: 14% left / 14% right (!!)
Crosstalk: -29.7 / 0 deg left, -29.3 / -20 deg right (these are both down about 3dB from yesterday's)
Antiskating start: .42 left / .44 right
Antiskating end: .99 left / 1.11 right
VTA: Forgot to check it

Zenith skewed slightly right of center:
VTA: 1% left / 2% right
Azimuth: -33.5 / 25 deg left, -32.3 deg / 0 deg right
Anti-skating start: 0..09 left / 0.11 right
Anti-skating end: 0.3 left / 0.34 right
VTA: Forgot to check it.

Wow. So zenith, for me, is the absolute most hyper-critical alignment parameter in terms of small changes having major ramifications overall. And it affects the measurements in every category to a significant degree. 14% VTA distortion?! LOL.

So now, with the slight right visual skew of the cantilever, I have about 50% less distortion in the VTA measurement though the right channel bias still surfaces, very good crosstalk but 1dB unbalanced and slightly phase mis-aligned, the best anti-skate number I've seen by far - maybe 75% lower than yesterday. I'm going to do some listening in this alignment and see how it goes. I'm not very motivated at this point to keep going. Minor zenith adjustments are very difficult although I have become rather adept at it now.

Reactions: Vienna and leftside

Vienna

VIP/Donor
hi Bryan,
I had to stop my zenith experiments with the Etna ? because of the GC arrival.

GC BX.jpeg gc pn.jpeg

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
More experimentation. This time, the only parameter changed was zenith.

I had the numbers previously posted after realigning to Baerwald, with zenith set visually using Smart Tractor and dead center to the eye. There was a right channel bias in the VTA measurements: 2.4 left, 3.1 right.

Tonight, I tried two different zenith orientations: (1) zenith slightly skewed left, and (2) zenith slightly skewed right. Results were interesting.

Wow. So zenith, for me, is the absolute most hyper-critical alignment parameter in terms of small changes having major ramifications overall. And it affects the measurements in every category to a significant degree. 14% VTA distortion?! LOL.
Same. My AM measurements are not as good as some on here, but much better than before, so I've decided to leave it as is - mainly because the zenith of the Benz LP-S is very difficult to set perfectly with the SmarTractor due to the cantilever on the cart having little exposure - and therefore difficult to line-up perfectly to the parallel lines on the SmarTractor. But, I'm still happy with my current AM results and improved listening experience.

Reactions: tima and Vienna

leftside

Jan 22, 2018
I've come to admire greatly carts with naked cantilever assemblies. Can you say.... VdH
A more visible/naked cantilever will be a major requirement of my next cart...

Vienna

VIP/Donor
i totally agree. I have used in the past many cartridges. Only with an exposed cantilever the average user can achieve good alignment.
The concealed cantilever, at least for me, it was always a trial/error procedure. My old Kisekis and Koetsus were consumed mostly on test records

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Same. My AM measurements are not as good as some on here, but much better than before, so I've decided to leave it as is - mainly because the zenith of the Benz LP-S is very difficult to set perfectly with the SmarTractor due to the cantilever on the cart having little exposure - and therefore difficult to line-up perfectly to the parallel lines on the SmarTractor. But, I'm still happy with my current AM results and improved listening experience.

I'm not sure how the magnifier integrates to the SmartTractor plate, but on the UNI-Pro it fits into a slotted square area so the base of the magnifier sits on the table's platter. What I've done with a cantilever tucked under the cartridge body (I too have a Benz LP-S so I know what you mean) is use a loupe where the magnifier would sit. It's not magic but along with a small LED flashlight aimed at the cantilever I do get a better view of the cantilever and the parallax gridlines. If you have a cheap plastic loupe sometimes you can file down the loupe to give it a flat side which can get it even lower.

Another trick for under-slung cantilevers is to use a small mirror where the magnifier goes, pointing at the cartridge, then view it from behind the headshell. Still no magic, but by tilting the mirror slightly back, you can get a bit more information on the cantilever's relative alignment to the grid.

Reactions: leftside

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Dear Tima

The Smart Tractor has the same square base to fit the magnifier. I found this arrangement inconvinient for me. I had cut it and I can place the magnifier closer which is providing me a much better view of the cantilever and the stylus.

of course i am keeping the lense always square to the reference lines.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
What I dislike about the square base is that the magnifier isn't a perfect fit into it, especially when the lens is tilted down towards the cantilever. But, so far, I've not had a problem viewing the cantilever. I do have to view the stylus in the divot from the side though.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I do have to view the stylus in the divot from the side though.

Me too. I actually wish there had been a way to add a magnifier to the side of the SMARTractor.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
some months ago, I found, in a very good price, one more, new smart tractor so I got it. Since then I am using two lenses (one placed squared to the cantilever and the other at the side).
also I have calibrated a small bubble level, placed on the ruler, in order to ensure complete level during adjustments.
i am always using a perspex block with parallel lines during the adjustments. I have seen that all bubble level are in need of calibration which is a very easy process.
Needless to say that during adjustment the anti-skating should be completely disengaged and no side (skate or antiskating) tension should be applied to the Tonearm.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What I dislike about the square base is that the magnifier isn't a perfect fit into it, especially when the lens is tilted down towards the cantilever. But, so far, I've not had a problem viewing the cantilever. I do have to view the stylus in the divot from the side though.

The plate on the UNI-Pro is metal and while there is room to move the magnifier laterally, the fore-aft fitment is quite snug.

Yes, I also view from the right side using a loupe to see how far the stylus point is from the divot. Another option is a USB microscope, though they are rather fiddly and time consuming. It can be frustrating to move the cartridge just a teeny amount when the stylus is right on the lip of the divot. Patience and don't forget to breathe. :)

Reactions: Vienna

Vienna

VIP/Donor
well the past week‘s posts, have cost me about 20 hours of experiments with AM. During these I managed:

1. To see that the Colibri Grand Cru I got, was totally a bad match with my Kuzma 4P. I wasn’t aware that I could have ordered a custom made one to match the 18 grams of my Tonearm’s effective mass
2. To see that The Etna ?, is a considerable upgrade from Etna
3. to prove that The 4P’s wire loop has an effect on AM measurement. in detail it has an effect on Right channel‘s separation and consequently on the VTA and antiskating measurements. I have excessively tested every possible wire orientation and (at least at my case) saw that the wire‘s fixture Should be at about 13:00. At this position antiskating measurements are 0.18% for both channels and VTA IMD at 1.60% for both channels. See no6 below.
4. to see that Bryan is absolutely right about the zenith, but the setting is a complete PITA. I regretted many times my attempts to improve and fine tune the cartridge further. At the end the reward is audible
5. Richard Mak is absolutely right about the screws torque (0.07 cNm) and the Teflon washers. The results are very much audible
6. Richard Mak is also right about the cartridge’s landing behavior. If during landing the cartridge has the tendency to move slightly to the right or left there is no way to achieve perfect settings. At my case the Tonearm‘s wire loop was affecting the landing behavior.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The plate on the UNI-Pro is metal and while there is room to move the magnifier laterally, the fore-aft fitment is quite snug.

Yes, I also view from the right side using a loupe to see how far the stylus point is from the divot. Another option is a USB microscope, though they are rather fiddly and time consuming. It can be frustrating to move the cartridge just a teeny amount when the stylus is right on the lip of the divot. Patience and don't forget to breathe. :)

I have actually ground down a round a loop to have a flat side and place it on the right side. I use a little bit of blue tak to hold it in place during the process.

gestalt

Aug 3, 2019
Nashville, TN
gestalt.audio
Installed a vdH Master Signature today and saw greater than 35dB/channel azimuth measurements, matched within 0.3 dB. I am constantly impressed by Mr. van den Hul.

AnalogMagik is such a nice tool.

Reactions: Vienna and bazelio

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Richard Mak has indicated to me in a couple of emails that there may be a version update coming for AM. I’d like to see that come to fruition. It sounded like a number of interesting enhancements would be available.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019
Been playing with this from time to time, and again this morning. The recurring difficulty I have with this system is that the readings fluctuate so much during the tracks - it makes it very difficult to see what differences changes actually make - you don't know which data to take as the result: do you take the immediate first readings, do you wait for 10 seconds, 20 seconds, to the end of the track? It would have been very useful for the software to display the cumulative average reading for the measurement as that way you would get some consistency between successive runs...

What are other users doing/seeing during measurement?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
It is a great macro reference tool. In that, when you set it up and readings are way off or you want to know you are going in the right direction. But you are correct, the readings fluctuate too much for micro adjustments so I do the last few steps by ear. Software hasn't been updated in quite some time since launch so here is hoping that a lot of that is improved.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
From my personal experience, whenever readings were fluctuating too much (with the condition that the cartridge was perfectly aligned), this always was an indication of other turntable/Tonearm problems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing