Any cyclists here?

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Late discovery of this cracking thread - didn't realise there were so many audiophiles who are also cyclists!

I'm a mountain biker first and foremost but dabble in a bit of road and gravel. Off next month to ride Mont Ventoux then at the start of July have a week's mountain biking in the Port du Soleil area. I've realised that Stenheim aren't far away so I might see if I can call in for a listen.

If anyone fancies a road or mountain bike ride in the Surrey Hills just South of London then feel free to give me a shout!

Reactions: DaveC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
""perceived comfort" "smaller contact patch" Sorry Ralph my crotch disagrees. if you want to debate, I I am always willing to ;learn more about cycling. if you please we can open a thread and clearly state our positions.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
""perceived comfort" "smaller contact patch" Sorry Ralph my crotch disagrees. if you want to debate, I I am always willing to ;learn more about cycling. if you please we can open a thread and clearly state our positions.
Is there a misunderstanding? If we are talking about the comfort a wider tire brings, one of the aspects of that is lower pressure. The less energy expended going up and down, the more that energy can be forward motion, with the side benefit that the ride is smoother too, despite also having a smaller contact patch on the road.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I'm thinking in the $750 range for an MBT.

I'm afraid to look what that amount would buy for just a partial drivetrain today. Used.

Moving on, I'm afraid to look what that amount would net for tires and a post.

P.S. I'd spend it on wheels and the cheapest supple tires that trend towards longevity. Then focus on figuring out where your bike fit could be improved. A cheap build with good wheels - that fits really well - means you can fix almost everything that gets whacked out of shape with a channel-locks pliers (branch) and small sledgehammer (rock). Coasting half of the time beats carrying a bike that can't roll at all. ;)

rando

Sep 22, 2019

If you're sitting on your balls. You're doing it wrong. ;)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wder tires cane faster than what? I have seen no evidence pf this in the pro peleton. Again, I am happy to review any videos. I will start my research.
Frame rigidity
When I started riding racing bikes frame flex was a real thing. When you stood hard on the pedals for climbing or sprinting, the bottom bracket would actually deflect. This was not really a problem for amateurs. For the pros where every second counts, they worried that the energy used to deflect BB was not being transferred to the road. This could be cured by a stronger frame with the resultant weight penalty. Low weight is crucial for mountain stages.
Enter Cannondale. Using aluminum tubing they had a solution. They used double butted oversized(thin the middle thick on the ends) tubing. Not only was it stronger it was lighter. Today this method is virtually universal today.
The Cannondale was rigid in the horizontal plane effectively eliminating BB flex. The downside was it was also rigid in the vertical plane. this transmitted up the seat post. I know because I rode Cannondale for over 15 years. This made the bike very uncomfortable. I like so many others dud not care. The bike was quick fast and handled like adream. Besides most of my weight was on the pedals trying to make the bike go faster.
Carbon Fiber
The rumors were floating. It required special skill to build, was expensive and fragile. A frame material that is rigid in the horizontal plane and compliant in the vertical plane. This allows for no bottom bracket flex and shock absorption. That it was for years I rode the Kestral Talon fitted with Continental 7000c x 23c Gatorskin tires. The lightest, fastest and most comfortable bike I have ever ridden.

new frame material that was rigid in the horizontal plane and compliant in the vertical p;ane. This meant no BB flex and the ability to absorb shock. It was all true,
I bought my Kestral Talon,fitted them Continental 700x23 Gatorskins. The rife eas smooth as butter with no BBfles. Light as a feather.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The claim that frames have nothing to do with ride comfort is easily defeated, which tire is faster is a more complicated issue
. On a road surface where speed is an absolute IMO with a bald tread and basically no tire spread, there is no beating a 700c x 23c tire inflated from 110-120 psi. Yes the pro peleton is going for fatter lower pressure tires Except for the most best riders they ride what the team issues. The team follows the manufacturers spec. and remember the sponsors goal is to develop a consumer product.
That said what I said initially stated is true. Narrower and higher inflated tires are faster. For most people fatter lower pressure tires are fast enough. The offer better traction and resistance to puncture. The good news is the market has a an excellent choice for whatever you4r needs and preferences are.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I got a new bike! 2022 Spec Stumpjumper Evo w/ Cascade link (increases both progression and travel of rear sus) and CCDB Air shock. I also picked up a We Are One wheelset, sold my previous DT Swiss wheelset with my '20 Enduro. Most other parts are from my '20 Enduro, which is a good bike bike but too narrowly focused, it's not much fun to ride on ordinary trails, you need to be fearing for your life to really appreciate it. The Stumpy Evo is almost as capable but far better suited to general trail bike duties vs the Enduro. I figured now was a good time as used bike prices are high and the Evo was actually available. I was waiting on another Transition frame but that got pushed out to late summer and I wanted to sell the Enduro now as there is a new model coming out later this year or early '23. Also, the current Enduro has some issues with it's complicated and heavy suspension design.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Wicked machine. Don't hurt yourself. Get a neon vest so they can find you in the weeds.lol

Reactions: DaveC

rando

Sep 22, 2019
S' last zebra print bike was legendary. Hope you find a matching jersey and shorts or pants. :p

Reactions: Bobvin and DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
S' last zebra print bike was legendary. Hope you find a matching jersey and shorts or pants. :p

There is a matching shirt, lol... but I'm not buying it!

• Haha
Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Makes way more sense it would be tie dye. That appears to be vibe pop culture is selling this year alright.

Fender has a distinct zebra chevron pattern mixed with lines that just end I cued in on.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

I had that suit with shorts in honor of Italian sprint champion Chippolini. My cycling buddies doubled over with laughter.
20220518_140945.jpg 20220518_140936.jpg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I had that suit with shorts in honor of Italian sprint champion Chippolini. My cycling buddies doubled over with laughter.

One needed a fair amount of clout their legs backed up to pull that one off. Not just faster than the pack, way better moves too.

Cannondale going to be a garage queen or something more akin to a training bike?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I use to be a hard core mountain biker. I would sit at the bottom of Big Basin highway in northern calif with my thumb out. Eventually a pickup would stop and we would throw our bikes and climb into the back for a 22 mile ride to the top. From there we would bike a few miles to the drop in. Then we had an hour plus of hardcore downhill riding. At the bottom i would climb into a local creek and scrub my body with mud to strip all the poison oak oil off my skin. I made the mistake of a hot shower. Hot water opens your pores and the oil gets in. Cold mountain water closes thr pores and the mud strips it off.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I was looking for a cross use bike in Seattle. My friends and doctors all said don't get one. In Seattle its not a matter of will a car hit you. Its how long until one does. We have a high rate of collision between bike and car here. Bikes act like its their road. They don't quite understand the driver of the car goes home that night shaken by the incident. The rider of the bike does not go home and may have lifelong reminders of the incident. Worse is the mothers and fathers on the commuter bikes with young kids on the front dominating major arterials. Just a couple weeks ago a mom and dad with 2 very young kids were all over a major arterial like the cars did not exist. I fear for their children.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
There was a time I had the quads for that suit.

I would trade the Cannondale for a 58cm Colnago Masterlight frame. Preferably blue.
Eveyone who sees the Canny wants it.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
There was a time I had the quads for that suit.

I would trade the Cannondale for a 58cm Colnago Masterlight frame. Preferably blue.
Eveyone who sees the Canny wants it.
I would love to get a Colnago one day! But, for now, my trusty Ben Serotta Ti with Durace continues to give me pleasure!

Attachments

• PXL_20220518_203635708_2.jpg
    PXL_20220518_203635708_2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
Reactions: Bobvin

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
The claim that frames have nothing to do with ride comfort is easily defeated, which tire is faster is a more complicated issue
. On a road surface where speed is an absolute IMO with a bald tread and basically no tire spread, there is no beating a 700c x 23c tire inflated from 110-120 psi. Yes the pro peleton is going for fatter lower pressure tires Except for the most best riders they ride what the team issues. The team follows the manufacturers spec. and remember the sponsors goal is to develop a consumer product.
That said what I said initially stated is true. Narrower and higher inflated tires are faster. For most people fatter lower pressure tires are fast enough. The offer better traction and resistance to puncture. The good news is the market has a an excellent choice for whatever you4r needs and preferences are.
https://www.renehersecycles.com/12-myths-in-cycling-1-wider-tires-are-slower/

I'm a bit heavier- typically 195-200 pounds. All muscle I assure you ;) I started on 23s but blew them out all the time, went to 25s and got snake bites about once a week rather than twice. On 28s I've yet to flat. But I've also timed myself and even though the 28s feel slower, when I timed them I found I was actually faster.

Bicycle traditions die really hard! So I'm not worried if I don't convince someone.

How whippy a frame is, is something different from ride quality, how rough a frame might be. You might want to look into the history of Bates, a British marquee. They figured out that the key to frame stiffness was not butting tubes at the ends, but butting them in the middle. They had Reynolds develop a proprietary frame tubing from their 531 alloy, called 'Cantiflex'. Not only did they make some of the lightest frames available at the time but they were also the stiffest. In fact so stiff that if you ran sewups, you needed some flex to help ride quality so they also produced their famous Diandrant fork. This had two bends in it rather than one and did help a bit. I can tell you (I own a Bates) that their claims are correct. My Bates, equipped with a Sturmey Archer 4 speed IGH weighs in no more than 20 pounds. Its easily the stiffest frame I own (in order of appearance, my Guerciotti is the whippiest, but in a good way- its got positive spring; the 1964 Paramount is stiffer and only slightly heavier; the Anderson using Reynolds 953 tubing is lighter than the Guerciotti and is even stiffer and finally the Bates is lightest and stiffest of all- using 531 tubing!). But I can tame it simply by putting 28mm tires on it, or by running the sewups at a really low pressure, although I run the risk of rim damage if I do.

Did you look at that TY video I posted, by cyclingabout?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing