Any cyclists here?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I thought I wanted to debate this issue . On further reflection I don't. I am way bigger than you. I rode a Continental 700x23 with no problems except when occasionally I made the flat gods angry. There is nothing whippy about the Kestral Talon or Cannondale. If so specifically prove either of ythose frames are whippy. If you think the Talon is whipp,y mine was hit by a car. Twice! No damage.
Besides please tell me why a whippy fram having more flex would be less comfortable.
The video i posted specifically found the narrower tires to be faster. Dyou look at it?
Strength is better in the middle., If that were
so my traffic light would have fallen on my head long long ago.

Last edited:

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
I thought I wanted to debate this issue . On further reflection I don't. I am way bigger than you. I rode a Continental 700x23 with no problems except when occasionally I made the flat gods angry. There is nothing whippy about the Krestral Talon or Cannondale. If so specifically prove either of ythose frames are whippy. If you think the Talon is whipp,y mine was hit by a car. Twice! No damage.
besides please tell me why a whippy fram having more flex would be less comfortable.

BStrength is better in the middle. 8f that were so my traffic light would have fallen on my head long long ago.
I don't know anything about that bike so can't comment! I also don't think how whippy a bike might be will have much to do with its comfort. IME that's the seatpost and the tires. My main ride these days is a Jones Plus Ti which uses 29+ tires (I'm running 2.6" wide tubeless) and I use a Thudbuster with it, since the bike has no suspension.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You can know about that bike is commercially available and easily researched
There are many ways to block the transmission of vibrations through a bike. But there is a penalty. Dont kid yourself. If forward speed is tour thing there is a path to follow.
By all means pick what works for you. For example Greg LeMoone a stretch limo, Lance Armstrong rode the smallest bike he could.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Maybe this is blasphemy but I have a Bowflex stationary bike now. I do 2 to 3 20 minutes rides a week. I always feel so much better after getting my heart rate up. And I sleep way better.

Reactions: Tim Link

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Maybe this is blasphemy but I have a Bowflex stationary bike now. I do 2 to 3 20 minutes rides a week. I always feel so much better after getting my heart rate up. And I sleep way better.

You might also consider a PM equipped rowing machine. Large amount of carryover with cycling and just a bit more upper body range of motion. Both are more enjoyable with a side course of core strength built through flexibility.

Food for thought.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You might also consider a PM equipped rowing machine. Large amount of carryover with cycling and just a bit more upper body range of motion. Both are more enjoyable with a side course of core strength built through flexibility.

Food for thought.
I have a water rower too. It can irritate my lower back. I also have a TRX. That has really helped my back. I can do very low squats where I am in essence disc distracting my lower back and sacrum. It has almost completely eliminated my IT band type irritation.

I have also had a couple rounds of PRP injected around the facets in my spine. As well as Ozonated blood injected into my back. (My blood mixed with vitamins and ozone injected back into my spine)
I also had a shot of Oxidative Nucleoplasty into disc L3. Ozone direct into the disc. I had 2 friends go under the knife and came out crippled. I got the shot and my issues has been resolved for 8 years now. No side affects. I don't understand why insurance will pay for a $60K spine surgery but not pay for a shot that cost me $5K out of pocket.

Not that any of this has anything to do with biking for enjoyment. I loved mountain biking and road biking because its just fun. And good for you too. Now I do it for the cardio and general fitness. I cant say I really enjoy sitting on a elliptical bike and spinning the wheel, But it works.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I have also had a couple rounds of PRP injected around the facets in my spine. As well as Ozonated blood injected into my back. (My blood mixed with vitamins and ozone injected back into my spine)
I also had a shot of Oxidative Nucleoplasty into disc L3. Ozone direct into the disc. I had 2 friends go under the knife and came out crippled. I got the shot and my issues has been resolved for 8 years now. No side affects. I don't understand why insurance will pay for a $60K spine surgery but not pay for a shot that cost me $5K out of pocket.

:oops:

I did notice in the video at Fremer's you looked reasonably fit. Hope the back stays healthy.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
:oops:

I did notice in the video at Fremer's you looked reasonably fit. Hope the back stays healthy.
I am very fit. But in 2009 I was trying to move a large boulder in my yard with all sorts of equipment. I stupidly put my back into is and felt multiple disc pop. I put me on the floor for over a year. I had such bad back pain I tried a puncture and extraction of nuclei material for the herniated disc. Don't do it. It helped for a short while, but the flattening of the disc is like a flat tire, it now bulged out all over and caused other leg issues.

Some years later I had a flare up where I could not stand for more than 30 seconds as it was fire all in my leg. That is when I tried the Ozone direct into the disc. This is the only method of herniated disc treatment I would ever recommend. It sort of firms the nuclei material and keeps it from bulging the disc so much.. I'm only a patient, not a doctor.

I also very much like PRP and ozone enriched blood treatments. I have never heard of a side affect since its your own body fluids. There is the chance a doctor could hit a nerve in the fluoroscope guided injections. That is the risk. Its very rare. Nothing like the multitudes of people that are crippled or have drop foot or no muscle activity from surgery where they try and clip off the bulging disc (which leaves a thin disc wall) or shaving the bone in the foraminal passage to make more room for the exiting nerve and cut the nerve in the process.

Now that I am 56, I am getting to a point I am in less pain than a lot of my friends who have lead a much more sedentary life than myself. Some of them are starting to work out. Other just complain about the pain.

An old Italian grandmother of my wife once said to us when she was 92, getting old is the hardest thing you will ever do. I get it now.

• Wow
Reactions: Atmasphere

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I wish you well.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I am very fit. But in 2009 I was trying to move a large boulder in my yard with all sorts of equipment. I stupidly put my back into is and felt multiple disc pop. I put me on the floor for over a year. I had such bad back pain I tried a puncture and extraction of nuclei material for the herniated disc. Don't do it. It helped for a short while, but the flattening of the disc is like a flat tire, it now bulged out all over and caused other leg issues.

Some years later I had a flare up where I could not stand for more than 30 seconds as it was fire all in my leg. That is when I tried the Ozone direct into the disc. This is the only method of herniated disc treatment I would ever recommend. It sort of firms the nuclei material and keeps it from bulging the disc so much.. I'm only a patient, not a doctor.

I also very much like PRP and ozone enriched blood treatments. I have never heard of a side affect since its your own body fluids. There is the chance a doctor could hit a nerve in the fluoroscope guided injections. That is the risk. Its very rare. Nothing like the multitudes of people that are crippled or have drop foot or no muscle activity from surgery where they try and clip off the bulging disc (which leaves a thin disc wall) or shaving the bone in the foraminal passage to make more room for the exiting nerve and cut the nerve in the process.

Now that I am 56, I am getting to a point I am in less pain than a lot of my friends who have lead a much more sedentary life than myself. Some of them are starting to work out. Other just complain about the pain.

An old Italian grandmother of my wife once said to us when she was 92, getting old is the hardest thing you will ever do. I get it now.
All in all, I see you're doing an excellent job with your health. Keep going!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I did a solo cycling trip of south sweden a month ago
A lot of of roads are gravel actually which is hard to see on google maps .
25 mm michelin race tyres slicks
I did about 200- 250 km on gravel i expexted a flat at any moment , but nothing , may be just pure luck or the fact that gravel cant attach itself easily to slicks
I m using them for a year now , never had a flat i have 6 bar in the tyres 20220425_110318.jpg 20220425_125943.jpg 20220425_102145.jpg

20220422_140031.jpg

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
What i also tried in the past month to lose a couple of pounds before cycling in the french alps is 3 spoons of apple cider vinegar a day.
Works really good.
Tastes like shit though

Last edited:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I don't know anything about that bike so can't comment! I also don't think how whippy a bike might be will have much to do with its comfort. IME that's the seatpost and the tires. My main ride these days is a Jones Plus Ti which uses 29+ tires (I'm running 2.6" wide tubeless) and I use a Thudbuster with it, since the bike has no suspension.
Another guy riding a Jones… excellent! Sadly my custom Cyfac Absolu hangs in the garage. The widest I can get on that is 25mm, and I also don’t bend into race bike positioning as I once did (I’m 64). So I ride my Jones. I ditched the Eagle group and went to Shimano di2. And I’m running Rene Herse (Compass tires) 29x44. The pic shows my Jones rims with 55mm tires. (I have another wheelset for the 44s) At around 20psi no need for suspension, plenty if comfort. And unless you are riding up at speeds where air resistance is becoming the primary factor (lets say above 18 mph) tire width isn’t a factor. somebody above linked to the Rene Herse site to advocate for wider is as fast as skinny given a supple tire, and I say if you like riding skinny and beating the hell out of yourself, go for it. if your frame will allow try a 32 and drop the pressure, see how much better your shoulders, hands, and neck feel after a long ride. Then check and you’ll notice no drop in time compared to your prior rides. But, supple tire is essential. A stiff sidewall wide tire will be slower.

D63B9922-B44A-4F3A-A67D-2A3A4C5C7F73.jpeg
9CFC7D07-8105-40EF-8299-94C7035F45CF.jpeg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
What i also tried in the past month to lose a couple of pounds before cycling in the french alps is 3 spoons of apple cider vinegar a day.
Works really good.
Tastes like shit though

In my personal experience such exceptionally strenuous trips place a large amount of stress on your internal organs. The same ones being touched in ways that provoke emergency survival responses resulting in slight weight loss. In other words, maybe it is less discriminate in what gets cleaned out than is ideal. To be clear I'm referring to steady undiluted dosages outside of mixed dietary consumption such as on a salad followed by meal and other fluids.

I did a solo cycling trip of south sweden a month ago
A lot of of roads are gravel actually which is hard to see on google maps .
25 mm michelin race tyres slicks
I did about 200- 250 km on gravel i expexted a flat at any moment , but nothing , may be just pure luck or the fact that gravel cant attach itself easily to slicks
I m using them for a year now , never had a flat i have 6 bar in the tyres

I would like to ask the model of Michelin 25c tires you have mounted?

Type of stone used is the largest determinant of how often you flat. Followed shortly by how it interacts with anything already imbedded in the tire. In the US we see a lot of construction graded gravel intended to survive heavy machinery without disintegrating or trenching. Local stone quarry output varies enough nationally you can ride awful sharp looking uneven surfaced roads without issue or ones that are smooth because any sharp edge fractured into millions of knife like splinters. :oops:

As a holdover of simply times. I still count riding around on rustic country roads at night without any lights as one of my favorite ways to spend a few hours. Nowadays I feel the disclaimer "where local wildlife and unspecified other hazards/skill level allow" is required lest some unwary lurker traipse off into peril.

Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
would like to ask the model of Michelin 25c tires you have mounted?
I ll post as soon im back from the audio show in munchen .
I also bought their latest new 25 mm tire model with supposedly faster rubber .
Unfortunately its also softer rubber and i was flat the first day on normal roads.

Nothing better then to see a country on a bicycle afaik especially with good weather.
I also follow a young dutch guy on you tube .
He has all kinds of adventures .
Its called : cycling around the planet

Reactions: rando

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Cycling Furces
There seems to be a basic ,isunderstanding of the role of tire width and pressure. Despite posting a video showing skinny tires inflated to high pressure are faster than fatter tires with lower pressure some are still uconviced. I concede that for the every ider these differences might be negligible. Other factors may prevail. Nevertheless, all things being equal a thinner tire inflated to a higher pressure will be faster than the fatter tir tire with lower pressure. AS the video above suggests, results were probably skewed by the tires operating out of their r pressure range.

Cycling Forces | Physical Cycling
Cycling-Forces.png

Reactions: Tim Link

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
@ rando i think it was the michelin pro 4 .

The one that i ran flat with is the newer model the michelin power road .

Both are foldables easy to replace

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
And unless you are riding up at speeds where air resistance is becoming the primary factor (lets say above 18 mph) tire width isn’t a factor. somebody above linked to the Rene Herse site to advocate for wider is as fast as skinny given a supple tire, and I say if you like riding skinny and beating the hell out of yourself, go for it.

It does bear notice that of the multiple times he has committed to writing his definitive article on tire speed it always involved a roll down test. Coasting down a hill.

Jan (owner) is no slouch where a paceline or reactive efforts are concerned. Lots of crashing and jumping mixes in with stream crossings and ascents to picturesque vistas. Even fixed gear skid tests/ebikes/cargo bikes/TT/etc. if it can happen on bike it did - went into final consideration of what he committed to producing. End of the day there is no escaping from the effects of certain mineral deposits or road chemicals/salt on sidewalls.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I also bought their latest new 25 mm tire model with supposedly faster rubber .
Unfortunately its also softer rubber and i was flat the first day on normal roads
rando i think it was the michelin pro 4 .

The one that i ran flat with is the newer model the michelin power road .

Exactly what I expected. PRO3 Endurance was the pinnacle. Good factory/materials/storage resulted in a tire just short of top tier racing capability with only minor concessions elsewhere.

EU/Asia experience with POWER could've been poor sample size full of complainers. They are not great in US conditions. So much so I got a stack of them from a larger camping supply store for the equivalent of €10 apiece.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing