Any cyclists here?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
But this a different case.
It is not about a discount but more about availability at all.
Sorry I thought it was poaching someones' territory

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I want a dropper post on the Trek FXS5 bike. Its Carbon with internal cables. They say you can not route internally, I don't see good supports to route an external cable. I was pondering and asking around. No one had good suggestions.

I went online to look and see how people are attaching cable externally. That lead to a lot of people repairing broken frames on a carbon bike. I then realized, this is no different than glassing work I have done on my fiberglass boat. I could very easily epoxy on a couple eyes in strategic spots to route a cable through. My plan is to start with some sticky back zip tie holders. These are small squares with double sided adhesive tape on them. They have a channel designed to accept a zip tie. Heck, if I used 30lb double sided tape, I wouldn't even need to epoxy. I will figure it out soon enough. So funny, I don't even have the bike and I'm already modifying it. I cant help myself.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
But this a different case.
It is not about a discount but more about availability at all.
For me its 100% about availability in this situation. The price is the same. If they could get me a bike in say 2 to 3 weeks, I would used my local store. They told me 4 months. I then went to Trek Direct stores. They told me 2 to 3 months. I have no issue going to a Trek Direct in Oregon. Its still a sale for Trek.
I wanted to purchase at my local shop but they don't have any inventory. I am very loyal to those that help me to find what suits my needs. I don't shop price. In this case, I want to have a bike in the summer when I have time to acclimate to it before the wet sets in.

You know the saying. You get 2 out of 3. Service, Time, Price. I place my purchase in that order.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I want a dropper post on the Trek FXS5 bike. Its Carbon with internal cables. They say you can not route internally, I don't see good supports to route an external cable. I was pondering and asking around. No one had good suggestions.

I went online to look and see how people are attaching cable externally. That lead to a lot of people repairing broken frames on a carbon bike. I then realized, this is no different than glassing work I have done on my fiberglass boat. I could very easily epoxy on a couple eyes in strategic spots to route a cable through. My plan is to start with some sticky back zip tie holders. These are small squares with double sided adhesive tape on them. They have a channel designed to accept a zip tie. Heck, if I used 30lb double sided tape, I wouldn't even need to epoxy. I will figure it out soon enough. So funny, I don't even have the bike and I'm already modifying it. I cant help myself.

Could you explain the use case for a dropper post on a carbon fiber fitness bike for riders who want the speed of a lightweight road bike with the comfort and control of a flat handlebar.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For me its 100% about availability in this situation. The price is the same. If they could get me a bike in say 2 to 3 weeks, I would used my local store. They told me 4 months. I then went to Trek Direct stores. They told me 2 to 3 months. I have no issue going to a Trek Direct in Oregon. Its still a sale for Trek.
I wanted to purchase at my local shop but they don't have any inventory. I am very loyal to those that help me to find what suits my needs. I don't shop price. In this case, I want to have a bike in the summer when I have time to acclimate to it before the wet sets in.

You know the saying. You get 2 out of 3. Service, Time, Price. I place my purchase in that order.
availability to you. but what is there motive? just curious.

Nakor

May 14, 2011

How about a Rockshox Reverb AXS? It's wireless, so no cable routing and also no modifications to the frame needed.

There are also cheaper droppers with a simple under the saddle lever like KS ETEN Lever, but you lose some of the benefits that come with the remote.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI

Trek frames have a lifetime warranty...If you start drilling holes and epoxy eyelets in the frame your warranty on the frame is probably history..

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
100 % sure and not only that its right out dangerous as you risk spontanious carbon failure while riding .

Trek gave me a brand new frame free of charge after the saddle dampening construction failed .
It was a higher spec frame , and i got it back fully rebuilt with my old parts from the trek dealer i bought it from

1656593008619.jpeg

1656593119093.jpeg

Reactions: trekpilot

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Trek frames have a lifetime warranty...If you start drilling holes and epoxy eyelets in the frame your warranty on the frame is probably history..

Suffice to say, external routing of cables in lieu of pre-existing hardware can be accomplished with near impossible to detect impact on frame finish or integrity. Cleanly, I might add.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Could you explain the use case for a dropper post on a carbon fiber fitness bike for riders who want the speed of a lightweight road bike with the comfort and control of a flat handlebar.
Do I also have to explain the rear rack with hooks to carry shopping bags.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Who ever said anything about drilling out a post. I never did.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
100 % sure and not only that its right out dangerous as you risk spontanious carbon failure while riding .

Trek gave me a brand new frame free of charge after the saddle dampening construction failed .
It was a higher spec frame , and i got it back fully rebuilt with my old parts from the trek dealer i bought it from

View attachment 95101

View attachment 95102
Your saying, using an adhesive sticky back to zip tie a cable sheath to a carbon frame is going to make it fail. It thats the case, I won't purchase a carbon frame. It sounds like poor technology at this time.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
What is with the spew of negativism . Is this the cycle crowd. Your gonna shoot your eye out. I'm sorry I brought up getting a bike. Never mind I mentioned it. Moving on now.

trekpilot

Apr 30, 2018
Germantown, WI
Who ever said anything about drilling out a post. I never did.
Sorry, my bad, I assumed you wanted to drill thru the frame to run the cable to the dropper post.
The FXS5 is a fun bike!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Your saying, using an adhesive sticky back to zip tie a cable sheath to a carbon frame is going to make it fail. It thats the case, I won't purchase a carbon frame. It sounds like poor technology at this time.

It all seems a misunderstanding then , so much for forums lol
But personally i wouldnt glue either , if u tear the zip tie off you might take some laquer with it

Reactions: PierreB

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Trek fuel EXe 9.8 XT incoming… expecting delivery late August early September just in time for our spring…

Trek fuel EXe 9.8xt pics

Frame: OCLV Mountain Carbon | 140mm
Fork: RockShox Lyrik Select+, DebonAir spring, Charger 2.1 RC damper | 150mm
Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT | 205mm x 60mm

Drive Unit: TQ HPR50 | 50nm
Battery: TQ 360Wh
Controller: TQ OLED display with Bluetooth & ANT+ connectivity

Bar/Stem Combo: Bontrager RSL OCLV Carbon, 27.5mm rise, 820mm width, 45mm stem length
Saddle: Bontrager Arvada, Austenite Rails
Seatpost: Bontrager Line Elite Dropper | 200mm

Wheels: Bontrager Line Elite 30, OCLV Mountain Carbon, Tubeless Ready
Tires: Bontrager SE5 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29×2.50?

XT DRIVETRAIN
Derailleur: Shimano XT M8100
Shifter: Shimano XT M8100
Crankset: E*thirteen E*spec Race Carbon, 34T | 165mm
Cassette: Shimano XT M8100 | 10-51, 12 speed
Chain: Shimano Ultegra/XT M8100
Brakes: Shimano XT M8120

Last edited:

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Trek fuel EXe 9.8 XT incoming… expecting delivery late August early September just in time for our spring…

Trek fuel EXe 9.8xt pics

Frame: OCLV Mountain Carbon | 140mm
Fork: RockShox Lyrik Select+, DebonAir spring, Charger 2.1 RC damper | 150mm
Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT | 205mm x 60mm

Drive Unit: TQ HPR50 | 50nm
Battery: TQ 360Wh
Controller: TQ OLED display with Bluetooth & ANT+ connectivity

Bar/Stem Combo: Bontrager RSL OCLV Carbon, 27.5mm rise, 820mm width, 45mm stem length
Saddle: Bontrager Arvada, Austenite Rails
Seatpost: Bontrager Line Elite Dropper | 200mm

Wheels: Bontrager Line Elite 30, OCLV Mountain Carbon, Tubeless Ready
Tires: Bontrager SE5 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29×2.50?

XT DRIVETRAIN
Derailleur: Shimano XT M8100
Shifter: Shimano XT M8100
Crankset: E*thirteen E*spec Race Carbon, 34T | 165mm
Cassette: Shimano XT M8100 | 10-51, 12 speed
Chain: Shimano Ultegra/XT M8100
Brakes: Shimano XT M8120
Looking at the same bike myself...

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I bought the Trek. I got the FX sport 5 in blue.
The drop post was an experience. I told the local guy what I wanted. He handed me the post, some cable and a thumb actuator. It took me all of 10 minutes to set it up. But the seat sagged, bounded, had all sorts of issue. I took it back and asked whats up. They said, owe you need a pump, so I purchase a shock pump. Does nothing. I leave the bike with them and they say it works right. I explain what I want and say, well if this is what a shock post is for a commuter style street bike they they need to go to the drawing board. My god, how flimsy is the construction they are using. My understanding of a hydraulic shock is they are rock solid. They move boulder on job sites. They hold my boat motor rigid when under power. Finally a guy with more brains says, this shock is for a mountain bike or E bike. Its made to be a sponge and take up vibrations. I want a rigid shock. So he hands me a different shock and says does this look ok. I say sure. He drops in in in 5 minutes and there you have it. A solid drop post on my bike. Couldn't be happier.

I find a drop post necessity on this bike. The bike is super fast. Its very stable. But it is a little forward. Maybe. I came from a mountain bike. Maybe street bikes are different. When I get on a steep hill or gravel, I want to lower the seat to get my weight back a little in case I have to make a quick move. I just feel a little over the top. On the flats its fine. Its sits upright like I like and

Reactions: DaveC

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing