Any cyclists here?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
For those still of the belief skinny tires are faster…

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...yeah what were we thinking? 20c? I may have had 18s. Pumped up to the limit. Sheesh. It was almost like riding wooden tires.

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023

At this level of fitness and age , nothing matters or makes a difference :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

The laws of physics dedicate shimmy are faster, That presumes t rolling resistance is the dominant issue. For example, in drag racing the front wheels resemble bicycle wheels. In a drag race cornering is not an issue. The rear tire massive because of the need for traction.
For a four corner criterium a tire needs low rolling resistance and traction to provide optimum performance.
Speed is defined as how fast you can cover the course.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
At this level of fitness and age , nothing matters or makes a difference :)
Yeah, at this age and fitness I’ll take a wide, supple tire at low pressure and not need a mouthguard to protect my teeth from being rattled out of my head. I’m gonna need ‘em teeth for that tasty tasty steak I’m having post-ride.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
The laws of physics dedicate shimmy are faster, That presumes t rolling resistance is the dominant issue. For example, in drag racing the front wheels resemble bicycle wheels. In a drag race cornering is not an issue. The rear tire massive because of the need for traction.
For a four corner criterium a tire needs low rolling resistance and traction to provide optimum performance.
Rolling resistance is but one factor in determining performance of the rider/bike system, and why skinny tires do not prove to be faster in real world. Else, pro riders would be still on 19mm tires.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rolling resistance is but one factor in determining performance of the rider/bike system, and why skinny tires do not prove to be faster in real world. Else, pro riders would be still on 19mm tires.
confirming hidh-pressure skinny tire are faster is fairly easy. I ride 23mm. Most anecdotal evidence i is wider tire provide no significant degradation in speed due to rolling resistance. However wider low-pressure tires do provide other significant advantages over a given course.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
confirming hidh-pressure skinny tire are faster is fairly easy. I ride 23mm. Most anecdotal evidence i is wider tire provide no significant degradation in speed due to rolling resistance. However wider low-pressure tires do provide other significant advantages over a given course.
Then the tests and results of the guys @ Rene Herse, and the two fellows in the video noted above, are to be dismissed? When you are faced with test results that disprove your hypothesis skinny tires are faster you ignore and only post about “confirming high pressure skinny is faster is easy“ but offer no test results to support your claim?

A rational mind, when subjected to evidence that disproves a prior belief, adjusts to accommodate the new information. Dogmatic belief does the opposite.

And the key point is that rolling resistance in and of itself is not determinative of on-road results.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Then the tests and results of the guys @ Rene Herse, and the two fellows in the video noted above, are to be dismissed? When you are faced with test results that disprove your hypothesis skinny tires are faster you ignore and only post about “confirming high pressure skinny is faster is easy“ but offer no test results to support your claim?

A rational mind, when subjected to evidence that disproves a prior belief, adjusts to accommodate the new information. Dogmatic belief does the opposite.

And the key point is that rolling resistance in and of itself is not determinative of on-road results.
My apology. Uou are tardy to this discussion. I have previously posted evidence from GNC and Rolling Resistance magazine as well as other amateurs. i have not ignored tests and field anecdotes. I concede the trend is toward lower pressure and wider tires.
As my signature line states, when the evidence changes, I change mt mind.

There are many factors in play beyond tires.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
kmh V. MPH
i am installing a new computer. I really don't need it. However, i think it might help. I have no trouble converting between the two with the smartphone.
The problem is perception. When it says toey traveled 200km at average speed of 30k]h I can convert that mph without too much difficulty. Where this presents a problem, I have nonidea what thar feels like. I have to convert it to mph. I have two bikes so I am going to convert one to kph. then I can get a feel for distances.

Reactions: Bobvin

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
When you run skinny ties, you have to have them pumped up enough so that bumps in the road don't cause pinch flats. The skinnier the harder.

The result is that the tire and the energy you put into the pedals is being used to lift your weight off the ground in addition to going forward. If feels 'fast' though. Its not.

With a wider tire you can run a lower pressure while avoiding pinch flats. The tire is more easily able to conform to the road surface so less energy is used to lift you and the bike up and more energy is available to propel you forward.

Tire width and tire pressure play an enormous role, but ultimately the wider tire can be faster, assuming no differences in the sidewall or tread (and not actually too wide...).

I go faster on the road with 28s than 23s, even faster with 32s over 28s. I've measured my time on known courses and its pretty obvious, although it feels like the skinny tires are faster (because of the rougher ride quality), but they aren't.

If you are on a track then the skinny tires are faster because there are no bumps. That's the part you're leaving out with the 'laws of physics'.

On the Tour Divide (the hardest bike race in the world) the first FKT was set with 2.1" wide tires. 2.3" (29" instead of 26" as well) is now considered the sweet spot; you have to pay attention to tire pressure as well, and any tire you use on it is a compromise due to the various surfaces and conditions over 2700 miles.

If the conditions are wet, muddy or snowy enough you might not be going anywhere with skinny tires. So any discussion about what tire width is faster must take in the conditions in which that tire is used. For the recent Iditerod Invitational 1000 you need a fat tire...

Reactions: Bobvin

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Ralph, I think we have lreadt debated all these issues buf one. If perceived speed is yielding unreliable results, there is an easy solution. A speedometer and power meter. A Go-Pro can be used to monitor your body mechanics.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Ralph, I think we have lreadt debated all these issues buf one. If perceived speed is yielding unreliable results, there is an easy solution. A speedometer and power meter. A Go-Pro can be used to monitor your body mechanics.
Exactly. I use a Wahoo Roam.

I weigh far too much to run 23's or 25's; for me the 28s are faster because I don't have to stop to repair pinch flats :) I forgot to mention in my last post that weight has a lot to do with it. If I didn't have any body fat I could probably run a size narrower... or I could run a lower tire pressure for the same efficiency.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Consistent with current trends I run 23 mm 60-80 psi Continental Gatorskin. I weigh 210ibs.i had a visit from the flat gods last spring. They got bored and went away. I have my eye on some Vittoria tires. Maybe I will go wild to 25mm.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Consistent with current trends I run 23 mm 60-80 psi Continental Gatorskin. I weigh 210ibs.i had a visit from the flat gods last spring. They got bored and went away. I have my eye on some Vittoria tires. Maybe I will go wild to 25mm.
The other bit to keep in mind has nothing to do with physics, but what happens over time when you're more comfortable. That's very important when doing an ultra endurance event like the Tour Divide or Silk Road race, but it makes a difference too if you're only on the bike for a few hours. Essentially its a way to improve your endurance.

Reactions: trekpilot

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing