Any cyclists here?

No it flexes slightly but not much , it probably is indeed slightly heavier
I have driven normal carbon frames / TREK back to back for a very long time and i prefer the TREK .
When all things are taken care off ( tire pressure fast wheels) the TREK is a comfy /precision steering / rocket .
And it needs to be those electric bikes go fast these days :cool:

Its more a resonance thing , its well damped vs steel or Ally .. Whenever i ride my vintage steel bikes its pretty obvious ...

No it flexes slightly but not much , it probably is indeed slightly heavier
I have driven normal carbon frames / TREK back to back for a very long time and i prefer the TREK .
When all things are taken care off ( tire pressure fast wheels) the TREK is a comfy /precision steering / rocket .
And it needs to be those electric bikes go fast these days :cool:

With due respects paid towards how often multiple decades out of touch blends with very new and very exciting on WBF.

Endurance road racing (full carbon frame/fork) sector has been active for a good decade or more. In very blunt terms, exclusive contracts expiring and retooling have greatly impacted carbon bike ride qualities to the positive. A clearer example could not be found than rapidity old curmudgeons abandoned their incredibly heavy vintage cross country trekking equipment for modern carbon everything.

Cobbles won't get anything but smiles from me. If this bike gets a regular diet of them it will be interesting to hear your impressions in a few years after the cyclical reforming and strengthening carbon undergoes during flexing has all but completed. Atypically good on day one is not always depictive of a linear, lifelong, set of characteristics. There is a strong tendency to produce bikes in the fashion of pre-worn Turkish rugs for Western consumers. When the absolute best comes about through something less common that required being danced on every day for many years before coming into true form.

Congratulations on the new bike and safe happy riding. :)

This weekend I did a 100 mile ride on my gravel bike, my only century this year. My buddy noticed my rear wheel was looking out of true. I checked it when I got home and found that the rim had many cracks and spokes starting to pull through. Darn it! Craigslist came to the rescue. I found a workable set of fully compatible wheels for $75.00! They even came with a good set of disc rotors installed!

While I'm thinking about endurance cycling. Trend towards certain alloy layups that require very high spoke tension is awful. The sudden influx of interest in cycling among the affluent, and youth pretending to be, was directly at fault. No absolute or direct statement is fully possible, but designs around looser spokes have yet to be surmounted with finality.

I have a hunch your CL find is going to be much better balanced with a much less exciting longer lifespan. Also congrats on your new old stock bike made in a peak time for these fitness bikes.

Last edited:
Its more a resonance thing , its well damped vs steel or Ally .. Whenever i ride my vintage steel bikes its pretty obvious ...

Correct, resonance. Shop off the rack and you'd get put on the rack was very true. Marketing hogwash about technology is usually worth less than actual hogwash.

Very similar to stiffness that was only greatly improved upon when an Italian and American custom frame maker jointly demanded more of their steel tubing supplier at a time alloys sufficient to this demand were being made available to that level of manufacturing.

...a very trick bike, Tim.
I'm stoked about it! I've taken it on some medium distance rides with moderate hills, like 40 miles with 2500 feet of climbing. I have to work a little harder, but it keeps a smile on my face. It's very comfortable yet super solid feeling. This frame and fork ain't whippy.
While I'm thinking about endurance cycling. Trend towards certain alloy layups that require very high spoke tension is awful. The sudden influx of interest in cycling among the affluent, and youth pretending to be, was directly at fault. No absolute or direct statement is fully possible, but designs around looser spokes have yet to be surmounted with finality.

I have a hunch your CL find is going to be much better balanced with a much less exciting longer lifespan. Also congrats on your new old stock bike made in a peak time for these fitness bikes.
I read that a brittle alloy was a problem with those particular rims I had. I admit I was not attending to the spoke tension much, unaware that it would be such an issue. The CL finds are the same brand, WTB. Hopefully these last longer. Today I went back to the same seller and picked up a set of 700c wheels with DT Swiss rims that will fit on the same bike, which came with 650b. I've been meaning to try this for a while. My pure road bike is a 2000 era steel Viner with super tight clearances, so 23mm is the biggest tire that will fit! I love that bike, but the tire limitation is a bummer Now my gravel bike can be equipped for long road days. The wheels came with some 700 x 30 tires. I think I can fit up to 35 on that frame.

...are you retro steel honchos treating those frames in any way? Just curious. I have NOT but really should treat the '82 Masi. I used to treat my '93-ish Breezer.

...different branch of the tree, but have you guys seen this new-ish Surly Moonlander? Mama-mia! So temping for snow escapades. I have a Gen1 Pugsley for snow but this Moonlander will do 2lbs. of pressure even for a lard-ass like me.

Clearance for 24 x 6.2” tires, as well as 26 x 5.1”, 27.5 x 4.8”, and 29 x 3”

...are you retro steel honchos treating those frames in any way? Just curious. I have NOT but really should treat the '82 Masi. I used to treat my '93-ish Breezer.
I've never treated any of my frames other than to give them good dry storage. My 1935 Raleigh Sports roadster still rides fine. 35RaleighRestored.jpg

I finally traded it in for a Trek FX Sport 6 fitness bike. The best part of the trade-in process at the bike shop was the respect and affection that the shop staff had for the Seven - I'm pretty sure that everyone came over to pay homage to it and most took it out for a spin. I'm hoping that the Trek FX does for me what the Seven did...take care of my body and allow me to keep going for a few more years, while still producing that dreamlike feeling of flight I've only ever experienced on a bike or on skis.
I've been riding a Trek FX 2 for about 5 years as a commuter bike. The frame broke a few weeks ago, which led me to purchase the Breezer. But Trek warrantied the frame and provided me with a whole new bike! So now I have two commuters and I think that's good. It's nice to have a backup, and some variety in the ride. The Trek had about 20,000 miles on it when it finally failed. Many of those miles included carrying a bag of groceries in one pannier. Frequently it got pedaled over steep hills just because I wanted some extra workout. The new frame looks improved in the area that the old one broke - the right rear dropout.

Yes. It's effortless; a genuine pleasure to ride.

This weekend I rode it an a gravity race, which involves a slight downhill with no pedaling, then coast as far as you can. It won with ease. …

I put on some of the Rene Hurse tyres, and use their pressure calculator, which seem to give a low rolling resistance.
But your tubulars probably are a wise choice compared to other options.

I dread getting a flat with them!
With what? Your sewups?

It seems worse to consider sewups for something set up for longer rides.
Especially a commuter bike.
I recall in the past having flats at night in the cold, and it was not a great deal of fun to deal with.

The old fellows I ride with tell me that I should get skinnier tyres and pump them up more. But my bike actually seems to out roll theirs.

Reactions: Atmasphere
...I have one bike with sew-ups left: '82 Masi with Campy Record. I take it out occasionally for a charity ride or a "good roads" ride with friends. And I carry a can of compressed air with sealant in it. If I flat, I'll de-breed the tire and fill 'er up! Nothing could get me to mess with a glued-spare on the road again.

Reactions: Tim Link

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu