Any cyclists here?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Glad you are happy.
You can easily get a manual or automatic drop post post.
Maybe someone else can suggest a combo shock/ drop post.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I find a drop post necessity on this bike. The bike is super fast. Its very stable. But it is a little forward. Maybe. I came from a mountain bike. Maybe street bikes are different. When I get on a steep hill or gravel, I want to lower the seat to get my weight back a little in case I have to make a quick move. I just feel a little over the top. On the flats its fine. Its sits upright like I like and

Modern geometry feels crazy at first. I commend your choice to go for a post that works better instead of the considerably more dangerous faster backwards stem arrangement.

Stay safe out there.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I don't want a shock post. I just want a drop. It's perfect now. Exactly what I wanted.

My god this bike is fast. Or maybe I am old. I took it to the grocery store today. There is a very steep hill as I leave my house. I felt the need to hold the break. I bet it would jump right up to 50 mph. I dropped the seat to sit back and feel more grounded.

The hill killed me on the way home. I took a cut that is 20% of the total very steep, then a slow incline. I had to stand and pump it up the steep part.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
Pegoretti
That may be the most tranquillo Pegoretti paint job I have ever seen. Very, very nice. The head-tube is interesting, very tall; may I ask what size the frame is? Fun to ride a good steel bike, isn't it?

I have a fully restored '81 Masi with full period-correct C-record. I usually only ride it on charity events, because sew-ups are kind of a drag day-in/day-out.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
That may be the most tranquillo Pegoretti paint job I have ever seen. Very, very nice. The head-tube is interesting, very tall; may I ask what size the frame is? Fun to ride a good steel bike, isn't it?

I have a fully restored '81 Masi with full period-correct C-record. I usually only ride it on charity events, because sew-ups are kind of a drag day-in/day-out.
It’s called “panels”….and yes, it is a more sedate example of Pegoretti’s work. Each paint job is custom but follows a design style.
The frame is a 59 and I am 6’3”

I do have a couple other Pegoretti bikes that I don’t ride (received one as a gift and bought the other for sentimental reasons after Mr. Pegoretti passed)
I’ll ad some pictures of those as they are less sedate.

I would love to see some pictures of your Masi…I bet it is a beauty!!

I agree, that there is nothing like the feel of a nice Steel or Titanium bike.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019

Here is one of the other Pegoretti I have….the paint job was inspired by when Mr. Pegoretti was diagnosed with cancer some number of years ago and he described it as feeling like he had spiders in his body. This is how that feeling manifested itself in the paint job you see on this bike
I have another but realize I don’t have a picture on my phone so will post in the future
8B5B2DF3-0F58-48A5-9154-BAAA537FF619.jpeg

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
I'll try to round up some pics. I almost bought a Pegoretti frame in a NYC shop, just to hang on my shop wall, but not building it up would be criminal.

I have a beautiful Colnago C60, full C-Record that is begging for a ride. I had a digger on my mtb in late May that began a cascade of events which will end in a knee replacement in about six weeks.

Sweetie sez I'm too old to mountain bike. I told her I'm just too old to crash. I've been riding mtb since '87 or '88 so old habits die hard.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
I'll try to round up some pics. I almost bought a Pegoretti frame in a NYC shop, just to hang on my shop wall, but not building it up would be criminal.

I have a beautiful Colnago C60, full C-Record that is begging for a ride. I had a digger on my mtb in late May that began a cascade of events which will end in a knee replacement in about six weeks.

Sweetie sez I'm too old to mountain bike. I told her I'm just too old to crash. I've been riding mtb since '87 or '88 so old habits die hard.
I’m strictly road with a tiny bit of gravel, didn’t start riding seriously until later in life so never caught the bug, or developed the skills, to ride MTB without inordinate risk to life and limb
Yes, that C-60 deserves a life!
It is tempting to see some of these bikes as art!

gajgmusic

Apr 9, 2013
Interesting - I have an old Serotta - built for me a long time ago (16 years). I am still very fond of it, but my newer bike is an Open Up, it is remarkable and by far my favorite. I do ride 38 tubeless so only 40 psi, but it is astounding on the modest roads we have where I live.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
Interesting - I have an old Serotta - built for me a long time ago (16 years). I am still very fond of it, but my newer bike is an Open Up, it is remarkable and by far my favorite. I do ride 38 tubeless so only 40 psi, but it is astounding on the modest roads we have where I live.
I am familiar with the Open U.P.P.E.R as a cycling friend who is near my size has loaned me the bike for a few gravel rides. It is a remarkable bike in its flexibility, comfort and performance. I also think it is a very nice looking bike with a lot of style. His is a “Rapha” colorway A bike I’m sure I could love!
With the Baum, it is the only bike I have that I made decisions about everything related to the construction and build so I am emotionally attached as well as it being an excellent piece of craftsmanship and performance. It is a way better bike than I can do justice to for sure but I have spent so many miles and hours on it that it’s like an old friend. I would say, I ride it 60% of the time and almost anytime I’m going for any ride over 3 hours.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Trek fuel EXe 9.8 XT incoming… expecting delivery late August early September just in time for our spring…

Trek fuel EXe 9.8xt pics

Frame: OCLV Mountain Carbon | 140mm
Fork: RockShox Lyrik Select+, DebonAir spring, Charger 2.1 RC damper | 150mm
Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT | 205mm x 60mm

Drive Unit: TQ HPR50 | 50nm
Battery: TQ 360Wh
Controller: TQ OLED display with Bluetooth & ANT+ connectivity

Bar/Stem Combo: Bontrager RSL OCLV Carbon, 27.5mm rise, 820mm width, 45mm stem length
Saddle: Bontrager Arvada, Austenite Rails
Seatpost: Bontrager Line Elite Dropper | 200mm

Wheels: Bontrager Line Elite 30, OCLV Mountain Carbon, Tubeless Ready
Tires: Bontrager SE5 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Core Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29×2.50?

XT DRIVETRAIN
Derailleur: Shimano XT M8100
Shifter: Shimano XT M8100
Crankset: E*thirteen E*spec Race Carbon, 34T | 165mm
Cassette: Shimano XT M8100 | 10-51, 12 speed
Chain: Shimano Ultegra/XT M8100
Brakes: Shimano XT M8120

Nice choice! Very capable and very light for what it is, would still be fun to ride even if the battery died. Transition just came out with a bike that can be used with or without the battery. I'm tempted but holding out on buying an emtb, I have 2 top end mt bikes already, also hoping battery tech will improve. I still love my Spec Turbo Vado commuter ebike, it has something like 710 wh and 90 nm, it's fast and makes running errands fun.

Pics I took recently along South St Vrain trail near Ward, CO:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Nice choice! Very capable and very light for what it is, would still be fun to ride even if the battery died. Transition just came out with a bike that can be used with or without the battery. I'm tempted but holding out on buying an emtb, I have 2 top end mt bikes already, also hoping battery tech will improve. I still love my Spec Turbo Vado commuter ebike, it has something like 710 wh and 90 nm, it's fast and makes running errands fun.

Pics I took recently along South St Vrain trail near Ward, CO:

I nearly went for an emtb 18 months back but supply problems during the early pandemic ruled that out. But glad it did because the engine tech has improved to the point with this one where it’s virtually silent so it feels just such a way more natural ride. I was sold on the very first outing… the assist just has you feeling like you’re fitter in yourself… it’s light and responsive and just a lot of fun. I’ll also use it around town to get down to the beach.

Glide3

Nov 25, 2019
Hi Ralph,
Yes, Columbus XCR stainless steel for the Pegoretti

Also, the model I have is called “Responsorium” and this has a Falz carbon fork so this adds a bit to the comfort as well as the Fizik seatpost, stem and bars.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing