Anyone with big, high current amplifier(s) find a power conditioner that doesn't destroy the amplifier's virtues? Is it even possible? Which Ones?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Do you guys plug your amps in the Torus. A friend just got a Stromtank. He was told not to put his Dagostino M400 amps through it. Amps direct to wall. All front end gear through the Stromtank.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, we plug our Gryphon Mephisto into the Torus AVR16. However, I should note that we did NOT do this until AFTER emailing and speaking directly with the designers of BOTH Gryphon and Torus with the specs of each piece of equipment. Both confirmed they were happy for us to try, and we did.

Reactions: sujay and timztunz

Forte

Feb 16, 2017
Yes, we plug our Gryphon Mephisto into the Torus AVR16. However, I should note that we did NOT do this until AFTER emailing and speaking directly with the designers of BOTH Gryphon and Torus with the specs of each piece of equipment. Both confirmed they were happy for us to try, and we did.
Can you share your opinions (+/-) of having the Mephisto plugged into the Torus?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Can you share your opinions (+/-) of having the Mephisto plugged into the Torus?
HI Forte,

Happy to share my own personal experiences with the obvious caveat that our main power supply of course is probably different from that of others here. So a few things:

1. We do have the system on a separate circuit with dedicated Furutech outlets. We tried to put some basic infrastructure with a Uninterrupted Power Supply as well (mainly to protect the system if the power suddenly goes out...the system won't 'BOOM' when the power suddenly cuts out). The power did go out, and the system did not even blink...kept playing, and it allowed us plenty of time power down...the UPS actually could have gone another couple of hours apparently.

So it should not have been a big deal to add the Torus. In fact, I did it mainly because I liked the protective circuitry in case of power surge or other things long-term...and felt a small improvement would be no bad thing either.

2. That said, when we put the Mephisto into the Torus, we got (of all things) a surprisingly MUCH cleaner upper bass...completely unexpected. Overall, the presentation tonally had no changes, but it did seem to present a meaningfully more detailed, crisper upper bass. And this 'clean up' gave the whole presentation a cleaner more realistic appeal. Across the rest of the spectrum, it did SEEM like the whole presentation was overall more natural, more effortless. But the main change was the upper bass where frankly, was shocked there was that much in the upper bass to improve with such a 'simple' change.

3. We do not play at loud volumes...though we DO watch action flicks at pretty high volume. So we have not tested the system to its limits...but again, the manufacturers have assured us that this setup should be fine from a technical perspective. We have certainly witnessed NO limits on macro-dynamics.

Hope that helps.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
the only AC power conditioner that doesn't kill the sound or diminish the energy of amplifiers is Synergistic Research new UEF line. especially the bigger models. on the contrary they improve energy/dynamics of amplifiers like a super-capacitor.
Torus is also fine but I only listen to the big ones and very expensive.
Stromtang is ok. again I only listened to the biggest model and it's very expensive.
Audio Consulting isolation transformer is incredibly good if you connect it's input to two phases of tri-phase power line and it's output to Synergistic Research power conditioner.
from my point of view the best and the most economic option is using a Synergistic Research PC 12 UEF SE power conditioner.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
the only AC power conditioner that doesn't kill the sound or diminish the energy of amplifiers is Synergistic Research new UEF line..

By "The Only" I assume you mean only the SR out of the ones you actually tried.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Try Addpower Symphony and Electraclear. They are parallel devices. Not a filter. Dynamics with no glare or stridency. Its just faster and sounds more real. Only about a $450 Investment.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
Furman Reference 20i, use the high current outputs, and you are done. Drove my 400-watt McIntosh amp with no problems in fact it sounds. Stay away from balanced designs they work OK for front end gear, but for all the ones I've tried they thin the sound out, and some gear does not like a balanced current. If anything you could go with a PS Audio regenerator, I used P-10 would be a great option, but for amps, I still get a Furman.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
Furman Reference 20i drive my 400-watt amp with no issues at all, in fact, it sounds more dynamic with a bottom end pop that I never expected. The power cord on the Furman was key, so a good high gauge power cord, like the 7 gage Pangea 9SE Mkii worked fine the Furman did the rest. I would imagine the Niagra 7000 which is designed by the same man who designed the Furman would work also, in fact, both units weigh the same. Others I tried were a BIG no go, one was a big name one with sales hype, and one you see for sale all the time on Gon.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
Furman Reference 20i, use the high current outputs, and you are done. Drove my 400-watt McIntosh amp with no problems in fact it sounds. Stay away from balanced designs they work OK for front end gear, but for all the ones I've tried they thin the sound out, and some gear does not like a balanced current. If anything you could go with a PS Audio regenerator, I used P-10 would be a great option, but for amps, I still get a Furman.

I don't quite understand this statement as the Furman is a balanced power device.

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I don't quite understand this statement as the Furman is a balanced power device.
The High Current outlets are Linear Conditioning. The others are semantically balanced for low-level gear from streamer and anything else that does not have a need for high current voltage needs, this totally isolates the amps needs from effecting low-level gear, each of those banks is totally isolated from the other. The unit has a huge Isolated transformer and weighs a ton.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I learned something in a wholesale - retail parts business a long time ago...never be constricted at the trunk of your connection that customers access your business. You might think your system is adequate but....
I think it's the same with high powered amplifiers. Your electrician may say 12 AWG is fine,but in my experience it is a waste of money. I use 10 AWG and for my new sub panel the feeder from the main panel is 2 AWG and everything is copper. I got my ass chewed by two different electricians...ROI blah,blah....the labor is the same,and it's my system. FWIW

Reactions: rugyboogie

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
shunyata everest mate! it doesnt limit the amps

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
shunyata everest mate! it doesnt limit the amps
Did you get the Ypsilon SET 100 Monos in as per your signature block? How are they?

plasmod3

Aug 28, 2020
i got the hyperions atm and they are sweet as:) set100s arriving in jan and i was told they are going to be a delight - looking forward to it Lloyd:)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic! Be very interested to hear what you think of them...have heard the mighty SET100s before but not in a system I knew well.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Last edited:

AdamZ

Mar 23, 2017
Germanny
Hello Guys.
I allways try to keep it simple. And sometimes it works good. ;)
So i seperate the power amp from the rest of the system.
CDP, Preamp, DAC get the power from Mains independent power supply. This is the one i use.

https://www.cyberport.de/?DEEP=6G01-53S&APID=21&msclkid=2c5c2509991c142b8814454ec9a98bca

Poweramp KRELL KSA-200S pluged to the wall. Thats it.
First try this solution for roud 100 Bucks.
After this you MAYBE choose another expensive solution.
In my case it whas fine.
Adam

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing