Audionet Heisenberg's

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
What is the rational behind this recommendation ?

to my experience Heisenbergs likes high current capable output stages in Preamplifiers, from my understanding, Aries Cerat has high gain, high voltage approach for sources and preamps?
Hello
Apologies for intrusion,just some info.
The max current out depends on model and version.Some of our low gain preamp versions can output about 0.2A peak,so they don't quite fit the general rule of tube preamps(usually couple/few mA.
Please proceed
Regards, Stavros

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Hi Kris
I thought direct DAC to amplifier is a very good solution. I did that with 2 previous systems, VITUS/VITUS then BRICASTI/TENOR and finally WEISS/TENOR. Then I compared with real build in preamp, better dynamics for sure from WEISS/HUMBOLDT and then MTS-8/HUMBOLDT.
I will test with the very good analog output of the DAC Player Playback MPS-8 directly to my amplifier. But I think sound will be more dynamic with build in preamplifier. No cable between preamp and amplifier, no other power cord, no interaction. Build in preamplifiers are not yet common, but they seem the very best in details retrieval, ambiant cues, speed. Impedance matching, zero cable, but more gain...just the best

Reactions: Kris

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
I have Stern / Heisenbergs coming this month! Can not wait! I am also upgrading my Elation cables to Realization.
(Hey if the wife gets a new kitchen...) I am interested in what upgraded feet people may be using under these heavy
components. I currently have IsoAcoustics Oreas under my Max amps and Townshend springs under my PreG2.1
The Stern will go in my Timbernation Maple Rack, and the Heisenbergs on Timbernation solid Maple platforms.
Thanks, Ken

Reactions: gentcan

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I have had a pair of Audionet Heisenberg’s for several months now. And now feel they are fully broken in and I have a handle on their sound. I have been comparing them to one of the best amplifiers I have ever heard and owned, the Gryphon Mephisto Stereo which I have had since December of 2020, using it for demonstration and personal listening. I will definitely be sad when it goes up on Audiogon for sale(soon).

Audionet Heisenberg’s;
These amps have a super low noise floor, are open, spacious, dynamic and easy to listen to for long periods of time and with any music. I grew up listening to and seeing live, the Cars, Boston, Queen, ACDC and many bands of that time period. Also at a young age I remember my Mom playing Elvis, Willie Nelson, Tom Jones and the Beatles, so I have a wide range of musical tastes. And while many of these songs and albums were not recorded well, these amplifiers play this familiar music in a way that absolutely thrills me every time I listen.

Gryphon Mephisto Stereo;
It has a strong, prominent bass. This is one of the attributes that defines this amplifier, IMO, from bottom to top. I have had customers really love this aspect of its performance. This gives the Mephisto an overall darker more intimate tonal character and I find instruments slightly less precise and the soundstage a bit flatter then with the Heisenberg’s.

Please understand that the comments above are mine and I encourage anyone who can, to hear these amps. It really is just a Chocolate vs Strawberry sound, a matter of taste

FYI, I am no longer a Gryphon dealer as Gryphon changed their distributer and chose not to keep me on, because I am a home-based dealer and not a brick and mortar store.

View attachment 92111
Hi Ken

I told many times in this forum that I do not believe that wood is the best as platform. The only virtue is that wood is a non homogeneous material so it has no huge vibration mode (i.e. quite self damp). Platforms are accessories that permits 3 things for amplifiers :
1. make a rigid plane to prevent vibrations transmitted to the amplifiers. This require very high impedance that only metal can get. Wood and plastic are not rigid enough. Compact stones like marble or granit are rigid but have strong modes. Metal is much more easily dampened, some brands use polymer, but from my side I prefer 2 metal structure that give a very high impedance and also a self vibration cancellation.
2. Put some air under the amplifier to help cooling (especially tubes)
3. Drain vibration from the amplifier. AUDIONET Heinsenberg and Humboldt have metal triangular feet from the subchassis. Interface between HEISENBERG and the platform improve vibration transfert. I had Humboldt in the past.
Some manufacturers advise to isolate amplifier from platform, but it's really interesting in case of tubes amplifiers that have not a very rigid chassis (same for some preamp and DACs with ordinary thin steel enclosures).

KR
Philippe

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
What isolation were you using below the humboldt?
Hi

I used HARMONIX RS-1502M I had on hand at this time. These are no longer available as new, save some "old" stock in shops. These are not the best for this application they are better under... planar ribbon speakers as they were designed to this particular use. RS-1502M improved dynamics and they definitely give more natural highs, less bright and with more openness. My recommendation is REI-168 cones + RF-999Z bases, this will be better than RS-1502M, more definition, details and also more thereness without forward or laid back presentation. REI-168 cones + RF-999Z bases will be used under my new amplifiers, and they I will sit the amplifiers with REI-168 cones + RF-999Z bases on Convergence® platforms in February.
KR
Philippe
Pictures: RS-1502M (round tips) / REI_168 cones / RF-999Z bases

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2022-12-06 à 08.18.04.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-12-06 à 08.18.04.png
    320.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture d’écran 2022-12-06 à 08.18.39.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-12-06 à 08.18.39.png
    239.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture d’écran 2022-12-06 à 08.19.16.png
    Capture d’écran 2022-12-06 à 08.19.16.png
    291.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Reactions: _Alchemist_

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi

I used HARMONIX RS-1502M I had on hand at this time. These are no longer available as new, save some "old" stock in shops. These are not the best for this application they are better under... planar ribbon speakers as they were designed to this particular use. RS-1502M improved dynamics and they definitely give more natural highs, less bright and with more openness. My recommendation is REI-168 cones + RF-999Z bases, this will be better than RS-1502M, more definition, details and also more thereness without forward or laid back presentation. REI-168 cones + RF-999Z bases will be used under my new amplifiers, and they I will sit the amplifiers with REI-168 cones + RF-999Z bases on Convergence® platforms in February.
KR
Philippe
Pictures: RS-1502M (round tips) / REI_168 cones / RF-999Z bases
Thanks Philippe!
I didn't know these products!

Reactions: PhP

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
Thanks Philippe!
I didn't know these products!
I used many draining / isolation products over the past 40 years. HARMONIX are the best, but only the top of lines. 15 years ago I used Goldmund cones or Walker Cones. The only product I will try next year for some application is PRANAWIRE DanTien feet. A 2 stage system with balls but different materials. Could be interesting under digital transports.

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
I used many draining / isolation products over the past 40 years. HARMONIX are the best, but only the top of lines. 15 years ago I used Goldmund cones or Walker Cones. The only product I will try next year for some application is PRANAWIRE DanTien feet. A 2 stage system with balls but different materials. Could be interesting under digital transports.
The Hifistay products also look interesting and well made

PhP

Industry Expert
Nov 12, 2012
FRANCE
www.phpaudio.fr
I did not know them, so I look at their feet system, they are very strange (ie non scientist approach). 1 has a kind of damper ? another one has springs? the last one has a lot of balls..? Damping is isolation not good at all for amplifiers, especially very rigid enclosures. Springs are for turntables. Balls concept is the smallest contact the better. The old FIM 305 was cheap and very well made in that sense, with fine materials. I should say that I sell Harmonix because they really work and probably Pranawire DanTien. Very few feet are seriously engineered. I was professor in mechanical vibrations some years ago in a University .
That's why you can see very good feet on a hand of products, Nagra analog turntable, Goldmund turntable and top of line digital transport... Vecteur analog turntable 35 years ago.

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
I use Hifistay under my speakers and have been v impressed both with what they do and their build quality. I've yet to investigate what in their range would work under Heisenbergs.

Reactions: ICUToo

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Kris, I can't speak to the performance of the Humboldt as I have not heard it, but the Heisenberg's are simply the best amps I have ever heard.
Can you give us the list of amplifier you compare with the Heisenberg, please?
Model and brand, please?
I am very curious.

Reactions: ctydwn

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Can you give us the list of amplifier you compare with the Heisenberg, please?
Model and brand, please?
I am very curious.
I did a direct comparison to the Gryphon Mephisto and Essence, Constellation Taurus and Inspiration Stereo 1.0, Audionet MAX amps, Mola Mola Kaluga mono amps. I have also had in this main demo system Dartzeel 108 and 458's, Gryphon Colosseum, Luxman 1000's and Veloce Mono amps. AEJG5201.JPG IMG_0931.JPG

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
I did a direct comparison to the Gryphon Mephisto and Essence, Constellation Taurus and Inspiration Stereo 1.0, Audionet MAX amps, Mola Mola Kaluga mono amps. I have also had in this main demo system Dartzeel 108 and 458's, Gryphon Colosseum, Luxman 1000's and Veloce Mono amps. View attachment 108983 View attachment 108984

I wish I live close to your audio shop to try all of this many times.
But I believe that was done on one speaker only ?
please correct me if I am wrong and you did that comparison on other speakers As well.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I did a direct comparison to the Gryphon Mephisto and Essence, Constellation Taurus and Inspiration Stereo 1.0, Audionet MAX amps, Mola Mola Kaluga mono amps. I have also had in this main demo system Dartzeel 108 and 458's, Gryphon Colosseum, Luxman 1000's and Veloce Mono amps. View attachment 108983 View attachment 108984
Thanks for your feedback.
I didnt know you are a professional.
Thanks for the sharing.
I like listen Vivid Audio.

Verdier

Oct 7, 2018
Kris, I can't speak to the performance of the Humboldt as I have not heard it, but the Heisenberg's are simply the best amps I have ever heard.
How would you describe the performance or the differences between Mephisto and Heisenberg?

In other words, do you find the Heisenberg superior in EVERY respect or in the sum of its qualities?

Background: Different things are important to everyone. For me, for example, the impression of a physical presence is most important. If I get the impression that the actors are in my listening room, that I can virtually touch them or walk around them, then I am happy to make slight concessions to other qualities.

Reactions: ton77 and christoph

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
There is no best amplifier for me .
The problem is to find the best association between the products: CD, preamplifier, amplifier, loudspeakers and cables....and for the room too...

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
There is no best amplifier for me .
The problem is to find the best association between the products: CD, preamplifier, amplifier, loudspeakers and cables....and for the room too...

Absolutely .
But there are few amps on the top that are worth to try. Some work better with specific speakers.

Speakers / Amps with speaker cable must have a harmony and balance.
Give it a time and try everything you can reach. Having it home for few weeks is a must.

There is not much space on the top of the Mount Everest so you need to be careful.
But onece you are there nothing is obstructing your vew And no need to change anything.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
I wish I live close to your audio shop to try all of this many times.
But I believe that was done on one speaker only ?
please correct me if I am wrong and you did that comparison on other speakers As well.
The Vivid G1's have remained as a constant, but I have demoed most on these amps with other Vivid speakers, YG speakers, Audiovector and Graham as well.

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
How would you describe the performance or the differences between Mephisto and Heisenberg?

In other words, do you find the Heisenberg superior in EVERY respect or in the sum of its qualities?

Background: Different things are important to everyone. For me, for example, the impression of a physical presence is most important. If I get the impression that the actors are in my listening room, that I can virtually touch them or walk around them, then I am happy to make slight concessions to other qualities.
Go back to the first post I posted in this thread. I describe the differences of these amps there.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing