Avalon Tesseract

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Saruman and Gandalf

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I'm seeing this question alot around here , why is this so important ? Do you have a preference when it comes to materials Used ..?

Yes, I DO.
And why does a speaker which intention is to "disappear" try to be so APPARANT?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well 4 15 inch woofers need a certain volume to work best , and that volume aint gonna be small !

By the way nirodha , did you also hear the Q 7 on the new pass labs gear , and was it better /different than with zanden gear???

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Well 4 15 inch woofers need a certain volume to work best , and that volume aint gonna be small !

By the way nirodha , did you also hear the Q 7 on the new pass labs gear , and was it better /different than with zanden gear???

Hi Andromeda. You're right: size matters ;-) I just don't like the "LOOK AT ME!!!" design. Especially the "impaling" shape of the top. Vlad (the Impaler) would love this design :p (just kidding ;) )
Vlad.jpg

This is overkill in the design department.
Yep, I heard the Q7 on the Pass. Not as liquid as the Zanden set but..I could live with both haha

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Andromeda. You're right: size matters ;-) I just don't like the "LOOK AT ME!!!" design. Especially the "impaling" shape of the top. Vlad (the Impaler) would love this design :p (just kidding ;) )
View attachment 8246

This is overkill in the design department.
Yep, I heard the Q7 on the Pass. Not as liquid as the Zanden set but..I could live with both haha

I just spoke with a dealer who was in Amsterdam for that audition...Q7 with full Zanden set, and he was amazed. He said one of the most memorable auditions in his career.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I just spoke with a dealer who was in Amsterdam for that audition...Q7 with full Zanden set, and he was amazed. He said one of the most memorable auditions in his career.

And he was right! It remains my number one audio nirvana experience :)
Alon Wolf was in Hilversum today BTW. Sadly, I couldn't make it myself.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It actually was in hilversum which is 20 K from amsterdam , the shop is called rhapsody .
Number one hmmmm???
certainly one of the best , although sometimes great listening expiriences from 8 years ago seem mediocre , after listening to some of the same gear lately , its almost as one gets used to it and expects something better al the time, any way , the way the set up /room is done is also very important
On my top 4 listening expiriences it includes twice a system from magico and zanden, kharma loudspeakers being the other, avalon used to be it , but after listening to the transcendant /spectral combo a couple of weeks ago the lust from early days was over , my own sounds way better /more transparent.

Yeah i know, he is on a meet and greet tour , showing the S 1 loudspeaker

Note almost forget the 2005 peter mc grath demonstration which was also great with Maxx 2 /halcro dm 68 /ml 32 /wadia 270, 27 i and nagra tapemachine .
on sheer impact the big wilsons always win , magico sounds way more (to ) friendly

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

And he was right! It remains my number one audio nirvana experience :)
Alon Wolf was in Hilversum today BTW. Sadly, I couldn't make it myself.

On my top 4 listening expiriences it includes twice a system from magico and zanden, kharma loudspeakers being the other,...the transcendant /spectral combo a couple of weeks ago ...

I should really give these Zanden 9600 monos a listen, and i could absolutely believe if i were to match them with something...it probably would be Magico. Zanden front end, Zanden amplification (maybe stick with the CJ GAT pre based on recommendations from a Zanden dealer) and Magico. a system i would love to hear someday!

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
It actually was in hilversum which is 20 K from amsterdam , the shop is called rhapsody .
Number one hmmmm???
certainly one of the best , although sometimes great listening expiriences from 8 years ago seem mediocre , after listening to some of the same gear lately , its almost as one gets used to it and expects something better al the time, any way , the way the set up /room is done is also very important
On my top 4 listening expiriences it includes twice a system from magico and zanden, kharma loudspeakers being the other, avalon used to be it , but after listening to the transcendant /spectral combo a couple of weeks ago the lust from early days was over , my own sounds way better /more transparent.

Yeah i know, he is on a meet and greet tour , showing the S 1 loudspeaker

Note almost forget the 2005 peter mc grath demonstration which was also great with Maxx 2 /halcro dm 68 /ml 32 /wadia 270, 27 i and nagra tapemachine .
on sheer impact the big wilsons always win , magico sounds way more (to ) friendly

True: Wilsons are the best hifi speakers in the world. Pun intended ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Llyod, Yeah i think that would be a great system , for me it would then have to be the Q7 , i found the Q 3 set up in the same room not on the same level , in that room way to little foundation .
But if i was shopping i would also look at the kharma db 9 for example , i dont find the hifi /magazine world to be always very objective, there are other fruits out there one just has to find and combine them
Wilson sasha for example where everyone raved about , i find it just a different speaker than the WP 7 not necessarily better.

For real impact .... you need big bad woofers

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I should really give these Zanden 9600 monos a listen, and i could absolutely believe if i were to match them with something...it probably would be Magico. Zanden front end, Zanden amplification (maybe stick with the CJ GAT pre based on recommendations from a Zanden dealer) and Magico. a system i would love to hear someday!

Maybe, just maybe...a full Zanden set (esp. with the front end) is too "polite". But, as everything, this is a matter of taste.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Agreed ,but listening in a concert hall to an orchestra , its also polite and never hard on your ears , so in absolute terms zanden might win .
Another great combo if the zanden poweramps are to friendly is the zanden /octave jubilee combination .
You hardly ever read about them but they are one of the best , maybe even best tube poweramps i have ever heard
Maybe, just maybe...a full Zanden set (esp. with the front end) is too "polite". But, as everything, this is a matter of taste.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Thanks...its always a fine balance, and obviously one i have not heard myself. That said, i have heard the Q1, Q3 and Q5...and i would want to put some Zanden in front of it. Unfortuantely, not having heard the Zanden 9600 monos (only the Zanden digital), i cannot say. The intense tonal purity of the Zanden is quite something and with a purely 'invisible speaker' like Q7 that also has bass apparently could be a lot of fun...my only question would be does one need 2 sets of Zanden monos to really drive the Q7s with utter effortless control?

all fun speculation...;) Meanwhile, happy to enjoy Zanden and CJ...thru Gryphon and Wilson ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Good question , after i listened to them for about 45 min i got the impression it was on the edge and they could do with more power /control .
Another point i found out is that the difference between the boulder amp and the zanden 7000 is not that great, im still in doubt which i like more , dont know about the 9600 series compared to boulder .
I guess my ultimate combo with the Q 7 would be boulder , a 3060 combo would be a thrillride, preferably with a tube pre
Neutrality all the way :cool:

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good question , after i listened to them for about 45 min i got the impression it was on the edge and they could do with more power /control .
Another point i found out is that the difference between the boulder amp and the zanden 7000 is not that great, im still in doubt which i like more , dont know about the 9600 series compared to boulder .
I guess my ultimate combo with the Q 7 would be boulder , a 3060 combo would be a thrillride, preferably with a tube pre
Neutrality all the way :cool:

Now THAT is interesting...Boulder and Zanden amps not having that great a difference. Interesting comment. I have heard by the way that on the Wilson X1/X2s that the Zanden monos were enough to crank to deafening levels without any strain...similar to Lamm ML3 which I think Steve will gladly confirm.

On the Q7s...with Magicos often being difficult loads...i could imagine the 9600s would absolutely amazing, except perhaps at the higher limits of dynamic range in which case, 2 sets or something else (boulder) might be required.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
However beautifull the SET is , its not the last word in control and neutrality.
If i was not so obsessed with sound :D, i would buy a boulder and forget about poweramplification altogether,it drives anything

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
However beautifull the SET is , its not the last word in control and neutrality.
If i was not so obsessed with sound :D, i would buy a boulder and forget about poweramplification altogether,it drives anything

;) Yes, its why (for me) i decided to go with the Gryphon...love the sound and, particularly with X1s, have no need to worry about power. And that probably goes for any long-term future changes i would make (Rockport, Genesis).

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
A 3060 is one amp i would save up for , looks gorgious ,a CAT legend or zanden 3000 doing the driving, unbeatable in my opinion , if you like " powersound "

Same could be said about your Conrad johnson /gryphon system i reckon

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A 3060 is one amp i would save up for , looks gorgious ,a CAT legend or zanden 3000 doing the driving, unbeatable in my opinion , if you like " powersound "

Same could be said about your Conrad johnson /gryphon system i reckon

Having had to carry my 176lb amp just recently with my wife...God Bless Her!...i can only imagine what it must be like trying to get a few people to move the Krell MRAs or the 3060.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing