Belt Drive Turntable sucks ? What do u thk

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
LOL! I'm a dentist(oral surgeon retired). After being decades in offices with noisy compressors, vacuums and pumps, the last thing in the world I would ever want is one of those things as part of a turntable/tonearm, no matter what the mythologies. The Versa guy must have been a glutton for punishment, because you learn those things just aren't that reliable in the long run.

However, guys won't tell you that because they want their devices to have resale value.

"They are just so perfectly reliable". Yeah, right.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
What a nice setup. How well do the horns image and integrate together? Do you have four electronic crossovers per channel?

Morning MrC. It isn’t my system unfortunately. I am not too sure of the details. I believe it is 6 way but not sure whether digital active or not.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Always wanted to hear a versa. How did you like it and why did you sell it?
I heard it at the late Pietro's place. It is quite a good table for the price it sells at used, though you need to hide the pump in another room.

The linear tracker is the shortest arm, like your little finger, so very agile and very nuanced

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I think the question is less whether there is measurable errors as opposed to whether those errors offend the ear. Right now the clicks, pops and sizzles on my vinyl discs offend my ears less than the pristine sounds of digital reproduction. I've spent lots of money and time trying to get good sounding digital and have basically given up on that. The sounds reproduced by a vinyl disc is also distorted more by the off center of the hole in the record than by most other types of distortion. If you are using a spherical stylus, I wonder if the distortion of a tonearm offset matters at all
What a nice setup. How well do the horns image and integrate together? Do you have four electronic crossovers per channel?
Owner uses 2 passlab crossover . Fantastic imaging , super realism . I believe partly because it‘s set up in a huge industrial lot & the speakers are able to “ breath “ . Hence it sounded fantastic

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
For precisely the reason that no technology is superior I have at home a Garrard 301 (Idler), SP10Mk3 (DD) and MS 8000mk2 (Belt). They are all good and none wins convincingly over the others imo. They also impart very different flavours allowing one to pick and choose depending on your mood and music choice. Now all I need is one TT where you can switch between all 3 modes of propulsion with the flick of a switch.
If this is true I highly recommend taking a closer look at your setup. While both the 301 and SP10 are good turntables even the MS RX-5000 easily blows them out of the water in every parameter including naturalness no less your 8000mk2.

david

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1 and howiebrou

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
Adding my 2 cents to this topic, years ago I bought a TTWEIGHTS Momentus Supreme duo drive table that Larry Denham designed to be belt or rim drive. By the time the rim drive motor was available, I didn't want to spend any more money and was happy with the sound of the 3 large O-rings turning a 70 pound platter. Just recently I spoke with someone who felt the rim drive was noisier than the belt, but it would interesting to get someone's feedback that heard both.

I recently spent time someplace that had an old Sony direct drive table and even for a cheap table and entry level grado cart I thought it sounded quite good.

picture of my table attached (on active vibration cancelation platform- which really does improve the sound).

Attachments

• 24E6854A-EDAE-4E6C-A4BC-83CA12C32E73.jpeg
    24E6854A-EDAE-4E6C-A4BC-83CA12C32E73.jpeg
    660.9 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: MrC.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing