Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The Classic Loudspeakers were nothing I'd want based on a performance at a show.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'd recommend hearing the Classic Audio Speakers in a non-show setting. I've heard them really perform and you can find many people on the web that have paired Lamm SET's with them.

I'd also recommend hearing my speakers, the PBN 2!5s JBL based system. You specifically asked for speakers with good manufacturer support, and I can think of no one better than Peter Noerbaek in terms of customer support.

Reactions: tima

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
:) Thanks Jack. I wish Alexia/Alexx were more efficient.
Vladimir still has Maxx 3s.

As far as I remember the Maxx 3's are not very efficient - although the impedance is similar to the Alexandria's.

BTW, if it was not for the budget limit, I would know what to recommend!:)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Y

Yes. Gerhard of Ayon is the international distributor for the LumenWhite. He is a regular in Bangkok. 60 watts SET with strong current can run the speakers flawlessly. Not a mainstream speaker. It has a magic of Zellaton with more bass at less than half the price. I asked if I could get these speakers with black drivers once. He said it's Lumen "WHITE."

Kind regards,
Tang

is that why you did not buy the crimson Stradivarius?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
With what amplifier?

91db, 4-Ohms/ minimum ~2.9 at 24Hz

I don't know that he uses only one amp, given his choices. We were talking preamps and phonos, but I'll try remembering to ask next time.

I do know that you cannot solely use Wilson specs to gauge a good match, regardless what Atkinson says.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
91db, 4-Ohms/ minimum ~2.9 at 24Hz

I don't know that he uses only one amp, given his choices. We were talking preamps and phonos, but I'll try remembering to ask next time.

I do know that you cannot solely use Wilson specs to gauge a good match, regardless what Atkinson says.
In a modest sized room with a robust 25-30 watt SET you can get really good results with a speaker of such specs. We have demonstrated this a number of times with the Thiel CS3.7. Of course having few more dB/watt would be nice. For a SET with a good output trafo the impedance would not be a problem.

Reactions: Andrew S. and tima

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
https://www.lansche-audio.com/products/s-series/no-4-2/

I had been happy with Lansche 4.1 for 11 years.

It has pristine treble out of plasma tweeter and excellent dynamics out of active two 10 inch woofers.

It also work well with tube amplifier with high efficiency.

Specifikation
Description
semi-active speakerDesign2-way closed speaker with integrated active subwooferTweeter1 x 0,3 in. CORONA plasma tweeterMidwoofer1 x 8 in. paper-coated cone active Woofer2 x 10 in. long neck construction
Crossover Frequencies
2.5 kHz
Impedance (nominal)
8 ? (minimum 6.2 ?)Sensivity96 dB / 1 W / 1 m
Frequency range
15 Hz - 150 kHz ±3 dBDimension44.0 x 11.4 x 20.0 in.. (HxWxD) Weight154 lbs. (70 kg)Amplifier1 x 1.200 Watt (power output)

Reactions: tima and morricab

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
https://www.lansche-audio.com/products/s-series/no-4-2/

I had been happy with Lansche 4.1 for 11 years.

It has pristine treble out of plasma tweeter and excellent dynamics out of active two 10 inch woofers.

It also work well with tube amplifier with high efficiency.

Specifikation
Description
semi-active speakerDesign2-way closed speaker with integrated active subwooferTweeter1 x 0,3 in. CORONA plasma tweeterMidwoofer1 x 8 in. paper-coated cone active Woofer2 x 10 in. long neck construction
Crossover Frequencies
2.5 kHz
Impedance (nominal)
8 ? (minimum 6.2 ?)Sensivity96 dB / 1 W / 1 m
Frequency range
15 Hz - 150 kHz ±3 dBDimension44.0 x 11.4 x 20.0 in.. (HxWxD) Weight154 lbs. (70 kg)Amplifier1 x 1.200 Watt (power output)

Thanks. The passive Cubus Mk.II with its 96dB efficiency at 8 ? also looks interesting.
Alas, no US distribution.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Thanks. The passive Cubus Mk.II with its 96dB efficiency at 8 ? also looks interesting.
Alas, no US distribution.
I love the Cubus driven by excellent tube amps :cool:
A tiny little bit bulky visually, though ;)

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
http://stereotimes.com/speak112410.shtml

Lansche 4.2 must improve on 4.1 with more extension on the bottom 15hz vs 20hz.

But overall they are very similar.

It is fast and dynamic with deep and wide soundstage, lot of details.

Its active bass units have no problem with crossing over passive mid range driver with fast transients.

It also looks more nice than Cube which appears to be bulky.

I can heartily recommend 4.2 since I had been happily using 4.1 for 11 years.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks for your feedback Christoph. Can you offer further insight to their sound or strengths?
...or anyone. Thanks.

I too liked the sound of these speakers...at least until they started demoing with Class D amps...then they revealed the dryness of those kinds of amps.

Back when I was a dealer for KR Audio, I sold a couple of Kronzilla stereo amps to a man in Switzerland that had the predecessor to the Cubus, called Goa, which sounded awesome driven by the KRs. They were 100 db/watt and had active xover for the bass, thus the need for two amps. The ion tweeter of course is effortless but for me the real trick is the presence from the midband.

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I too liked the sound of these speakers...at least until they started demoing with Class D amps...then they revealed the dryness of those kinds of amps.

Back when I was a dealer for KR Audio, I sold a couple of Kronzilla stereo amps to a man in Switzerland that had the predecessor to the Cubus, called Goa, which sounded awesome driven by the KRs. They were 100 db/watt and had active xover for the bass, thus the need for two amps. The ion tweeter of course is effortless but for me the real trick is the presence from the midband.

We heard the Cubus' together in Munich for the first time and I was blown away :eek:
I don't remember what amps they used back then but I think they where at least hybrids or even full tube?
In later years they changed to mola mola amps and all the magic was gone completely :rolleyes:

Some time later, I once schlepped my "little" KR 350i to a proud Cubus owner and while it was VERY good already with his hybrid amps (made by Mr. Lansche himself), they completely transformed driven by my little KR 350i 30 watts/ch from excellent to magical o_O
Very palpable, immediate and dynamic, just magical :D

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So Tim, did you end up evaluating any of these options?

Hi Keith - Among the mentions in this thread were:

Aries Cerat Symphonia
Avantgardes
Classic Audio Loudspeakers*
Devore Reference*
Evolution Acoustics*
Oswald Mill's Monarch*
PBN 2!5s JBL
Stenheim
Zu*

No evaluation beyond reading. I was surprised at what poor judges many speaker manufacturers are at what makes for an informational Web presence.

My interest was organized around the Lamm set amps and my question that started this thread was to learn what was out there to mate with those, most particularly hoping to find a compelling choice manufactured in the US (*). I also did not mention resale but that is a factor I consider though I did not want ot limit response by specifying those criteria. I"m not wealthy enough to afford making a mistake.

While the list above no doubt includes many fine examples, I saw nothing that really spoke to me. That might be a different conclusion based on actual listening!! The only Euro brand on that list I might consider is Karma. Posing my original question was not based on dissatisfaction with my current Lamm/Wilson setup. In a few years I'll consider moving to the Alexx v2 assuming that speaker happens; I confess to being very happy with their service and support. In the meantime I'm focusing more on improving my front-end electronics though I don't want to go into that here.

So no real insights from me, but thanks for asking. I envy your ability to travel as you have.

Reactions: Duke LeJeune

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing