Best digital

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I am in the market for a new digital front end. My system consists of Wilson Alexandria S2, Boulder 2060 amp and 2010 preamp, and transparent Opus cabling. Current digital front end is MBL 1621A transport and Boulder 2020 DAC. I'm very pleased with the sound, but my DAC is likely on the way out, and its only capable of 88.2 and I have a server I recently installed. I have tried several different digital front ends in the past (EMM Labs XDS1, and cDSA , Boulder 1021, Zanden, Ypsilon, Meridian 808, I'm sure I'm forgetting several) and nothing has been as good as my current combo. I'm open to all suggestions and look forward to the collective wisdom of the group. I have no specific budget, and would consider keeping or dumping my current transport.
Thanks,

Brian

chrisr

Member Sponsor
Aug 29, 2011
Chicago area
Brian, I read somewhere in this forum that Boulder may release a new 2120 DAC next year. As long as you're happy with your current sound, it might be worth investigating along this line. I would assume the new dac would accept higher rates and bit depths, preferably DSD too.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Spoke with the folks at boulder and they are planning a new unit. They also said there is no timetable for when it will be ready. They have other priorities at the moment. I can't wait for it unfortunately.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I think you should look into the dCS stack and the MSB Diamond stack. Some of the best digital I've heard.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Those are the leading contenders. I've never heard MSB. I never heard the Scarlatti outside of a show or dealer, and never heard it sound great. Can you provide any insight on their differences? There is a huge price difference!

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
There seems to be a number of very happy users of the LampizatOr DACs.

Their Level 5 would give you Hirez PCM and DSD playback.

If you don't need DSD there's a thread on WBF about the Totaldac.

PS Audio is working on a new DAC to be introduced in 2014:

"So what’s the future of DACS in the PS Audio ecosystem? DSD, of course. We’re right in the middle of a long range, long term project to fundamentally change the nature of the DAC itself from that of a compromised PCM/DSD decoder to a purpose built DSD architecture that also accepts PCM without compromise. It means getting away from off-the-shelf DACS and chips and heading down a brave new frontier essentially alone – but that’s ok, we kind of thrive on that.?"

I'm surprised Bruce didn't recommend Playback Designs.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I also like the idea of waiting for the Boulder DAC based on your system setup. in the meantime I would consider playing some time with a Mytek DAC and learn more on what HiRez is all about.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
PS Audio is working on a new DAC to be introduced in 2014:

I'm following PS audio closely (and subscribe to Paul's blog) and have not heard anything about this. What is your source of this information?

......change the nature of the DAC itself from that of a compromised PCM/DSD decoder to a purpose built DSD architecture that also accepts PCM without compromise....

EMM Labs and Playback designs already do this

It means getting away from off-the-shelf DACS and chips and heading down a brave new frontier essentially alone – but that’s ok, we kind of thrive on that.?"

MSB, dCS and probably a few more already do this.....

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The Weiss Medea Plus is the best digital I have heard, Weiss have a new dac about to be released the Medus , ( son of Medea) might be worth a listen, I use my Medeawiththe MAN301 Network Player, it is super.
Keith.

Ciamara carries the MSB, EMM Labs and Weiss line. Sanjay Patel may shed some light on how the three compare. Of course, just one man's opinion, but that is all we're getting in this informal polls anyway.....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The best digital I have listened to, by a wide margin, are the top DCS stack and the Metronome Kalista / C2-a combo. They have shown me some nuances of digital in reproduction of the real think that I could not find in other systems or in units such as my CD8, the Playback or EMMS in my system. However I can easily accept that these front-ends need matching with adequate systems, as they probably show a strong imprint, and can sound hyper-detailed, even harsh in some systems. All in my humble preference.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am using the Playback Designs MPS-5 for discs, but especially for dsd downloads.....which compare favorably in presentation to my vinyl and tape.

since the Playback Designs has a programmable discrete dac (not off-the-shelf dac chips) even though it's now 6 years old it's still cutting edge, it's now on version 25 of the software.

i'm an analog guy but love this digital.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am using the Playback Designs MPS-5 for discs, but especially for dsd downloads.....which compare favorably in presentation to my vinyl and tape.

since the Playback Designs has a programmable discrete dac (not off-the-shelf dac chips) even though it's now 6 years old it's still cutting edge, it's now on version 25 of the software.

i'm an analog guy but love this digital.

Mike,

I understand that the Playback Designs MPS-5 is highly considered for DSD, and a great match to your preamplifier in the 50 ohm mode, but aren't you afraid that your preference for DSD over PCM 192/24 is also due to its older implementation of PCM? There were very significant improvements in other top brands in the last two years.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike,

I understand that the Playback Designs MPS-5 is highly considered for DSD, and a great match to your preamplifier in the 50 ohm mode, but aren't you afraid that your preference for DSD over PCM 192/24 is also due to its older implementation of PCM? There were very significant improvements in other top brands in the last two years.

the software updates over the last couple of years have each moved PCM performance forward on the Playback Designs....both for redbook and higher level PCM. i have every one of the RR HRx 176/24 releases so far and those have sounded better and better with each software release.

is the Playback Designs equal or better than every/all other choices with PCM?

i don't really know the answer to that question since i have not had any of the competitors on my room for a long time. what i will say is that every visitor to my room recently have commented on how great all the digital has sounded. and i would also add that my experience with other brands of digital at shows has made me enjoy my digital even more.

i prefer Playback Designs PCM to any other i've heard.

yes; my darTZeel preamp and Herzan active isolation don't hurt the performance. but anyone with very high level digital is optimizing their gear.

hiroshige

Feb 13, 2011
Ciamara carries the MSB, EMM Labs and Weiss line. Sanjay Patel may shed some light on how the three compare. Of course, just one man's opinion, but that is all we're getting in this informal polls anyway.....

Hi Edorr

I don't think Sanjay carries MSB but maybe he's added it since I last talked to him. He does carry Thrax which uses the MSB R2R ladder dacs.

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
The EMM Labs XDS1 is the best SACD/CD player I've ever owned, and by a huge margin. I listened to EMM Labs, Playback Designs, Dcs, and Esoteric at the 2011 RMAF, and I thought the XDS1 was the most analogue sounding. But I acknowledge show conditions are not the best way to audition equipment, and I've not listened to those other players in my own listening room. I'll just say well recorded SACD's and RBCD's have great dynamics and presence using the XDS1 as my digital source.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The EMM Labs XDS1 is the best SACD/CD player I've ever owned, and by a huge margin. I listened to EMM Labs, Playback Designs, Dcs, and Esoteric at the 2011 RMAF, and I thought the XDS1 was the most analogue sounding. But I acknowledge show conditions are not the best way to audition equipment, and I've not listened to those other players in my own listening room. I'll just say well recorded SACD's and RBCD's have great dynamics and presence using the XDS1 as my digital source.

The EMM Labs DAC2X lost a shootout against MSB Signature (without any clock upgrade) hands down in my systems - the Signature sans clock upgrade is $20K less than top of the line MSB (Diamond / Galaxy), so you can presumably quite a bit better than the configuration I used against the EMM labs...... Others on the forum have reported ditching their EMM Labs and replaced with MSB.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing