Breaking news from DCS….

And sometimes, it's a "synergy thing": North American avantgarde distributor, who is also a wadax distributor, shows off avantgarde with dcs, not wadax
Hmmm. That is puzzling to me.

Maybe Todd would have some insight as to why?

Reactions: Lee
Sure, you may be right. Do you have any numbers? But again, why haven't the top dealers picked them up, instead of being relegated to the fringe? Surely that would validate their "greatness".
I am not going to share any numbers on this forum but I can confirm that the first production run of the Wadax Studio player was up front completely sold out.

I do not understand your remark as regards their ‘greatness’. Why would that depend on the behavior of some dealers who might be restricted because of their contracts?

Give the Wadax reference combo a listen under controlled (ie non show) conditions and - even if it in the end is not your cup of tea because you prefer a softer / less transparent sound of for example some tube dacs - you will recognize its ‘greatness’.

Last edited:
Ok, some may find Wilson titanium tweeter bright. I don’t agree but let me ask, do you believe recent silk tweeter is not dull? Doesn’t it have a wide shallow sound, which fails to reproduce transients and never resembles the sound of drum stick hitting cymbals?

IMHO the problem with Wilson speakers has always been the bass, especially double bass drivers not the tweeter.

Totally agree. I don’t like the speaker but its issues were never brightness, it was coherence and bass (not quantity of bass, which beginners go for but the quality). It is what I call a boom boom speaker that needs a bam bam amp

Reactions: mtemur
Totally agree. I don’t like the speaker but its issues were never brightness, it was coherence and bass (not quantity of bass, which beginners go for but the quality). It is what I call a boom boom speaker that needs a bam bam amp

I think these kinds of statements would be more valuable if you mentioned the specific Wilson model that you have bass issues with. The Wilson Audio line, like many others, is constantly improving and in my opinion, the bass, midrange and HF driver performance have improved immensely over time. I say that, in part, based on my own experience with the upgrade of my Alexia 2s to Alexia Vs.

Another observation stems from the recording Nick Arroyo and I did of the Texas Guitar Quartet, sonically one of our best efforts. We played that back on Sophia 3s with the metal and it was indeed bright. Later on, we played it on the new CST tweeter and it sounded natural and lifelike again, just like we heard in the two-track recording session.

Another observation involved a listening session with David Solomon from Qobuz at my house. David told me the system (then Alexia 2s) sounded great but the bass lacked the visceral impact of other systems. I had to admit he was right at the time and I went to work on this issue and brought in Jim Smith and we fixed some room acoustics issues and made real strides on placement. The 2s left a visceral impact when we were done. But then I upgraded the to the Vs and it got much more coherent and impactful still. I believe a key factor was the extra volume in the cabinets.

I think Wilson doesn't do justice to dCS (same for audio research, who also get judged by the wilson sound).

dCS may not be everyone's first choice, myself included, but it sounds fine in very musical systems.

And sometimes, it's a "synergy thing": North American avantgarde distributor, who is also a wadax distributor, shows off avantgarde with dcs, not wadax

It was certainly doing justice to dCS at Axpona where Quintessence had Wilson XVXs and Dagostino amplifiers. That was my favorite room at the show.

I think these kinds of statements would be more valuable if you mentioned the specific Wilson model that you have bass issues with.
Alexia 1, X2S2, XLF, XVX, older X2, Sophia, Sasha 1, Daw, all non-show demos. I have posted my listening history many times and so no interest in repeating.

Alexia 1, X2S2, XLF, XVX, older X2, Sophia, Sasha 1, Daw, all non-show demos. I have posted my listening history many times and so no interest in repeating.

Interesting. Some of the best bass I have heard is in the flagship XVX system at Evolution hifi. I also heard incredible bass at a Florida show with the DAWs. Maybe the variable is setup quality.

North American avantgarde distributor, who is also a wadax distributor, shows off avantgarde with dcs, not wadax
American Sound is the Canadian distributor for Wadax, not USA. they are North America for Avantgarde. likely they shared Axpona room costs with dCS.....as they are not a dCS distributor. might be a dCS dealer but it's not listed as a brand they carry on the website.

Reactions: Lee
American Sound is the Canadian distributor for Wadax, not USA. they are North America for Avantgarde. likely they shared Axpona room costs with dCS.....as they are not a dCS distributor. might be a dCS dealer but it's not listed as a brand they carry on the website.
Touché....

Hmmm. That is puzzling to me.

Maybe Todd would have some insight as to why?
What I’m hearing through my social network is that she was originally the Wadax distributor for all of North America. As part of her job, she persuaded the Analytical Sound to audition the Wadax dac, which resulted in that “Best digital ever” review. (Mind you - just from 1 guy; valin likes Soulution digital, while Fremer and Heilbrunn like dcs.) The print copies of the analytical sound state her as the distributor of Wadax.

However, shortly after that, the Spanish Wadax guy took away USA distribution from her, so he can sell direct. She still maintains the Canada distribution. But the Canada market is much smaller than USA. Anyone who travels to hear the Avantgarde can hear both Wadax and dcs, but she prefers dcs with Avantgarde but plays wadax with other systems. I wouldn’t be surprised if Heilbrunn and Fremer heard both when they visited her, but are just mum. (I’m sure she will be happy to sell the wadax! Big coin!!!)

Last edited:
Any news from dCS flagship?

Reactions: Amir

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu