Breaking news from DCS….

I found the move away from metal tweeters by Wilson a mistake and why I decided not to consider updating to either the XLF or Chronosonics (Also due to the price of the later).
That's what makes this a subjective hobby!

Reactions: nirodha and adyc
Amir: Wilson tweeter is not bright.
Stated as an objective fact.

Ron: To my ears every Wilson Audio loudspeaker with a metal dome tweeter sounded slightly bright and fatiguing.
Stated as a subjective opinion.

I wonder if these opinions are more about the tweeter or more about the electronics and /or the wires often used with Wilson speakers.
Armchair speculation is fair enough. We all do it.

But there would be nothing to wonder about if you actually were to go to listen to Puppies or to MAXXes or to X-1s.*

* I always issue the caveat that Lamm electronics seem to tame the Wilson metal dome tweeter.

Stated as an objective fact.

Stated as a subjective opinion.

Armchair speculation is fair enough. We all do it.

But there would be nothing to wonder about if you actually were to go to listen to Puppies or to MAXXes or to X-1s.*

* I always issue the caveat that Lamm electronics seem to tame the Wilson metal dome tweeter.

Ron, I assume people are stating their opinions when they make a comment on an audio forum and leave out the qualification that it is only their opinion.

I have heard all of those Wilson speakers, and I cannot identify the sound of the tweeter outside of the context of the system. So yes, I am speculating, although I’m not sitting in an armchair. I am speculating that what one hears out of a Wilson speaker presentation is a combination of a lot of factors and I’m not in a position to isolate the tweeter sound. You apparently have.

I have also heard Sasha and Alexia and the older big Wilson there are more efficient. The high frequency presentations sounded different, and I left to speculate as to why.

There are objective and subjective aspects to this hobby, but it is beyond the scope with this thread to discuss that subject.

Reactions: Amir
To my ears every Wilson Audio loudspeaker with a metal dome tweeter sounded slightly bright and fatiguing.

There is a reason Dave Wilson abandoned the metal dome tweeter, and replaced it forever more with a soft dome tweeter.
Ron, I listened to wilson watt puppy 8 many times and It was not bright. I also had Wilson Alexandria and It was ok. When speaker is not in proper position you will hear bright sound. Awful Electricity can also affect on the sound.
As I said before you should find the source of problem.

Reactions: PeterA
Each of us is entitled to our subjective sonic opinions.

IMG_5867.jpeg

(highlighting added)

Last edited:
Ron, I assume people are stating their opinions when they make a comment on an audio forum and leave out the qualification that it is only their opinion.

I have heard all of those Wilson speakers, and I cannot identify the sound of the tweeter outside of the context of the system. So yes, I am speculating, although I’m not sitting in an armchair. I am speculating that what one hears out of a Wilson speaker presentation is a combination of a lot of factors and I’m not in a position to isolate the tweeter sound. You apparently have.

I have also heard Sasha and Alexia and the older big Wilson there are more efficient. The high frequency presentations sounded different, and I left to speculate as to why.

There are objective and subjective aspects to this hobby, but it is beyond the scope with this thread to discuss that subject.
While there may be other contributing factors, with an amplifier with extended high-end response and low distortion, the tweeters in these speakers are aggressive. The Focal domes of yesteryear are known for this coloration in this particular Wilson design. Ron is correct. With an SE amplifier such as a Lamm GM-70s, the high-frequency edginess, not to mention HF extension, is curtailed to make for a very listenable loudspeaker.

On a related subject, one must allow for differing crossover implementations rather than the common mistake of attributing a typical characteristic to the same drivers when implemented in a different topology by various loudspeaker designers.

All beryllium tweeters sound like this,
All ceramic drivers sound like that,
All horns are bright, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee and Ron Resnick
Could you please argument your statement?
Because 80% of your post are about Wadax or attempts of putting down the competition, and you appeared on this forum about the time Wadax did. :rolleyes: You also seem to be first with new Wadax marketing material, almost like someone is paying you. But you are just the biggest fanboy i guess.;)

Reactions: adyc
Because 80% of your post are about Wadax or attempts of putting down the competition, and you appeared on this forum about the time Wadax did. :rolleyes: You also seem to be first with new Wadax marketing material, almost like someone is paying you. But you are just the biggest fanboy i guess.;)
I wrote here about Wadax long time before anybody due Audio Exotics influence…
I can understand this could be controversial but i was and still i’m tired of standard brands, dealers and opinions….
I saw Wadax born and evolution and yes. I’m a big fan !!! :cool:

To me the biggest problem with Wilson tweeters in their taller speakers like XVX is the tweeter height. Try having a friend squat down so that his mouth is at the same height as your ears and have him talk to you. Now have him stand up and lean his head down so that his mouth is pointed at your ears but above them and have him talk to you. It doesn’t sound the same and there is no way to perfectly correct for this.

• Haha
Reactions: tima and Lagonda
I disagree you, Michael Fremer is not awful and wilson tweeter is not bright.
What is the point of a bald statement like this in a subjective hobby?

At least in retrospect there is practically a subjective consensus that the Wilson Audio metal dome tweeters of past eras were slightly bright and fatiguing. I believe Michael Fremer himself does not disagree with this in restrospect.
here is my SWAG based on my experiences. i've heard Wilson speaker tweeters sound bright, and relatively smooth, but not really all the way spot on butter smooth. and for me this is likely an issue of bass integration, and the various degrees of it happening. Wilson's mostly have 'big' bass, and fast bass, but absolutely seamless bass integration escapes them for whatever reason in my experience. mostly the better bass integration with recent Wilson's i've heard was with the lesser models....just less bass to have to corral. or some nice tubes to cover them up a bit.

with my personal Evolution Acoustics MM7 set up experiences i found that integrating my bass towers after 6 weeks of working at it brought me the smoothest and most extended natural highs i've heard. and it was interesting while i was going through the minute adjustments to the bass towers (which crossover at 35hz-50hz) when i would shut off the power to my bass towers to see whether liked it better on or off i noticed very clearly that the highs were much more complete and natural with the bass towers on and got better and better as i reached the point of complete bass satisfaction and seamless integration. perfect bass overtones complete and balance the highs.

it might also help having deep bass extension and even sealed box bass. my bass towers are -3db @ 7hz and -6db @ 3hz....on paper.

this is not to say that Wilson's are not integrated objectively; it's simply not their best thing, and other speakers are maybe farther down that road. or maybe that Wilson's need a perfect set-up and mature system to find that point.

like i said; this is a scientific wild ass guess. YMMV. maybe i'm dead wrong.

Last edited:
DCS and Wilson have “complete” ranges of products at various price/performance points. With the introduction of the Wadax Studio, we may see an increase in dealer interest.

And hiring Brandon Lauer certainly will help!

Reactions: Dierkx1
here is my SWAG based on my experiences. i've heard Wilson speaker tweeters sound bright, and relatively smooth, but not really all the way spot on butter smooth. and for me this is likely an issue of bass integration, and the various degrees of it happening. Wilson's mostly have 'big' bass, and fast bass, but absolutely seamless bass integration escapes them for whatever reason in my experience. mostly the better bass integration with recent Wilson's i've heard was with the lesser models....just less bass to have to corral. or some nice tubes to cover them up a bit.

with my personal Evolution Acoustics MM7 set up experiences i found that integrating my bass towers after 6 weeks of working at it brought me the smoothest and most extended natural highs i've heard. and it was interesting while i was going through the minute adjustments to the bass towers (which crossover at 35hz-50hz) when i would shut off the power to my bass towers to see whether liked it better on or off i noticed very clearly that the highs were much more complete and natural with the bass towers on and got better and better as i reached the point of complete bass satisfaction and seamless integration. perfect bass overtones complete and balance the highs.

it might also help having deep bass extension and even sealed box bass. my bass towers are -3db @ 7hz and -6db @ 3hz....on paper.

this is not to say that Wilson's are not integrated objectively; it's simply not their best thing, and other speakers are maybe farther down that road. or maybe that Wilson's need a perfect set-up and mature system to find that point.

like i said; this is a scientific wild ass guess. YMMV. maybe i'm dead wrong.

Wilson tweeters were bright in the past when they used the Focal tweeters but the CST silk dome is really neutral. As for bass, I have not had any bass integration issues on my Alexia Vs.

I don't typically talk about other reviewers. Regardless of what you think of Harley's opinion about how a product sounds, most of the time he does, imo, an excellent job describing features and explaining the technology behind them.

Robert is one of the most honest and methodical reviewers I have met. His ability to explain complex technology in plain English is simply remarkable.

I found the move away from metal tweeters by Wilson a mistake and why I decided not to consider updating to either the XLF or Chronosonics (Also due to the price of the later).

This is quite a minority opinion.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu