Breaking news from DCS….

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Like you I have also demoed expensive (20K+) gear in my home. Not sure how I could tell if the gear is right for me without listening to it in my setup. Like you said it comes down to the right dealer and/or manufacturer.
It does become challenging, irrespective of the cost of a component when it involves large speakers. That's when it's helpful to have settled on a particular manufacturer, via store visits, and listened to the progression of their line over the years. In my case, that's been true for the Wilson lineup.

Reactions: Lee and bryans

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Are you serious? are you aware that dcs has been making rounds to dealers to demo the non-apex and the apex dacs? how do you think they make the sale?

Can't you separate a demo from a review?

Reactions: jfrech

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Just got my Vivaldi apex upgrade done yesterday. Have always run on 2V. For those who have done the upgrade, is there a break in period? Can’t say I’m in love with the sound on initial plug in or after overnight burn in.
Indeed the first 50 hours will be rough but it will start transforming shortly thereafter and will sound its optimum around 500 hours plus. Be patient….you will be rewarded.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Others have similar experiences? My dealer told me a couple hours!
In my case, it takes hundreds of hours to finally get optimal results. But you'll note most of the benefits within the first 100 hours. Also, it depends on the level of your system. The more resolving and revealing the downstream devices (preamp, and amp along with cabling) the more you'll notice the degree of improvement over time.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
In my case, it takes hundreds of hours to finally get optimal results. But you'll note most of the benefits within the first 100 hours. Also, it depends on the level of your system. The more resolving and revealing the downstream devices (preamp, and amp along with cabling) the more you'll notice the degree of improvement over time.
Do you actually remember what you system sounded like during the breakin phase? For example at 50 hours or 100 hours, etc. That's the one thing I have always had trouble with. I think it sounded a certain way but am I really just telling myself that?

Reactions: Ron Resnick

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
Do you actually remember what you system sounded like during the breakin phase? For example at 50 hours or 100 hours, etc. That's the one thing I have always had trouble with. I think it sounded a certain way but am I really just telling myself that?
Sorry, but I cannot recall. All I know is that unlike many other upgrades or new equipment, this seems to have simply gotten better across the board over time. It wasn't like oh man where's the xxx and then later it's back or suddenly better. It simply felt at first as though I'd gone from an overly sharp and etched presentation to a more relaxed, yet pinpoint presentation with far more levels of texture. I liken it to getting a much better prescription for eyeglasses for your ears.

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Sorry, but I cannot recall. All I know is that unlike many other upgrades or new equipment, this seems to have simply gotten better across the board over time. It wasn't like oh man where's the xxx and then later it's back or suddenly better. It simply felt at first as though I'd gone from an overly sharp and etched presentation to a more relaxed, yet pinpoint presentation with far more levels of texture. I liken it to getting a much better prescription for eyeglasses for your ears.

For me it was "Why is it so bright, and where's my bass?"

Around hour sixty it was "Oh, there's my bass" and it was far less etched.

Now with hundreds of hours on my APEX there is no brightness and the low end is amazing.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Just got my Vivaldi apex upgrade done yesterday. Have always run on 2V. For those who have done the upgrade, is there a break in period? Can’t say I’m in love with the sound on initial plug in or after overnight burn in.
Hi, I would have said about 100 hours. I always thought it took 24 hours from full power off just to warm up, plus you have the break in. It'll sound a LOT better. I am sure after a few hours it will get a bit better, a bit better in 24 hours, and in a few days will be fantastic

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
For me it was "Why is it so bright, and where's my bass?"

Around hour sixty it was "Oh, there's my bass" and it was far less etched.

Now with hundreds of hours on my APEX there is no brightness and the low end is amazing.
well said !

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Others have similar experiences? My dealer told me a couple hours!

You can expect about a week until it sounds full bodied and poweful. I remember that I have been using a well burned-in demo unit from my dealer for a couple of weeks and was disappointed when I got my brand new sealed APEX upgraded unit. But as far as I remember you should immediately note a cleaner sound and better bass definition that the non APEX.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I have a highly resolving system. Wilson XVX, Boulder 3060 amp and 2110 preamp. The sound lacks detail, a bit bright, a bit of "muddiness" (as someone else described), and bass lacks focus. My concern is that I am scheduled to get my XVXs spiked next weekend. I'll run it continuously until then. Hopefully it's close by then.

stevebythebay

Oct 21, 2012
I have a highly resolving system. Wilson XVX, Boulder 3060 amp and 2110 preamp. The sound lacks detail, a bit bright, a bit of "muddiness" (as someone else described), and bass lacks focus. My concern is that I am scheduled to get my XVXs spiked next weekend. I'll run it continuously until then. Hopefully it's close by then.
Keep us apprised of how the sound changes. If it's consistently like others have experienced, the sound will get far better in many ways.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
It should easily be better by then. Keep us posted

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
In case of interest, Martin Colloms (HiFi Critic UK) published a great review of the XVX/Vivaldi combo with D'agostino M400 amps that you may find helpful. The review should be available on Absolute Sounds website.

Reactions: microstrip

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey BFlowers,

Fantastic system! Had not appreciated how far you'd taken it since we last spoke. Congrats! Amazing. I am pretty sure I DO remember the 3060 and quite possibly the 2110...but not the mighty XVX! Best wishes for the Apex burn-in.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
Huge difference. Really sounds good now. Took 24x7 streaming about 5 days. I've never used this specific descriptor (for many reasons) but it sounds more analog. Still very revealing, but now more effortless. Can't say I've noted huge differences in the bass yet, but I already had pretty good bass. We'll see as the hours move along.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
My Apex "surgery" was done in my home. The transport and clock remained power on. We just took the DAC up to the dining table for more room. I suspect that the temperature stabilization plays a part in what some folks are reporting. The DAC takes a day or two to get stabilized and the clock temperature to settle. That could contribute to a "break in" type improvement.

The Apex sounded great immediately, I have not noticed much change in it over time.

Reactions: jonaiken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing