Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

I.agree you can record anything in a garage. And it can sound very good. When I hear someone say a professional studio,I have a different image. I see a piece.of real.estate and inside it contsins
30 or 40 microphones. A mixing console. And the good ones with quality pots, slides and electronics are not inexpensive There is easily $30,000 in different processors in the studios rack. They also have a serious electrical service with a large quality isolation transformer such as a Torus ot Controlled Power. And there is a variety of recording rooms. All those rooms need to be wired. Cable and my labor cost money. As well as a comtrol room with playback equipment. Heck, you still need to meet ADA and have a bathroom. Anyone involved.in commercial development? I spent my life in it. A flipping bathroom can cost $100,000 in a commercial building. And what about a trained, known recording engineers. They want a paycheck too.
I could be wrong. But I believe to build out a real recording studio and staff.it is going to set you back a good Million. Maybe 2. Thats an opinion without building one myself. I have stood in 3 home ones. 2 looked incredibly expensie. 1 was a.good friend done for maybe $20k. He did all the construction work and it was in his garage.

I don't sell anything outside panels, Torus transfoemers and design services. Trying to write a book on the design side.

I think Rexp gets frustrated when he sees some pretty common sense on what sort of quality and performance your going to get with vinyl equipment. Its my progress with vinyl over the years. I went through the whole upgrade itus on a lower budget level. Rexp may be stuck at the $1,000 spot and not experienced what a better cart, phono pre, arm, table bring to the playback.
I went through the eact same process with my digital. Look back.to Audionirvana and see where Alrainbow and I would talk. Alrainbow coached me through all sorts or server upgrades in hardware and software. I went through about 6 DAC. All the while my vinyl and digital would leapfrog each other as one or the other got better.

2 days ago I stopped by Mike Lavignes. His digital is OMG good. Is his vinyl better on some material. Sure. But his digital in his system is so far beyond most any other system I have heard. Expensive. Yes. But digital can be all you ever need.

Im not sure what counts as "a stake in the analog vs digital issue" but he has ~100+ posts in this thread alone. Not as many as your ~200+ posts in this thread. I suppose if you value your time, that's a stake.
My god, I have 100 posts. I should close my phone, open my desktop and design the grounding for the recording.studio and rooms for 3 homeowners that came to me in the last 2 weeks. Posting on this forum is such a time suck. And I have so much work to do. On my land and house that is.

Being that I'm not designing and selling panels for a couple years, I am going to put a real effort into not reading or submitting in forum chatter. If you don't see me, that is what Im doing.

… just got a new Antipodes k22g4… boy what a huge difference that made… looking for a matching DAC now… I no longer believe that it’s not possible to make digital at least just as enjoyable as analog, maybe different, but just as good in its own right…

Reactions: Audiohertz2
I.agree you can record anything in a garage. And it can sound very good. When I hear someone say a professional studio,I have a different image. I see a piece.of real.estate and inside it contsins
30 or 40 microphones. A mixing console. And the good ones with quality pots, slides and electronics are not inexpensive There is easily $30,000 in different processors in the studios rack. They also have a serious electrical service with a large quality isolation transformer such as a Torus ot Controlled Power. And there is a variety of recording rooms. All those rooms need to be wired. Cable and my labor cost money. As well as a comtrol room with playback equipment. Heck, you still need to meet ADA and have a bathroom. Anyone involved.in commercial development? I spent my life in it. A flipping bathroom can cost $100,000 in a commercial building. And what about a trained, known recording engineers. They want a paycheck too.
I could be wrong. But I believe to build out a real recording studio and staff.it is going to set you back a good Million. Maybe 2. Thats an opinion without building one myself. I have stood in 3 home ones. 2 looked incredibly expensie. 1 was a.good friend done for maybe $20k. He did all the construction work and it was in his garage.
Built one for $650k in 1999, good used SSL board and Protools in programming rooms. My partner owned microphones and plugins already. Rooms designed by professional studio builders.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing