Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

I can think of a few more, the very expensive mc cartridges beat in terms of music and liveliness. Grace F 9, AT-ml 180cc, vpi zephyr, technics epc, b&o mm4 , old deccas and a lot more.

My Signet TK7e has proven to be a benchmark in MM cartridges, which I easily prefer over the Ortofon Cadenza Black.

Reactions: DasguteOhr
Road rage is equally confusing. I believe the extremes result from this format of communication rather than actual fact. No one would behave as some do here in person face to face. Alcohol could also explain some?
Maybe they do behave like this in person, and get punched a lot ! ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ScottK
clearly the analog recording, mastering and playback processes lose much less of the musicality than the digital processes. not claiming why or how, but it's easy to hear it

the 'life' is not the part that vinyl adds, it's the part that the analog process does not remove.

like organic orange versus a non organic one. how do you describe the difference in the taste?

Musicality , life and finally, the organic orange ... :rolleyes:

Ok, this is subjective forum where some people want to avoid any technical aspects! Curiously science and measurements will easily tell us the differences between the different types of oranges!

Reactions: Mike Lavigne
like an organic orange verses a non organic one. how do you describe the difference in the taste?
So, you could obviously buy everything organic if you wanted to, but oranges will have minor benefits if any. The point of buying organic is apart from higher nutrients because of the way they are grown, herbicides and pesticides get ingested with non-organic. So best to avoid food that you eat regularly, and which you do not have to peel, i.e. is directly exposed to the chemicals.

The most important is oats, because non-organic oats have the most herbicides and pesticides, greater than used on other food. But bananas, oranges, mangoes, you will be fine. Avocado is a serious superfood, there is zero herbicide and pesticide penetrating through the skin. Apples, strawberries, etc better to go organic if having regularly, as well as veggies.

(All courtesy a podcast heard of a lead organic food researcher who has been doing this for years).

Last edited:
Reactions: hopkins
So, you could obviously buy everything organic if you wanted to, but oranges will have minor benefits if any. The point of buying organic is apart from higher nutrients because of the way they are grown, herbicides and pesticides get ingested with non-organic. So best to avoid food that you eat regularly, and which you do not have to peel, i.e. is directly exposed to the chemicals.

The most important is oats, because non-organic oats have the most herbicides and pesticides, greater than used on other food. But bananas, oranges, mangoes, you will be fine. Avocado is a serious superfood, there is zero herbicide and pesticide penetrating through the skin.

(All courtesy a podcast heard of a lead organic food researcher who has been doing this for years).
not wanting to go too far afield with this direction. with the exception of some times when we eat at restaurant's and have no choice, my wife and i eat 100% organic. i do most of the shopping and we are consistent, have been for decades. the exception being myself and some meat i eat. my wife is hardcore, i'm not as much. but it's all we eat.

as to the benefits and the specifics, i would defer to her knowledge, not mine. but no doubt that they taste better. sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. my point bringing up oranges is that eating both organic and non organic oranges is an experience most of us have so it's common and useful as an analogy. we all recognize that for whatever reason the organic tastes better and more complete as a taste experience. it's more satisfying, causing us to want to eat more of it if we have a choice. like analog.

i will say that when i post about organic oranges i'm reminded i miss our dear brother Tango. :(

Last edited:

The most important is oats, because non-organic oats have the most herbicides and pesticides, greater than used on other food. But bananas, oranges, mangoes, you will be fine. Avocado is a serious superfood, there is zero herbicide and pesticide penetrating through the skin. Apples, strawberries, etc better to go organic if having regularly, as well as veggies.

Herbicides and pesticides are also taken up by the plants' root system and distributed throughout the plant, including the fruits and vegetables. Skin won't help with this pathway. Avocado trees, by the way, absolutely suck up water like sponges.

Reactions: Solypsa
Herbicides and pesticides are also taken up by the plants' root system and distributed throughout the plant, including the fruits and vegetables. Skin won't help with this pathway. Avocado trees, by the way, absolutely suck up water like sponges.

No, according to a lead researcher. Will find the podcast and link

The Avocado skin absorbs it but we dispose the skin.

Tim Spector is one of the world's top 100 most cited scientists (not including our audio scientists) a scientific co-founder of ZOE, and the author of the bestselling book Food for Life: The New Science of Eating Well.

No, according to a lead researcher. Will find the podcast and link

There are books and scientific publications on the topic. Uptake depends on the type of herbicide or pesticide, the amount applied, and the specific plant species. A couple sources (there are many others)...

"Herbicide Movement and Metabolism in Plants". This book provides a detailed overview of the mechanisms by which herbicides are taken up and transported by plants.

"The Uptake and Metabolism of Pesticides in Vegetables" by J.E. Casida. This paper reviewed the uptake and metabolism of pesticides in vegetables.

Amen. Like arguing about ice cream or what woman is better looking.

Caliendo in London was voted to have the best gelato. I have tried different flavors and they are quite superior to other gelato places. No argument.

And, just a tip, ice creams cause minimal glucose spikes compared to other desserts like brownies, so you can have many.

Next time I am in London I will check them out. There used to be a great place right next to Covent Garden but I think they closed. I love gelato and ice cream.

Caliendo in London was voted to have the best gelato. I have tried different flavors and they are quite superior to other gelato places. No argument.

And, just a tip, ice creams cause minimal glucose spikes compared to other desserts like brownies, so you can have many.
I'm going to be in Rome in 2 weeks. Gelato recommendations sought.

The problem is that people conflate digital music technology with digital music implementation. When I take a live mike feed from my mixing console and do A to D, and then D to A to feed my monitoring system, there is NO noticeable difference from the original signal on A/B comparison, at least with the equipment and the format (DSD128) that we use. With PCM, even 24/192, we can hear a difference. But with DSD128, none of us in the team can hear any difference.

This also matches my experience doing all sorts of PCM and DSD recording. DSD is closer to the live event on our acoustic work.

... Such is the state of the art today that if one records music to DSD with a high end professional ADC and play back on a high end DAC, I bet nobody can tell the difference between the original analogue and the digital on blind testing.

The previous post reminded me that I have a (probably stupid) question: how is the original analogue signal "stored" and played back in order to compare it to the "digital" playback?

Last edited:
Reactions: Solypsa
Musicality , life and finally, the organic orange ... :rolleyes:

Ok, this is subjective forum where some people want to avoid any technical aspects! Curiously science and measurements will easily tell us the differences between the different types of oranges!
Easy to measure perhaps, but difficult to replicate

i own 1000 vinyl rips to DSD128, and own the vinyl too. easy to hear what DSD128 is not able to retain. yes, there are less than perfect parts of the ADC-DAC process, of course.

but if i do a 1:1 dub with my tape deck i literally cannot tell the difference. if i do a second dub from the first one and compare it to the original, now i hear a touch of noise. but otherwise the same.

the two processes are magnitudes different in retaining the musical message. every digital conversion loses something. no exceptions.
How do you account for Adrian not hearing a difference between live and DSD128? Could he be using a better ADC?

Any tips on healthy biscuits I can have with my coffee in the morning?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu