Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Even if you listen to old music ,digital is still better Becaue like I said , it's indistinguishable from the master,digital or analog :)

AudioGod,

Honestly mate, you are embarrassing yourself! Give it a rest!

I use digital (CDs) as my source and will argue all day that, with the right recordings/masterings/pressings, it can be an incredibly satisfying medium, but your campaign is just silly and annoying.

I have heard both vinyl and tape replay that is also incredibly good.

Reactions: AudioGod
I thought the original question was interesting. I also thought the thread would avoid the typical analog vs. digital nonsense that we see time and again on forums frequented by less enlightened members of the audiophile community.

audiogod presents as the reincarnation of Julian Hirsch … obviously the Pioneer amp is indisputably better than the Audio Research amp because its specifications are better. Listening tests? Who needs them. We have the measurements.

And I am not in either camp. Both “are what they are.”

I don't get the criticism somehow
This whole thread's purpose is to compare digital to vinyl and vice versa.

There is purpose in debate, but repeating the same tired specifications over and over again serves no purpose
I don't think there is a single member who is not aware of the supposed perfection of digital audio and it's technical superiority over analog.

However, many of us have found that digital rarely lives up to it's promise.

I will argue that digital is actually more fragile (easier to make sound bad) than analog, but with the proper care it can sound wonderful

Last edited:
I don't get the criticism somehow
This whole thread's purpose is to compare digital to vinyl and vice versa.
Without discussing the value proposition, the original question isn’t being addressed.

good Lord, some of you crack me up, defending your stance to others. if you prefer digital over analog great, and vice versa. I have Burmester for both, I have compared them with same music material, I love my streamer, its easy, opens me up to a ton of sound I cannot or do not have on vinyl, however, since comparing them I have used my TT probably 75-85% of the time over the streamer, to each there own, for the record my streamer and tt is about the same price, within a few grand

That is quite a contrast. The cheap vinyl sounds much better to me at least. The problem is that the systems and rooms and set up are so different that it is hard to make any conclusions about vinyl vs. digital from these two examples. But yes, no contest here.
Interesting, I just listened to these two. The “cheap vinyl“ as Peter puts it, sounds awful to me. Harsh and aggressive. Sounds like bad digital. The room recording, with all its disadvantages, sounds much better to me..

The Qobuz Version posted it here is also horrendous! Obviously a terrible mastering.

Reactions: Rexp and AudioGod
Wow. So many of you have never heard a great tape or vinyl playback system, that is SAD.
There is NO hiss and NO background noise of any kind with a great turntable, and I imagine with a top tire R2R.
Go to a show - at least - and listen to an SAT/AF0/1/Nagra TT.
I hear tape hiss on many of 1960 classical and jazz CD's. And it's part of the original recording and not a system noise artifact. For example, try the early Miles mono recordings or the Mercury Living Presence CD's. If you do not hear it on the vinyl version, I would question the accuracy of the system.

I have never been to a concert in my life that was dead quite, zero noise, that's part of the enjoyment with analog

Reactions: Rexp
What is their metric or criteria for "superior," "best" and "best quality"?
In the ways that matter, resolution, dynamic range, how close to the actual performance that they just recorded etc. etc. They discussed it at length. I suggest you interview them yourself in a YT video.

Michael Fremer and Robin Wyatt just produced and released a digitally recorded album, "Rufus Reid Presents Caelan Cardello," on both vinyl and CD, mastered by Bob Ludwig. Mr. Fremer said the sound was a "10". It was a recording of a live performance that Mr. Fremer attended.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing