Can digital get to vinyl sound and at what price?

Come on Al, I know you like your early Black Sabbath. I just wish I had kept my original LPs from those daze of confusion.

That's not the point, Peter. Like you, I also like Bach, who died more than 200 years before we both were born. Were those good ole times? Hardly. You got an infection, and you could die from it. In the winter, the only room in the house that was heated was the living room. Yeah, fun times, alright.

That's not the point, Peter. Like you, I also like Bach, who died more than 200 years before we both were born. Were those good ole times? Hardly. You got an infection, and you could die from it. In the winter, the only room in the house that was heated was the living room. Yeah, fun times, alright.
Do not forget the out houses. My mom’s family had one until the ‘40’s. Nothing like having to go when it was freezing and snowing. Give me modern tech like heated floors and towel bars!, and indoor plumbing.

Reactions: PYP and Al M.
It would be interesting to do a blind test between a pro DAC like an RME ADI-2 Pro FS and a hi end turntable .
I'm not sure it would be possible to know which is which
I would not consider a "RME ADI-2" a true Professional DAC.... We need to get into the Merging Horus, Prisim, Lavry and EMM Labs ADC8 IV to hear what's really happening!

Reactions: Lee and AudioGod
I would not consider a "RME ADI-2" a true Professional DAC.... We need to get into the Merging Horus, Prisim, Lavry and EMM Labs ADC8 IV to hear what's really happening!
OK but would you agree that pro DACs can compete with if not destroy hifi DACs ?

Do not forget the out houses. My mom’s family had one until the ‘40’s. Nothing like having to go when it was freezing and snowing. Give me modern tech like heated floors and towel bars!, and indoor plumbing.

Yeah, you're right. It was way worse.

OK but would you agree that pro DACs can compete with if not destroy hifi DACs ?
For the most part, since Pro DAC'S are all about the sound, whereas Audiophile DAC's are all about the cosmetics.

Case in point.... Weiss made a DAC for consumers.... made it look pretty and jacked the price up another thousand or so.... the insides were exactly the same as the Professional DAC

• Love
Reactions: AudioGod
Yeah, you're right. It was way worse.

if you’re talking about nostalgia for the past, I presume you mean things we actually experienced. I enjoyed the 70s 80s and 90s. Then I got married and had kids. Those were great years too. Nothing like little children around the Christmas tree or three generations around the Thanksgiving table. Yes I am nostalgic for those times and I’m not going to complain about them. I never mentioned living in Bach’s era or going to an outhouse in the winter. Someone brought that up to create extreme contrast to support some argument.

Yes having heated seats, a sunroof, and a back up mirror in my truck is convenient, so is a remote for my flatscreen TV. Soon we can all celebrate driving electric cars that don’t make noise or have fumes. I guess I just don’t have bad memories of what life was like when I was younger.

Reactions: AudioGod
It is not about having bad memories about the past, it is about thinking they were better than the actually were. We all have had great times in the past as well as the present but we tend to romanticize the old days.

Reactions: Pokey77
Ask professional sound engineers ;)
No audiophile knows more than the person who creates the album
Oh Please, i had a few professional grammy nominated sound engineers/ producers working for me/with me, when i owned a commercial recording studio. :rolleyes: They are very focused on getting a sound that works for the great masses, not audiophiles. They care about convenience, not ultimate fidelity, most of them would not recognize good sound if it bit them in the ass !o_O

Last edited:
It is not about having bad memories about the past, it is about thinking they were better than the actually were. We all have had great times in the past as well as the present but we tend to romanticize the old days.

Well said. Fortunately, I am less of the romanticizing variety.

if you’re talking about nostalgia for the past, I presume you mean things we actually experienced. I enjoyed the 70s 80s and 90s. Then I got married and had kids. Those were great years too. Nothing like little children around the Christmas tree or three generations around the Thanksgiving table. Yes I am nostalgic for those times and I’m not going to complain about them. I never mentioned living in Bach’s era or going to an outhouse in the winter. Someone brought that up to create extreme contrast to support some argument.

Yes having heated seats, a sunroof, and a back up mirror in my truck is convenient, so is a remote for my flatscreen TV. Soon we can all celebrate driving electric cars that don’t make noise or have fumes. I guess I just don’t have bad memories of what life was like when I was younger.

I also cherish some fond memories of the past, but the present is just better.

Oh Please, i had a few professional grammy nominated sound engineers/ producers working for me/with me, when i owned a commercial recording studio. :rolleyes: They are very focused on getting a sound that works for the great masses, not audiophiles. They care about convenience, not ultimately fidelity, most of them would not recognize good sound if it bit them in the ass !o_O
There's no contradiction between my comment and yours .
It's their job to get good sound for the masses , but still they strive for *good * sound.
And some of them do care about audiophiles and SQ in general more than others.
It still has nothing to do with the fact that digital is the closest to the original master vs vinyl .

Oh Please, i had a few professional grammy nominated sound engineers/ producers working for me/with me, when i owned a commercial recording studio. :rolleyes: They are very focused on getting a sound that works for the great masses, not audiophiles. They care about convenience, not ultimately fidelity, most of them would not recognize good sound if it bit them in the ass !o_O

Very interesting comment, Milan. That certainly puts a new perspective on it. Whoa.

Unless the engineer's clients catered to Audiophiles........ which is what I did......

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing