Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For Americans that's small

depends...in Texas or Arizona, probably. In Massachusetts where I live, not so much. I don't think many houses in Massachusetts suburbs have a room that's as "big" as mine, at 24 x 12 x 8.5 feet (I got lucky, in relation to the price of my house). It's still nowhere near what I would consider required for a large speaker to sound optimal.

Reactions: bonzo75

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
For Americans that's small

Based on Steves amps , looking on i think the combination is well managed and instead of over powering the room may just present a good balance between power and space a smaller speaker would not ..

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
My LL room is similar in size to Steve's but with a shorter ceiling (20x16x8). I was told the Alexx would fit quite comfortably.

I believe part of the success of Wilson speakers is their adaptability to sound good in varying size rooms - their models with adjustable modules were built for that.

Reactions: asiufy

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
We had our X1s in a room 13' x 30' x 7.3'. And we listened the SHORT distance due to the place being open plan kitchen at one end and living room at the other. So listening distance was 8'.

And while they may not have sounded perfect...they were still FAR superior for us to the [tremendous] SF Guarneri and SF Strads that had previously occupied their exact locations in the room. Matching the SF mellifluous sound (shockingly) with far greater control, depth, power and of course effortlessness. And in terms of the kinds of music we play (from a cappella/violin sonata...all the way to deep house electronic/Hans Zimmer soundtracks)...things were universally better for us with far larger X1s than the stand-mounted and smaller floor-standing speakers.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My point being, given our different perceptions the experience of timing integration of sounds coming off multi-driver speakers is perhaps subjective, perhaps stereo imaging and sonic integration is a psycho-acoustic event.

We each make our choices. You seemed satisfied with yours as I with mine.

Hey Tim, sorry for the delay as I was on vacation. Always enjoy our back and forth as we are respectful to each others' opinions.

I owned the original Wilson Sophia for years over the Watt Puppy for the same reason, just didn't know it at the time (well that, and the 6 and 7 were bright). I also find the analytical, somewhat disconnected balance in other speakers like Magico. I think this is a reason some people can't give up their Maggies- which are all about a holistic sound. Certain other listeners come to my room and have a more left-brained read on things and really focus on specific instruments, detail, vocals, etc - and is probably why they don't hear it. So yes, I'd agree that people hear things differently.

Reactions: tima

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hey Tim, sorry for the delay as I was on vacation. Always enjoy our back and forth as we are respectful to each others' opinions.

I owned the original Wilson Sophia for years over the Watt Puppy for the same reason, just didn't know it at the time (well that, and the 6 and 7 were bright). I also find the analytical, somewhat disconnected balance in other speakers like Magico. I think this is a reason some people can't give up their Maggies- which are all about a holistic sound. Certain other listeners come to my room and have a more left-brained read on things and really focus on specific instruments, detail, vocals, etc - and is probably why they don't hear it. So yes, I'd agree that people hear things differently.

Thanks Keith. I think we can safely leave it there. ;)

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Interesting to see they are using Spectral amps in the development of the XVX

Wilson uses multiple amplifiers including Spectral during the development process of speakers. In the Wilson Music Room, D'Agostino M400, VTL Siegfried II, and Nagra HD amps are used. In Room #2 in the factory, ARC and D'Agostino were present. I may have missed one or two others, but I was on the road a great bit of the time XVX was in development.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Wilson uses multiple amplifiers including Spectral during the development process of speakers. In the Wilson Music Room, D'Agostino M400, VTL Siegfried II, and Nagra HD amps are used. In Room #2 in the factory, ARC and D'Agostino were present. I may have missed one or two others, but I was on the road a great bit of the time XVX was in development.

Terrific video Bill. Thanks for sharing. Not only do I think that Daryl has hit a home run with the XVX but I can also say that as a Wilson owner for well over 25 years the baton has not only been successfully passed by Dave but I can also feel the presence of a new generation in Wilson Audio
As the saying goes “you had me at hello” :)

Reactions: metaphacts

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Terrific video Bill. Thanks for sharing. Not only do I think that Daryl has hit a home run with the XVX but I can also say that as a Wilson owner for well over 25 years the baton has not only been successfully passed by Dave but I can also feel the presence of a new generation in Wilson Audio
As the saying goes “you had me at hello” :)

More coming soon Steve.

Mailed a week and a half ago (no political comments on the defunding of USPS ). Finally starting to reach subscribers.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013

Hello Bill, many thanks for sharing this great review. Lots and lots of info in it. The only thing Robert didn't cover was performance at low listening levels. Wondering if you have heard the Chronosonic XVX system in Asia (HK I think) with top Goldmund electronics and if so, was there any aspect of that system that really stood out for you? Many thanks

Reactions: goernie20

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing