Chronosonic XVX.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Not sure that's always true. I'm sure I read a report of a guy who moved from big EA MM3s to Magico Minis.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I think so. Maybe he needed to hide his spkrs from his wife.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Lol , he said to his wife :

Okay, okay dear i willl sell the big expensive ones and buy 2 cheap small ones :)

We could actually open a thread on that , 1001 reasons to go from big speakers to small ones :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I have been watching a lot of these Psych and Monk type murder mysteries on Prime. So we can almost make up an audiophile monk story here. Monk comes to investigate the disappearance of an audiophile's wife. He looks at marks all over the floor where speakers have been dragged over. He realizes the audiophile is lying, because with his keen observation (which is what Monk and Psych are about for those who don't watch) the speaker the audiophile claims to have are different from the footer marks of the speaker on the floor. In fact, Monk realizes the audiophile has moved from big speakers to small speakers. Audiophile is therefore suspect no.1 in disappearance of the wife, because which audiophile will go to a smaller speaker without an ulterior motive?

Monk therefore orders the floor dug up, thinking the audiophile is hiding the wife beneath the fake floor. However, this turns out to be the only case where the Monk fails. Audiophiles have fake floors. And audiophiles change components without any motives - this is what the Monk didn't account for - he has never had it so tough, trying to establish motive in a case where an audiophile was concerned. The wife had left because the small speakers no more sounded like an orchestra. There was no real case. Like with all audio, it was a wild goose chase. Hence the Monk failed.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I’m Biased , love big speakers sound , no matter how good small speakers sound, i want a big one ..

Bite me ...!

I want a big speaker too, but it depends if I really want one ;). In my room (24 x 12 x 8.5 ft) a large speaker only would make trouble with set-up and with what I would call "boundary colorations" on the interface between speaker and room, especially given the relatively narrow width. Also, I would want a large speaker that does small scale, like chamber music, at least as well as my monitor/sub system does, and that becomes very quickly very expensive, much more expensive than what I paid for my speaker combo. And I would like to have a large speaker that does large orchestra really well -- which means again very expensive, and in a much larger room than mine.

So yes, a large speaker in an ideal world with a large room and a large budget. Totally uninterested in a large speaker in a mid-sized room like mine and with limited budget. In my view, many audiophiles stuff too large speakers into too small rooms.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
many audiophiles stuff too large speakers into too small rooms.

but sometimes you get lucky and they can sound darn good in that smaller room ;)

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I want a big speaker too, but it depends if I really want one ;). In my room (24 x 12 x 8.5 ft) a large speaker only would make trouble with set-up and with what I would call "boundary colorations" on the interface between speaker and room, especially given the relatively narrow width. Also, I would want a large speaker that does small scale, like chamber music, at least as well as my monitor/sub system does, and that becomes very quickly very expensive, much more expensive than what I paid for my speaker combo. And I would like to have a large speaker that does large orchestra really well -- which means again very expensive, and in a much larger room than mine.

So yes, a large speaker in an ideal world with a large room and a large budget. Totally uninterested in a large speaker in a mid-sized room like mine and with limited budget. In my view, many audiophiles stuff too large speakers into too small rooms.
I have had people tell me my speakers (YGXV) are too big for my room (15x20x9 to 14 foot slope ceiling). The sound says otherwise. I have heard the same speakers in big rooms not sound nearly as good.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
but sometimes you get lucky and they can sound darn good in that smaller room ;)

Sure, that's possible and great when it does work out, but it's a risk. One that I am not willing to take, apart from not having the money for the type of speakers that I really want (hint: very expensive).

I am not willing to go for a cheaper compromise because I know too well what I would lose compared to what I already have. I am not interested in taking steps backward in order to gain in other areas.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I have had people tell me my speakers (YGXV) are too big for my room (15x20x9 to 14 foot slope ceiling). The sound says otherwise. I have heard the same speakers in big rooms not sound nearly as good.

Even though I personally would prefer more room width than 15 feet, in terms of possible clearing from sidewalls it is a big difference from the width of my room at just 12 feet.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Give me small speakers any day.;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Domestic violence ....
Lol.
Only time when i would want small speakers is if i was still a nomadic hunter gatherer.

Jokes aside smaller speakers can also sound good if set up rigtht and the right balance is there.
A well designed 3 way can be full range .
Full range sound is very addictive though .
Look forward seeing also the woofertower pics besides the xvx

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
What shows the ability of a system more. To play Jazz or female vocals and alike that sounds great on every system or dynamic rock recordings like Led Zep or Nirvana or super dynamic electronic recordings like Trentmoller or Leftfield?

I know my answer :cool:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
What shows the ability of a system more. To play Jazz or female vocals and alike that sounds great on every system or dynamic rock recordings like Led Zep or Nirvana or super dynamic electronic recordings like Trentmoller or Leftfield?

I know my answer :cool:

Me too, and it's the same as yours. However, large orchestra is even more challenging.

Actually, when it comes to jazz: soft jazz may sound great on most systems, but ballsy, dynamic jazz doesn't.

Reactions: Alrainbow and XV-1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing