Chronosonic XVX.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
The ability of a system to largely play loud and full range and sound alive... or the ability of a system to sound natural and nuanced and alive, or to be complex and compelling and to be whole or to be simple and compelling and to be whole. Not sure that any one capacity is really easier than the other. It’s hard to do justice to the best of all music on any system. Maybe they are all simply just different abilities... though I would actually want my system to be able to do it all.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The ability of a system to largely play loud and full range and sound alive... or the ability of a system to sound natural and nuanced and alive, or to be complex and compelling and to be whole or to be simple and compelling and to be whole. Not sure that any one capacity is really easier than the other. It’s hard to do justice to the best of all music on any system. Maybe they are all simply just different abilities... though I would actually want my system to be able to do it all.

I would love that too. And you're right, simple and compelling can be hard to achieve as well.

Ideally, I'd like to have at least two systems in two rooms:
1) a system with large speakers in a large room for large orchestra and other big stuff
2) a system with less large speakers in a medium sized room for smaller ensemble, chamber and intimate music

It would depend on which system I'd like to play rock, larger jazz, electronica etc. That's why I said "at least two systems" ;).

No system can portray all scale perfectly. There is a reason why many famous classical concert venues feature a large hall and a smaller one. Hint: it's not just about seating capacity.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Me too, and it's the same as yours. However, large orchestra is even more challenging.

Actually, when it comes to jazz: soft jazz may sound great on most systems, but ballsy, dynamic jazz doesn't.

So why is lite jazz muzak the staple diet of hifi shows and some audiophiles?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Shows: Because show setups usually suck, and exhibitors need to hide the flaws with lite music. Play Jeff Beck "Live at Ronnie Scott's", and more than 90 % of show systems will fall apart. The emperor does have no clothes after all ;).

The uninspiring music is one of the reasons I wasn't enthusiastic about going to shows already pre Corona.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Indeed better safe then sorry , most demonstrators think.
You dont wanna put on a CD that might bring out the flaws of a speaker for example .
Thats something that is reserved for the customer ;) at home .:oops:

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Not sure that's always true. I'm sure I read a report of a guy who moved from big EA MM3s to Magico Minis.

As much as I loved my Mini IIs, they simply could not do large scale music as well as my larger Q3s. I listened to three large scale symphonies last night, and the room was full of energy. The Minis did not sound nearly as engaging or convincing (or natural) with these same three recordings: Beethoven's Violin Concerto, Brahm's Piano Concerto, Holst's Planets.

Larger than the Q3s would be even better, I am sure, but I do not think the room could handle it, pressure wise or aesthetically. I disagree with those who have written they would only move away from small speakers if they got really big expensive speakers in a really big room. A good medium sized pair of speakers in a small to medium sized room like mine can be much more satisfying than a small speaker in the same room. And as I say, I loved those Mini IIs which were the best small speaker I have heard. I owned them for about ten years.

So, add me to the list of people who would like to own large speakers. I've never heard the EA MM3, and I have seen photos of the Magico Mini in a really big room.

Last edited:
Reactions: asiufy

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
My first big speakers were Wilson Alexandria X2S2 that I bought in 2010, before I had a room to put them in. I was in the market for a house and asked Wilson what room did I need to get the best sound, expecting to be told I needed a big room. They said that could be done in almost any size room. I confirmed again with Wilson when I knew the size of room they would be in, before I bought the house. I even asked if the X2S2 in that size room would sound better than any other size speakers and again they said yes, without any qualifications. They were right.

Was the XVX designed to need a large size room? I don't think anyone should assume the answer, Wilson can answer that.

Reactions: tima

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
My first big speakers were Wilson Alexandria X2S2 that I bought in 2010, before I had a room to put them in. I was in the market for a house and asked Wilson what room did I need to get the best sound, expecting to be told I needed a big room. They said that could be done in almost any size room. I confirmed again with Wilson when I knew the size of room they would be in, before I bought the house. I even asked if the X2S2 in that size room would sound better than any other size speakers and again they said yes, without any qualifications. They were right.

Was the XVX designed to need a large size room? I don't think anyone should assume the answer, Wilson can answer that.

I always give an example like this one .

Would you like be stuck in a closet with 2 xvx s facing you from 1 feet distance , no i bet it sounds horrible .

Would you like to listen to 2 xvx s set up in a stereo setting in an open field .
I bet it doesnt sound good .

So there definetively is an optimum in space volume in which a speaker can breathe energize the space correctly
And that differs regarding speakersize .
With the woofertowers incl it would be different again .

Defining that space is going from good to mindblowing .
With an investment like xvx(incl subs )i would like that part to be 100 % as well.
Whats best forum lol

Just laws of nature

Last edited:
Reactions: Al M.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Bad operators at shows IMO, i have walked into so many rooms and 3 mins later walk out , really horrible demo’s , bad music , too low or too high into clipping , really bad boring demo’s no way to tell if the HiFi there was good or bad ..

Sad ...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I havent been to a show in may be 10 years .
I was supposed to go this year .
But i have to say from all the shows i went to between 2004 and 2010 the one with peter mc grath from wilson audio stood out as 1 of the best , he even brought a little nagra tape machine.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I always give an example like this one .

Would you like be stuck in a closet with 2 xvx s facing you from 1 feet distance , no i bet it sounds horrible .

Would you like to listen to 2 xvx s set up in a stereo setting in an open field .
I bet it doesnt sound good .

So there definetively is an optimum in space volume in which a speaker can breathe energize the space correctly
And that differs regarding speakersize .
With the woofertowers incl it would be different again .

Defining that space is going from good to mindblowing .
With an investment like xvx(incl subs )i would like that part to be 100 % as well.
Whats best forum lol

Just laws of nature
You are making unfounded assumptions. If the XVX were designed by Wilson to sound great from 1 foot distance, you would lose your bet. I suspect that the XVX are designed to sound spectacular in rooms many on this thread would never consider putting them in. I owned big Wilsons for 8 years. A 12' room width would not have been a problem for the X2S2 or XLFs. I would be surprised if it was a problem for XVXs, which are better in every way.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Unfounded ?
I design speakers my self and i have done may be 500 different speaker measurements from all kinds of distances ./heights ( measurement section on this site)
Sound waves from a tall speaker ( different ls units / freq bands )as your X 2 or XVX need a certain distance to converge, sure you can adjust the response a bit with the resistors included in the wilson design but it aint 1 feet not 2 and also not 3 feet for optimal listening .
Probably something like 2,5 -3 meters would be a minimum but you need to measure that .
Which wilson has done off course

Reactions: Al M. and bonzo75

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A 12' room width would not have been a problem for the X2S2 or XLFs. I would be surprised if it was a problem for XVXs, which are better in every way.

I'll believe it when I hear it.

Count me skeptical, deeply skeptical ;).

Reactions: bonzo75

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You are making unfounded assumptions. If the XVX were designed by Wilson to sound great from 1 foot distance, you would lose your bet. I suspect that the XVX are designed to sound spectacular in rooms many on this thread would never consider putting them in. I owned big Wilsons for 8 years. A 12' room width would not have been a problem for the X2S2 or XLFs. I would be surprised if it was a problem for XVXs, which are better in every way.
I totally agree. In fact when I moved to my new house and built my sound room I also reached out to John, Daryl and Dave and asked the same question.My room is 20 x 15 x 9

In fact Dave commented that the X2 Series ll would sound fine in my proposed room. With my recent change in sitting position and adjustment of the upper modules I am now sitting between 8-9 feet fro the speakers. It sounds excellent

Reactions: Alrainbow and hogen

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Probably something like 2,5 -3 meters would be a minimum but you need to measure that .
Which wilson has done off course

In the Wilson Alexandria set up manual the closest distance in the algorithms provided is 8' from the speaker

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing