Clarisys Audio Auditorium Loudspeaker

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Quite a few things improve. Some highlights: double the impedance, twice the current in the magnetic field, higher resolution, less movement (movement is not good, movement equals non linearity, I don't know why companies proudly advertise that on a ribbon/planar speaker).

But most importantly, the same tonality, decay and texture across the range and crossover regions. Different drivers have different sounds, different textures and speed. By employing the same driver across the entire range, you reduce this problem to non existent.

Will you be at the show? I can show you :)

You need excursion to produce energy , the idea is to keep them linear in the field , so some do go this way ..!

Regards

Florian

Jun 26, 2016
Switzerland

Florian

Jun 26, 2016
Switzerland
You need excursion to produce energy , the idea is to keep them linear in the field , so some do go this way ..!

Regards
Yes, doesn't mean we have to. We also don't believe in complex external passive crossovers that's why you won't find a single resistor in our crossovers anymore.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
Yes, doesn't mean we have to. We also don't believe in complex external passive crossovers that's why you won't find a single resistor in our crossovers anymore.
What do you think about series crossovers? Nothing beats the musicality of a first order series crossover. :cool:

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Do you use autoformer as resisitors exsample
Silvercore_Autoformer.jpg
I

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Do you use autoformer as resisitors exsample
View attachment 128093
I

Prolly using the number of series traces to increase impedance for attenuation ..!

Resistors do affect the quality of sound to the very sensitive ribbon traces , ribbons tend to be resistance and inductance sensitive ..!

Wire wound low inductance is a must ..!

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
What do you think about series crossovers? Nothing beats the musicality of a first order series crossover. :cool:

Not a fan of series xovers myself and first order works well if you can control out of bandwidth distortion , odd order is a good choice for some ..!

Regards

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Prolly using the number of series traces to increase impedance for attenuation ..!

Resistors do affect the quality of sound to the very sensitive ribbon traces , ribbons tend to be resistance and inductance sensitive ..!

Wire wound low inductance is a must ..!
On the contrary, ribbons have a very large capacitance which puts a lot of strain on an amplifier in terms of phase angle. Amplifiers with a tendency to oscillate do not like ribbon speakers. An autoformer in front of the ribbon changes the phase. Try it out, listen and then judge.
P.S ribbons need a transformer to get voltage in high current

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
On the contrary, ribbons have a very large capacitance which puts a lot of strain on an amplifier in terms of phase angle. Amplifiers with a tendency to oscillate do not like ribbon speakers. An autoformer in front of the ribbon changes the phase. Try it out, listen and then judge.

You should measure one and show us the magnitude and Phase would love to see those high phase angles ..

:)

Putting an autoformer in front of one is junk IMO..

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Putting an autoformer in front of one is junk IMO.
You seem to be very confident and knowlegable about hi end audio in general as well as speaker / crossover designs. Are you a manufacturer of these type products or just a serious hobbyist with an ee background? Best.

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
You seem to be very confident and knowlegable about hi end audio in general as well as speaker / crossover designs. Are you a manufacturer of these type products or just a serious hobbyist with an ee background? Best.

Very Confident and Knowledgable , but humble enuff to let Ked and others take the lead while i watch from the back of the class ..

Regards

Reactions: sujay

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Sorry I asked. I am so tired of the mind games some members seem to enjoy playing with others on this forum. I do not understand it and do not want to. Lots of innuendo, egos, one upmanship and gotchas. How utterly immature and childish. Have fun kiddos.

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
You should measure one and show us the magnitude and Phase would love to see those high phase angles ..

:)

Putting an autoformer in front of one is junk IMO..
I think we're talking about two different things. An acoustic phase has nothing to do with the (phase position) load of the amp. With the active crossover, you no longer need any passive crossover (components). Nowadays, this is done via Roon with Audiovolver, for example. You can easily correct the phase with it. Grimm or Fink Audio do this, which, as far as I know, sounds pretty good.
A autoformer is really good as a replacement for a resistor in a passive xover.
I had not read that an active cover is used for the loudspeaker.That's the end of the matter for me.
Artilce in german

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Sorry, you are thinking about electrostatic speakers, which are mainly capacitive. Flat Ribbons are essentially pure resistance and very easy loads for amplifiers.

Reactions: Audiohertz2

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
1712319020118.png

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Electrically speaking, a ribbon is an unwound capacitor with voltage applied to its ends. A transformer is connected in front of it so that an amplifier can drive it at all. It depends on how well the inductive load (transformer) compensates for the ribbon (capacitive load). Otherwise you have reactive current as a load for the amplifier. This means that you destroy the amplifier's usable power. In your diagram it looks like it works quite well, but it's not always like that. Old Apogee speakers were always considered a difficult load to drive. You need stable amplifiers such as T&A 3000 mono amps,or sac" the amplifer" stable up to 0.5 ohms. Actually, the last one mentioned was short-circuit proof. They only wrote 0.5 ohm on it so that nobody use as welding machine at home.;) 67347c_600x600.jpg

Reactions: Alrainbow

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Electrically speaking, a ribbon is an unwound capacitor with voltage applied to its ends. A transformer is connected in front of it so that an amplifier can drive it at all. It depends on how well the inductive load (transformer) compensates for the ribbon (capacitive load). Otherwise you have reactive current as a load for the amplifier. This means that you destroy the amplifier's usable power. In your diagram it looks like it works quite well, but it's not always like that. Old Apogee speakers were always considered a difficult load to drive. You need stable amplifiers such as T&A 3000 mono amps,or sac" the amplifer" stable up to 0.5 ohms. Actually, the last one mentioned was short-circuit proof. They only wrote 0.5 ohm on it so that nobody use as welding machine at home.;) View attachment 128147
A short piece of straight ribbon has almost no reactance (capacitance or inductance) at all...the winding is what makes it inductive (for an inductor or transformer) or capacitive (if wound with sheets of dielectric). A straight ribbon is purely resistive...but has a very low resistance. What made Apogess hard to drive was a low resistance...and even this was made a lot easier with later generations. Only the Full Range used transformers. The Scintilla was a 1 ohm speaker because it didn't use transformers and that is what made it hard to drive...not because it had a high capacitance and/or phase angles. Later Apogees were all above about 3 ohms. The way that they got the resistance up was by making the traces on the mylar film run like a snake, going up and down several times, while remaining flat to increase the path length greatly. There is no coiling or whatever you think. The only reactance in the system was the crossover elements.

As you can see from the plot above, the Apogee Stage had a pretty flat 3-4 ohm resistance and relatively low phase shift...nothing highly capacitive or inductive going on there.

Look, you seem very confused about this but I know you have good technical competence...sit down and have a think about it before you post again.

Electrostats have high capacitance and are known to make some marginally stable amps oscillate. I know this from firsthand experience when my Transcendent Sound OTLs oscillated like mad on my Acoustats....I rushed to shutdown to prevent meltdown.

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
In actuality the flat impedance of a ribbon with low C/I is due to the very low BL factor of the drive system , or so it’s thought in some circles :)

Regards

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I think we're talking about two different things. An acoustic phase has nothing to do with the (phase position) load of the amp. With the active crossover, you no longer need any passive crossover (components). Nowadays, this is done via Roon with Audiovolver, for example. You can easily correct the phase with it. Grimm or Fink Audio do this, which, as far as I know, sounds pretty good.
A autoformer is really good as a replacement for a resistor in a passive xover.
I had not read that an active cover is used for the loudspeaker.That's the end of the matter for me.
Artilce in german

Acoustic Phase , you lost me there we are discussing electrical phase inherent in any drive system , you do realize phase is an relationship has nothing to do with XOver choice ..

Regards

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
A short piece of straight ribbon has almost no reactance (capacitance or inductance) at all...the winding is what makes it inductive (for an inductor or transformer) or capacitive (if wound with sheets of dielectric). A straight ribbon is purely resistive...but has a very low resistance. What made Apogess hard to drive was a low resistance...and even this was made a lot easier with later generations. Only the Full Range used transformers. The Scintilla was a 1 ohm speaker because it didn't use transformers and that is what made it hard to drive...not because it had a high capacitance and/or phase angles. Later Apogees were all above about 3 ohms. The way that they got the resistance up was by making the traces on the mylar film run like a snake, going up and down several times, while remaining flat to increase the path length greatly. There is no coiling or whatever you think. The only reactance in the system was the crossover elements.

As you can see from the plot above, the Apogee Stage had a pretty flat 3-4 ohm resistance and relatively low phase shift...nothing highly capacitive or inductive going on there.

Look, you seem very confused about this but I know you have good technical competence...sit down and have a think about it before you post again.

Electrostats have high capacitance and are known to make some marginally stable amps oscillate. I know this from firsthand experience when my Transcendent Sound OTLs oscillated like mad on my Acoustats....I rushed to shutdown to prevent meltdown.

Plenty amplfiers ring like a bell on ESL’s , its one of the reasons you no longer see these tests being done in reviews. JA for eg uses the easiest of squarewave measurements not to shame the needy .. :)

Regards

Reactions: Alrainbow

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing